Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-26-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Teleread's hands-on of the iRex iLiad

edit: Don't miss Branko's follow-up where he answers reader questions!

Teleread's savvy contributor Branko Collin managed to visit those folks from iRex Technologies and to get a first hands-on glimpse of the iRex iLiad, you know this e-book reader that has a crushing complement of features: 8.1" 1024x768 touch-enabled E Ink display, WiFi 802.11b, 64MB Ram + 224MB Flash, and support for PDF, XHTML, TXT, MP3.

Branko discovered a few new interesting details:
  • The display is covered with a glass plate, which supposedly protects the water-sensitive E Ink microcapsules better than a plastic covering would.
  • It includes a "travel-hub" with a socket for the power supply, an RJ-45 Ethernet and a USB port (a cradle may be offered as an add-on later).
  • The actual screen refresh appears to be slower than the previously mentioned 0.95s. According to Branko: The device seemed to take two seconds to render a new page; one to render it in memory, and the second to refresh the E Ink layer.

Make sure to visit Teleread to see a bunch of new photos depicting the iLiad in all its beauty. Our thanks to Branko for making the trip to the iRex headquarters.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
That slow refresh bothers me.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
That slow refresh bothers me.
Especially when you see how nicely the Jinke HanLin readers do screen refresh. I think there are a couple of links to videos on the comparison page.

Edit: Here we go: http://www.the-ebook.org/files/jinke/CIMG2367.AVI
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Especially when you see how nicely the Jinke HanLin readers do screen refresh. I think there are a couple of links to videos on the comparison page.

Edit: Here we go: http://www.the-ebook.org/files/jinke/CIMG2367.AVI
Actually I think it's similar to the iRex; watch when the person presses a key how it takes about a second to start the refresh and then another to finish it. The actual refresh might take around one second only, but it seems, like Branko said, there is another second involved in either rendering the content internally or transfering it from the memory to the E Ink screen.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
the second part is up now.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
gkbeer
Enthusiast
gkbeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch,
refresh?

Doesn't it render/buffer the next/last page(s) while reading the current one?

Edit: I like the idea of using a glass front. I'm hoping it is more wear resistant.

Last edited by gkbeer; 03-27-2006 at 12:19 AM.
gkbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
glass?
will that be better than plastic covered ones + screen protector?

no other protective case?
to my knowledge...glass breaks...

i think hanlin is better in this regard...
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Shame that the Hanlin has very little in the way of anti-relecttive coating on their screen though. ( from looking at available pictures. )
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:54 AM   #9
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
Shame that the Hanlin has very little in the way of anti-relecttive coating on their screen though. ( from looking at available pictures. )
Info from Jinke V8 owner... (from first hands, so to say)

Chinese put 2 (two) coating films on the screen of V8! )))

It's realy so! One coating film can be seen and removed just like in many other devices, like pda etc.

The other film is almost "invisible".
No one can suspect, there is one more coating film.

The edges of the film are under the plastic frame of the V8's body.
It can be carefully removed with a little help of a needle.

After this the screen is absolutely pretty! Almost no reflection at all!
So a secret of V8 ))))

Since 9-th of march it was never charged! The power saving and usage of the device is tremendous!
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:53 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

HeyTaKir!

Could you perhaps write a review of your device for the forum?

Also...how did you manage to obtain one of these and how much did you pay???
Did you go to China directly?
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:52 AM   #11
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
2 CommanderROR
I realy don't have V8 yet (( But my familiar has one.

He plans to sell it in Russia and with the help of Jinke and enthusiasts from Russia and abroad now is making localisation of the device for our market. Now many troubles are gone, some changes (hardware & software) done, so the process is on it's way to the good end. ))

The Chinese from Jinke offered me to order a sample of V8 for $250 (f.o.b. Tianjin)

There is a review in russian at http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/content.php?article.96

Discussion in russian here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5124

Some photos here:
http://www.lbook.com.ua/foto/jinke08.jpg (first book read at Jinke V8)
http://www.lbook.com.ua/foto/jinke13.gif (the screen after removing of 2 coated films)
http://www.the-ebook.org/files/jinke/jinke2.jpg (what comes in package of V8)

I can only try to gather all present info about V8 and translate into english, or something like this...

Last edited by TaKir; 03-28-2006 at 04:58 AM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:33 AM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

that would already help a lot...there seems to be quite some hands-on experience in russia...but I can't even read the letters...and if I could I still would not understand a word...^^

I'd buy a V8 from china, but i think the shipping and import costs would be too high. The fact that it has no german language support would be of no great concern to me because I read 99% english books anyway...but I think I'll get the Iliad or V2 when they appear.
This would probably be a better and more sensible arrangement.

But please feel free to post all the translated information you can...we (or at least I) are absolutely happy every time we find a new scrap of information about one of these devices...
Old 03-29-2006, 04:50 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
But please feel free to post all the translated information you can...we (or at least I) are absolutely happy every time we find a new scrap of information about one of these devices...
I second that
Old 03-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #14
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

hi once again.

I just called iRex to finally clear up the issue of page-turns/hours battery life...something that has been worrying me for some time now.
Unfortunately the lady at the phone couldn't answer me..but she told me I should send an email and wrote my name down so she could "prioritize" it's handling. they apparently have a lot of emails lying around...*Big_Surprise*
I hope i'll receive some kind of answer soon...but i'm not optimistic...

if somebody here has a good connection to iRex maybe you could ask the same question...or am I the only one who is wondering how 21hours is supposed to be the same as 10000+ Pageturns?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

I imagine a huge part of the battery life issue is the number of non-page-turning features the Iliad has. If you use the wi-fi much or the pen it would drain the battery so they can't really give a strict page-turning count.

However, Irex has said that it should last more than a week if you use it for 3 hours every day, so that's something like a 24-hour battery life if you are using the device continuously. Given that, I think it should last at least 2-3 days with heavy use on just one charge; so battery life shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Personally the thing I worry most about is the refresh rate...but I think the device should be useable enough for me--I plan on putting the math and physics texts I need for class on it, and so I shouldn't need to turn the pages too quickly. For people that read very fast however, this would certainly be a major issue.
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote