Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
Libron
Libron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5, Kobo Glo HD
Unhappy I can't send books on my Kobo Glo HD via WiFi

I tried to use both methods for WiFi transfer available in Calibre, but both failed and the problem seems to be on my reader side, so I decided to ask for help here, instead of Calibre forum. Here's what I tried:

1. Calibre content storage: I've created the content storage from Calibre, tested it on my PC through Firefox and it worked like a charm. But when I use my Kobo browser and give the exact same IP address it doesn't load at all. I tried adding "http://" prefix or "/" suffix, but it still doesn't work. Sometimes loading icon appears, but after a lengthy loading time the page doesn't appear at all.

2. KOReader direct connection: I've succesfully installed KSM8 + KOReader on my Kobo. They work ok, I click "Start wireless drive connection" in Calibre, it turns green as it should. Then, I successfully turn WiFi on in KOReader mode, but when I click "Calibre wireless connection" -> "Connect" it informs me (after lengthy loading) that it failed to connect to Calibre. I tried shutting down my firewall and even using Calibre connection without a password, but it didn't help.

WiFi on my Kobo is configured properly, cause I can access other websites, so something else must be causing these issues.

I'd really appreciate some help, cause loading everything via USB is tedious and shortens the battery life, as it automatically recharges it every single time, which is not good for it's lifespan.
Libron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libron View Post
1. Calibre content storage: I've created the content storage from Calibre, tested it on my PC through Firefox and it worked like a charm. But when I use my Kobo browser and give the exact same IP address it doesn't load at all. I tried adding "http://" prefix or "/" suffix, but it still doesn't work. Sometimes loading icon appears, but after a lengthy loading time the page doesn't appear at all.
- Are you able to go to other webpages without any trouble?
- Are you putting the port - ":8080" (without quotemarks) - at the end of the URL?

Quote:
I'd really appreciate some help, cause loading everything via USB is tedious and shortens the battery life, as it automatically recharges it every single time, which is not good for it's lifespan.
I'm not sure that this is true with modern batteries. It certainly doesn't seem to have caused any harm with my Kobos - all including my original Touch are still in service.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Libron

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
- Are you able to go to other webpages without any trouble?
- Are you putting the port - ":8080" (without quotemarks) - at the end of the URL?
1. Yes. There are some problems when clicking on certain links on the pages itself and random flashes, but websites load without problems.

2. Yes. I use the exact same url on my Kobo, that I tested on my PC (Firefox), which accessed Calibre content server without problems.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
How does KOReader's OPDS "Local caliber catalog" work with calibre's "Content server" on?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You are mistaken; Frequent "topping up" has no impact whatsoever on the lifespan of a lithium battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Libron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
How does KOReader's OPDS "Local caliber catalog" work with calibre's "Content server" on?

Luck;
Ken
I've just tried that and he says "Cannot get catalog info from http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:8080/opds" with x being my IP number. Even though the same address works on my PC. I even temporarily disabled firewall on my router side, but it didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are mistaken; Frequent "topping up" has no impact whatsoever on the lifespan of a lithium battery.
Thanks for the info. Still, WiFi transmission would come handy.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you connected with/through your router from your Glo? If you look at the settings in Nickel (the Kobo UI) for networks, is your router listed? This should be the same router as you are running the caliber Content server on.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
Libron

Yes, it's the same one.

I noticed that IP of my Kobo is xxx.xxx.x.12 while my Calibre content server xxx.xxx.x.11:8080. Don't know if that matters, though, as trying the url with 12 instead of 11 didn't help either.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, it's the same one.

I noticed that IP of my Kobo is xxx.xxx.x.12 while my Calibre content server xxx.xxx.x.11:8080. Don't know if that matters, though, as trying the url with 12 instead of 11 didn't help either.
Your Kobo settings should show you the "known" networks that it will automatically connect to. The Kobo IP address is not involved. If you long press on the "Local caliber catalog" option in KOReader you should get a pop-up message box to "Edit" the calibre host and port. You should check that it matches what calibre is showing for the content server.

With the WiFi turned on, try some of the other OPDS catalogs like Feedbooks or Project Gutenberg.

It is sounding more like your Glo is not connecting to your router/wifi access point and the internet.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Double check your router; at times there are options that are designed to prevent access from wireless devices to wired devices. (Might be called Wireless Isolation).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #11
Libron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Your Kobo settings should show you the "known" networks that it will automatically connect to. The Kobo IP address is not involved. If you long press on the "Local caliber catalog" option in KOReader you should get a pop-up message box to "Edit" the calibre host and port. You should check that it matches what calibre is showing for the content server.

With the WiFi turned on, try some of the other OPDS catalogs like Feedbooks or Project Gutenberg.

It is sounding more like your Glo is not connecting to your router/wifi access point and the internet.

Luck;
Ken
Nope, I can connect to internet. I can access other OPDS catalogs from KOReader, just not Calibre's. Also, I can download my content from Dropbox via Nickel browser, but I'd like something quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Double check your router; at times there are options that are designed to prevent access from wireless devices to wired devices. (Might be called Wireless Isolation).
I tried temporarily disabling router firewall and it didn't help. But it seems there really is something with rooter blocking local access and allowing internet access for my Kobo. Weird. I didn't find any other safety options that could be responsible for this on my router.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I tried temporarily disabling router firewall and it didn't help. But it seems there really is something with rooter blocking local access and allowing internet access for my Kobo. Weird. I didn't find any other safety options that could be responsible for this on my router.
Can you access the calibre server from another PC or device on your network? I can't tell from your posts whether you have tried this or not. If you haven't, it might be a firewall issue on the machine running calibre.

And to check if the WiFi devices are isolated, try pinging the Kobo from the server.

And exactly what is the URL you are using? From your earlier posts, I'm not sure what you are using. Don't worry about hiding the ip address. This will be on a private network and nobody else will be able to access it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you can share the make / model of your router, and what firmware it is using, I'm sure we can track down a manual and see if there are any features at play here.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

With a normal setup, if you can access the online OPDS catalogs, you should be able to access the local calibre catalog. Trying to guess what you might have that is not the normal setup, could take forever. I would suspect something with the PC that you are running calibre on, with its security features or networking that is out of the ordinary.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #15
Libron

I've just tried to access Calibre content server from my 2nd PC and I couldn't. Since I had my PC firewall temporarily shut down, it must be something with router, that's blocking the access. Even though I also unchecked firewall on the router side, it still doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If you can share the make / model of your router, and what firmware it is using, I'm sure we can track down a manual and see if there are any features at play here.
I'd really appreciate it! My router is TC7200-U (Technicolor). My firmware is STD6.02.11.