Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Are e-books the future?

Do you think e-books are the future or will traditional book reading remain to be the name of the game, is the question asked in an interesting forum discussion started over at PalmAddicts.

I believe that p-books and e-books will always co-exist. There is no reason to abandon p-books, unless we run out of trees. Both have their intrinsic advantages and disadvantages and it always depends on the situation whether you prefer one over the other.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:42 AM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
There's just something about paper books that makes them fun to read, more so than ebooks, in my mind. The physical sensation of the paper, and turning the pages, maybe.

Ebooks have their place, but paper books do too. I think ebooks are great for textbooks, references, and that kind of thing, but I greatly prefer paper for novels, comics, and anything more fictional.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Audiobooks

As far as fiction is concerned, I think audiobooks may very well become bigger than e-books. (Maybe they already are.) I don't have any real arguments to back this up, it's just a hunch.

I was skeptical of audiobooks at first, but after reading about them in a NYT article and listening to a few books over the past few weeks, I must say I've completely turned around. As long as the book is narrated well, I find myself much more able to focus on and enjoy the story itself.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Let's not forget that paper books don't always require more trees, and with the way technology is going (serial e-paper already exists, and looks/acts/feels just like a two-fold piece of newspaper), we probably won't have to keep cutting trees to produce books.

It'll be the best of both worlds, actually... faux paper that is displaying an electronic book on what looks, feels, turns and acts just like real paper.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Remember also that most trees cut down to make paper today were grown for that purpose.

Audio books make sense - you really shouldn't be reading anything if you're driving the car during the morning commute, and reading while you're jogging is tough at best. Unfortunately, radio drama is a dead art form in this country, radio is homogenous crap, and music is too easy to tune out. That's why I think audiobooks are as popular as they are - all the benefits of "reading" but turns it into a passive activity.

I think e-books will eventually serve a few specific niches: periodicals which are expected to have a short life and paperbacks. To put it less delicately, 'disposable' reading you aren't expecting to keep.

For things you really want to keep, a well-made hardcover will last a heck of a lot longer than the e-book format du jour.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
Antoine of MMM
Mobile Ministry Magazine
Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nokia N75/N800 Internet Tablet
They will probably co-exist for a while. If digi tech gets as cheap and viewable as paper, then, there is a chance for a shift. But what I hear most, and will probably hear forever, is that emotional attachment people have to paper. Its a 3000+ year old technology, it wont go away that easily.
Antoine of MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Talking I wouldn't read if it weren't for e-books

I love reading books on my PDA. I don't miss paper books at all. In fact I dare say that I probably wouldn't read nearly as much as I do if it weren't for ebooks. I don't have the time to curl up in a big easy chair and just read the afternoon away. I usually read while I'm waiting for something ie: Dr.s Office, between classes, restaurants, etc... I love always having in excess of 20 novels in my purse! There's no way that I could carry that many paper books around and not grow to hate them.

Not to mention that most of my college text books are available online and with plucker - I can now read them on my PDA as well - This is MUCH easier than lugging around a 20lb Chemistry Text. My grades have improved because I actually read the text more.

I don't know if ebooks are truly the future... But I sincerely hope that they are! I would hate to see this medium disappear.