Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are running Python 3.x, you'll need to uninstal it and install Python 2.6.x instead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #47
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I'm not sure you are using the command correctly. Without saying anything about ereadter2html.py (version 0.03) in particular, in general issuing a python command with no arguments typically brings up a "usage" message with a summary of its arguments. Make sure you have the order of the arguments correct, e.g. file directory name number. Some of these may need to be in quotes, and quotes don't typically hurt. Names tend to have spaces in them, and so definitely need to be in quotes.

A common problem is too many arguments because of a lack of quotes. My argecho.py is a simple way to debug this problem. The post also shows how to enter arguments, and if you can run this command you have Python installed (make sure it is Python 2.6 not 3.).

Since you mentioned er.exe, note that there is another command called ereader2html.pl (Perl script) that might also be available as a Windows binary (ereader2html.exe). So it is possible that you have the wrong script entirely. The usage message is a simple test for this, if it has 4 arguments it isn't the Perl script.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #48
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
He's using the self-executing program based on ereader2html.py which is available out there. It works the same way minus the command line.
However, I don't see anything wrong with what he keyed in that would make the script run for hours.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #49
Eliab
Eliab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ebook
That is correct Anggun I am using a program I downloaded from esnip. What I meant yesterday was that at the time I wrote on the forum, I had been on the hunting trail (trying to covert the file and comming up with empty folders for 8 hours) and if that is not patience and I don't know what is.

The thing is the script is not running at all just creating an empty folder.

Should I try downloading python 2.6 and see if I can manage.

I have never struggled so much in my life as I am now.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
E
Eliab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #50
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Sorry, yet another Python noob - I have read and re-read this thread. How many ways are there of trying to establish valid syntax?

I am in the Python interactive shell and input as follows:

python c:/Python26/Tools/scripts/ereader2html.py

I can't think of any other way of writing this so as to avoid getting Syntax error invalid syntax (and this doesn't include any errors I get when I then try to point it at the book I want to convert). Reading back through I tried to follow the link to the Wiki page for the kindle (although I want to convert a secure ereader file) but this has been removed.

You guys must get tired of going through the same stuff time and again, so thank you for any help you can give.

Rachel
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #51
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I am in the Python interactive shell and input as follows:

python c:/Python26/Tools/scripts/ereader2html.py

I can't think of any other way of writing this so as to avoid getting Syntax error invalid syntax (and this doesn't include any errors I get when I then try to point it at the book I want to convert).
You do not need the Python interactive shell. Just put the ereader2html.py script in the same directory(folder) as the books that you want to convert. Open a command shell in the directory and type ereader2html.py .
If you have Python installed correctly, then the script itself will give you an exact example of how to type the command to do the conversion. Here is an example output of doing what I just described:
Quote:

C:\eReader_Scripts>ereader2html.py
C:\eReader_Scripts\eReader2html.py:8: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is depr
ecated; use the hashlib module instead
import struct, binascii, zlib, os, sha, sys, os.path
eReader2Html v0.03. Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser
Converts eReader books to HTML
Usage:
ereader2html infile.pdb outdir "your name" credit_card_number
Note:
It's enough to enter the last 8 digits of the credit card number
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #52
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks Dave - Unfortunately, my knowledge of command lines etc is zilch, and I don't really know how to open a command shell in the directory. I am guessing from what I have read that at the command prompt I have to point it to the directory and path where my script and book are. I have tried a number of things using cd C:\ .... but it tells me that cd is not defined. Can you help me some more please?

Thank you.

Rachel
Old 05-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #53
Peake
Peake began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Rachel,

I am doing this under Vista, so if you are using the same, perhaps the steps I used to get this working may be helpful to you.

1. Install python windows as outlined in the Visual Kindle Guide. I don't have a Kindle -- one of these days I will actually decide which reader to get, LOL -- but the procedure was outlined so nicely, even I could follow it
2. Create a working directory.
3. Copy ereader2html.py to working directory.
4. Copy ereader pdb file to working directory.
5. Open file explorer and browse to working directory. Right click an item in the list on the left and select "Properties". Highlight the directory information after "Location:". Right click and select copy.
6. Open command prompt.
7. type: "cd " (no quotes needed) and right click to paste the directory information you just copied, and hit enter. Now your command prompt is pointing to your working directory.
8. From the command prompt, enter the command as documented:

ereader2html.py infile.pdb outdir "your name" credit_card_number

I usually just paste the same directory information for the outdir argument, adding to the end another level to the directory (usually \bookname) so the resulting files will be in that directory.

There's probably more clever ways to do this, but it works for me.

Regards,
Peake
Peake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks Dave - Unfortunately, my knowledge of command lines etc is zilch, and I don't really know how to open a command shell in the directory. I am guessing from what I have read that at the command prompt I have to point it to the directory and path where my script and book are. I have tried a number of things using cd C:\ .... but it tells me that cd is not defined. Can you help me some more please?

Thank you.

Rachel
there is a tutorial on the wiki. You might take a look and if it is not adequate it can be fixed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #55
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thank you.

Rachel
I see that two others have already answered your question. I could not reply until now because my ISP had a VERY long service outage, and I could not get on line.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #56
Rachel
Zealot

Hi Guys

Your help has been invaluable in getting me to the usage message - but after that I just seem to go round in circles and keep coming back to the usage message. I am following that carefully - I have even been back to FWise and gone through the process for obtaining an unlock code and downloaded the book again. I checked out the format for my name, I've tried single as well as double quote marks - I'm at a loss again to know what else to try. It seems I am so near, and yet so far.

Once again, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Rachel
Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #57
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Hi Guys

Your help has been invaluable in getting me to the usage message - but after that I just seem to go round in circles and keep coming back to the usage message. I am following that carefully - I have even been back to FWise and gone through the process for obtaining an unlock code and downloaded the book again. I checked out the format for my name, I've tried single as well as double quote marks - I'm at a loss again to know what else to try. It seems I am so near, and yet so far.
The good news is that if you are getting the usage message, then you do have Python and the script installed and working correctly. It might help someone to help you if you would copy the error message that you are getting in the command window, and past it into a message in this thread. You can modify the actual number that you are using for your credit card number by replacing the digits with X or something, so that you do not end up posting your actual credit card number.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #58
Rachel
Zealot

I'm not actually getting an error message, I'm just returned to the usage message, with nothing having happened (ie no output).

Here is my input, and as you can see it is followed by the usage message again (and again, and again ----- each time I try).

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Library\script>ereader2html.py C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Library\script\Firefly_60646 C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Library\script "RJ Thomas" xxxxxxxx

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Library\script\eReader2html.py:8
: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead import struct, binascii, zlib, os, sha, sys, os.path
eReader2Html v0.03. Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser
Converts eReader books to HTML
Usage: ereader2html infile.pdb outdir "your name" credit_card_number
Note: It's enough to enter the last 8 digits of the credit card number

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Library\script>

Any clues?

Rachel
Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #59
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Since you are in the script directory, there is no need to use the full filename including its directory:
Code:
ereader2html.py Firefly_60646.pdb Firefly_60646 "RJ Thomas" xxxxxxxx
I think you are missing the ".pdb" on the first argument and also it is a good idea to create a new subdirectory for each ebook (the 2nd argument, which does not have to exist yet).

EDIT: I suggest making use of "tab completion". Type a few letters of the filename (e.g. Fir) and then the tab key. The filename will be added by the command interpreter. I then do the same thing again for the directory (e.g. Fir) and delete the ".pdb" before adding the last two arguments (with a paste from the clipboard).

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-31-2009 at 12:10 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #60
Rachel
Zealot

Success!!!!!!

Thank you all - DaveS, Peake, DaleDe and Wallcraft- for your patience and clear explanations, I am so pleased to be able to do this at last.

Rachel