Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
ghchinoy
ghchinoy began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1 & 2, iPod Touch
Pragmatic Programmers announce Epub & Mobi support

The Pragmatic Programmers, publishers of exceptional software programming topics, have just added ePub and mobi formats as options for their books (they've already had PDF as an option for pre-release as well as released books).

http://media.pragprog.com/newsletters/2009-03-25.html

http://www.pragprog.com/frequently-a...estions/ebooks

I've purchased books from them in the past, including "pre-release" books that they deliver as PDFs and have used Mobigen/mobicreator to convert the PDFs to prc's with limited success. The PDFs have complex formatting, as they're pretty much publication-ready proofs, so footnotes and images were all over the place, as was kerning and other layout goodness.

Downloading a few, their conversion is decent with footnotes and references linked, pictures sized appropriately. The table of contents isn't referenced correctly so the Kindle menu can't find it, but contents work to jump between chapters.

In all, a wonderful addition to our ebook life.

I also downloaded the ePub versions and they looked good in calibre's reader.

Welcome Dave & Andy and Pragprog!

H
ghchinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
These are DRM-free and "multi-format" (you get all three PDF, MOBI and ePub for one price). This is following O'Reilly's lead, but it is very welcome news.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
This might be useful, as I need to start learning some programming.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Excellent. I have to re-download my books in Mobi and try them on my Kindle. I have three of them, the Textmate book and two Ruby on Rails books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Based on your experience, it sounds like the Mobipocket files are generated using ePub as a source (you can skip between contents thanks to the NCX, but no inline-TOC referenced).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm glad to see this; wider acceptance is a good thing, and DRM free is obviously a huge boon.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Cool!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Has anyone purchased one? I'm looking to get one in epub, and I wanted to know how it would look compared to the pdf.
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

It sort of makes sense if they are going to offer ebook versions of programming references they are DRM free. I mean these books are targeted at the very people who already know how to remove the DRM and if not they will actually enjoy learning how.

Great to see these publishers sort of are thinking past more then the current quarterly reports.

One thing though, if you are a developer you already know that color or at least a 16-gray scale display is needed since many of our references use color to demark important portions of the text. Actually this can be said for almost all technical references or textbooks.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote