Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
External Controllers?

I have an Ipega controller. I think it's designed for people who want to use physical buttons to play games on tablets and mobile phones. I think it could work for those of us who need use physical buttons and avoid touchscreens on tablets, not sure if it would work on e-readers. It requires bluetooth.

Has anyone here used external controllers? What are the ergonomics like? How can people find compatible e-readers?

Thanks.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe some members have used external controls (foot pedals) to trigger page turns of musical scores.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. But that would only involve an auxiliary controller for a couple functions. I'd need the external controller for everything, because I have coordination problems and I can't avoid triggering touchscreen gestures, which in turn trigger my migraines...
Old 03-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would suggest you try a iPad or Android device and a remote control. There are several at Amazon you can use. Basically these are a subset of the keys available on a Bluetooth keyboards.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

I tried a iPad some time ago, before getting the controller. The screen was painfully bright, and kept flashing and zoming. I use a Mac, so I didn't expect much o.s. trouble, but the operating system didn't let me transfer folders from the computer to read on the iPad.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:54 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I tried a iPad some time ago, before getting the controller. The screen was painfully bright, and kept flashing and zoming. I use a Mac, so I didn't expect much o.s. trouble, but the operating system didn't let me transfer folders from the computer to read on the iPad.
Well, try android. There are even some E Ink screen devices that support Android but you would also need bluetooth. Although the iPad is easy to transfer files using iTunes or a cloud app like Dropbox. The screen can be turned down using the settings.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru

I tried the iPad. I have sensory issues as well as the coordination issues. The screen could be turned down, but not turned low enough to look at. I also had to return a Toshiba laptop with the same design flaw, a few years ago.

I can't handle bright lights or strobe lights, so I think I need to avoid pulse-width modulation.

Last edited by MarjaE; 03-20-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru

I can't seem to find an affordable accessible large-screen e-reader. I can find some tablets. An 8" Nuvision tablet is avaiable locally. Has anyone used it? Does anyone know if the screens can be dimmed enough to look at? if pinch-to-induce-migraine can be disabled?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
MarjaE
Guru

So far (a) I can't start using the controller (b) I can't control everything using the control (c) I can't disable animation using the supposed development-tool fix (d) I can't start using "night mode" to solve the screen brightness issues.

Tags
accessibility, hardware problems