Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Kindle PW2 Software Update 5.6.1: Does old JB method work?

Old jb-method works?..
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196245
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
That method is to retain the JB, and so far I don't think anyone has confirmed whether the JB survives the update.

It should survive, unless Amazon has decided to start wiping the fixme script?

(/var/local/system/fixup)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That method is to retain the JB, and so far I don't think anyone has confirmed whether the JB survives the update.

It should survive, unless Amazon has decided to start wiping the fixme script?

(/var/local/system/fixup)
I'm not turning on wifi until I know it's safe.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I'm not turning on wifi until I know it's safe.
But you are blocking the updates, aren't you?
Old 11-16-2014, 02:50 AM   #5
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Imho, this method allows to manually install an firmware 5.6.1 to PW2 (only) with ALREADY integrated jailbreak:
Code:
ROOT/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem
ROOT/MNTUS_EXEC
Automatic JB recovery will not be (may be); but before update on >=5.6.2 jailbreak will work.
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
Imho, this method allows to manually install an firmware 5.6.1 to PW2 (only) with ALREADY integrated jailbreak:
Code:
ROOT/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem
ROOT/MNTUS_EXEC
Automatic JB recovery will not be (may be); but before update on >=5.6.2 jailbreak will work.
Yes, I get the idea.

It is only a way to preserve a jailbreak, and may be unnecessary.

Maybe someone with a PW2 and familiar with a serial port can test it.

I think people will want to avoid the update anyway, at least until things have settled down. Like, A LOT. War isn't fun.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
kaznelson
Old Kaz

eschwartz
It's useful for those, who else has an firmware 5.4.*...
Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eschwartz/@kaznelzon:

The bridge does the job, at the very least for the JB itself, so, for now, no need to resort to that .

What we haven't confirmed, since the only feedback we've had was from someone with an outdated bridge, is whether MKK survives the trip .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But you are blocking the updates, aren't you?
As tightly buttoned up as I can get it with the help of all of you.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@eschwartz/@kaznelzon:

The bridge does the job, at the very least for the JB itself, so, for now, no need to resort to that .

What we haven't confirmed, since the only feedback we've had was from someone with an outdated bridge, is whether MKK survives the trip .
Thought so.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Thought so.
So, can I help in any way?
Old 11-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
So, can I help in any way?
If you like, you can try updating to 5.6.1 with an up-to-date JB, and see if the MKK carries through.

Would you like to be our guinea pig?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
If you like, you can try updating to 5.6.1 with an up-to-date JB, and see if the MKK carries through.

Sure...

My wife's PW2 is on 5.4.3 -- it is at this point not JB'n as she doesn't want / care about the hacks. So, if I JB it and add hacks and then update and lose the hacks permanently it will be no loss. If I can convince her to let me play with it, what would you like to know and in what order?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:

Sure. I'll take one for the team, if you're serious.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:

I just did the JB on Saturday morning, and as I understand it the JB 12 is the most current and includes MKK. How would I then test MKK?

ETA - downloading and installing the update now.
ETA2 - after applying the update and it rebooted, I saw ***MKK JB*** and then it rebooted again.
ETA3 - I am in and have verified 5.6.1., backdoorlock and "folder" still in place.

Last edited by pghaworth; 11-16-2014 at 03:21 PM.