Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #31
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
My Kindle4PC stopped working too. It's annoying that there was no indication what the problem was. I remember reading here that Amazon posted on their forum that the warning about it expiring was a mistake and it wasn't really going to happen.

I normally open the program to upgrade. I guess I have to completely uninstall it and reinstall which is kind of annoying. I hope there are some real improvements to make it worth the trouble.

I guess I will have to also have to find updated tools also. I rarely ever use them on my Kindle books because most of the books I bought were freebies and I have so many, it would take a lot of time and space to convert them... but I like to have the tools available just in case.

Speaking of books... I bought a few free books on Amazon today and when I click to see the purchase receipt, they are all listed on one page as "pending". I've never seen this before. I also did not receive the purchase confirmation emails like I normally do.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be because I chose "send to PC" and have not updated the software? It's very strange.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
I normally open the program to upgrade. I guess I have to completely uninstall it and reinstall which is kind of annoying. I hope there are some real improvements to make it worth the trouble.
No need to uninstall. Just download the new version and run the installer and it should all work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #33
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No need to uninstall. Just download the new version and run the installer and it should all work fine.
This is how I do it also. Just install from the downloaded file over the old version. Haven't had any problems yet.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #34
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, that's good to know. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #35
pvs
pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mini
Kindle Pc stopped working this morning, had to download new version 1.10.1. Is everyone getting thumbnail covers in your Library on sideloaded books? Mine are not showing, just getting blank blue covers. Books are fine when you open them. Covers showed on last version of KindlePC.

Last edited by pvs; 07-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.
pvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #36
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
My Kindle4PC expired yesterday, and after installing the new version, I can no longer access one book. It tells me that download failed because the item is not compatible with this device. This is the same book I had trouble with during one of the last updates. It is frankly, !#$% annoying.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #37
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Speaking of books... I bought a few free books on Amazon today and when I click to see the purchase receipt, they are all listed on one page as "pending". I've never seen this before. I also did not receive the purchase confirmation emails like I normally do.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be because I chose "send to PC" and have not updated the software? It's very strange.
Yes, it happened to me for the first time yesterday. Instead of receiving a separate receipt for each ebook purchase immediately, I was sent one email for all purchases later in the day. Amazon has been doing that with MP3 purchases for a while, and it looks like they must be doing that with ebooks now too.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #38
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Yes, it happened to me for the first time yesterday. Instead of receiving a separate receipt for each ebook purchase immediately, I was sent one email for all purchases later in the day. Amazon has been doing that with MP3 purchases for a while, and it looks like they must be doing that with ebooks now too.
I ended up receiving one receipt yesterday also, with all the day's ebook purchases listed. Today they went back to being separate. I would actually prefer to receive one receipt per day to cut down on electronic clutter.

ETA: I am still really curious why Amazon did this. (Made the K4PC program expire, that is.) I am sure there are plenty of people who don't open the Kindle4PC program very often who never saw the warning. They will probably be frustrated when they try to open it and nothing happens, and will eventually have to search for what the problem is etc.

Last edited by blue_skies; 07-24-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #39
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
I would actually prefer to receive one receipt per day to cut down on electronic clutter.
Me too.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-24-2014 at 02:27 AM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #40
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy

I found my Kindle for PC not working as well. didn't know why until I found this discussion. I did not receive any notification from Amazon and very unhappy about this.

All my e-books seem to be available though, including some I obtained from non-Amazon sources.

It would be helpful if Amazon could be bothered to let people know when they make changes which affect everyone with Kindle for pc.

I've also got Kindle on my phone, will the same thing happen if they update that as well? Just not acceptable.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I ended up receiving one receipt yesterday also, with all the day's ebook purchases listed. Today they went back to being separate. I would actually prefer to receive one receipt per day to cut down on electronic clutter.

ETA: I am still really curious why Amazon did this. (Made the K4PC program expire, that is.) I am sure there are plenty of people who don't open the Kindle4PC program very often who never saw the warning. They will probably be frustrated when they try to open it and nothing happens, and will eventually have to search for what the problem is etc.
My guess is that they might be gearing up to crack down on certain tools and their compatibility. It is common knowledge among those of us who use the tools that certain older versions of some tools were usable with certain versions of Kindle4PC. By eliminating the older versions of Kindle4PC they could screw up the use of those tools, until newer tools were released. I don't know whether Amazon is doing this for that reason, but it is one possibility.

EDIT: Of course another possibility might be that they don't want to supply CS for older versions of Kindle4PC. If they render the older versions nonfunctional, then they don't have to deal with them ever again. I doubt they can disable the really old versions though, only those versions from this point forward.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #42
pvs
pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mini
Should have checked over at Calibre's 'frequently asked questions' for my problem with book covers showing up in new version of Kindle for PC.

(Question) The covers for my MOBI files have stopped showing up in Kindle for PC/Kindle for Android/etc.

(Answer) This is caused by a bug in the Amazon software. You can work around it by going to Preferences->Output Options->MOBI output and setting the “Enable sharing of book content” option. If you are reconverting a previously converted book, you will also have to enable the option in the conversion dialog for that individual book (as per book conversion settings are saved and take precedence).

Note that doing this will mean that the generated MOBI will show up under personal documents instead of Books on the Kindle Fire and Amazon whispersync will not work, but the covers will. It’s your choice which functionality is more important to you. I encourage you to contact Amazon and ask them to fix this bug.
pvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If you go to the Amazon Kindle forum there are threads on this. It seems someone on the Kindle team made a mistake and forgot to remove the expiration message when it was taken out of beta. They don't know how many versions were effected but it should be fixed now in the new versions.

When I contacted Kindle supported last month. No one knew anything about it. Then I was told it was an "oops" on their part and they were working on a fix. I was using 1.9.3 when it happened. I upgraded to last version before this one and the problem went away.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was using v1.4.1 when it stopped working.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I was using v1.4.1 when it stopped working.
I think this means that oops has been there a long time then.

That's really sad though there are some who older PCs can't run the newer versions. I'll have to check K4PC on my netbook and see if it still works.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote