Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
rabbitmail
rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: nook
Calibre can't find my Nook HD Tablet.

I have Calibre installed on my MackBook Pro and have used it to manage books on several Kindles and Nooks with no problems. I have a new (six months old) Nook HD Tablet that I have yet to get hook up to Calibre. Calibre can’t see it, although the Nook shows up on the Finder.

I have rebooted both the Mac and the Nook several times…no luck. I have down loaded Calibre (1.6) to a new file to get a clean copy installed…no luck. And I have just “Erased & Deregistered Device” and re-registered the Nook…still no luck.

I have look through the “forms” here but cannot find a definitive answer. (I’m new to the “Mobile read form” though).

Any help?
rabbitmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd

In particular the note in the gray box.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I just got a new HD and had the same problem with my Mac running OS 10.6.8.

However, after some time spent figuring it out (and help from the MR Calibre forum), I am now happily using Calibre Companion on the HD; sideloading books wirelessly is so much faster than with a USB connection.

One thing to note; you have to change a setting on the HD to use CC. Under Settings, Storage Management, USB Connectivity, choose Camera (PTP) when you want to sideload wirelessly via CC. Switch back to Media Device (MTP) when you want to use USB to "see" your HD on the Mac desktop and drag over pictures, movies, etc.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitmail View Post
I have Calibre installed on my MackBook Pro and have used it to manage books on several Kindles and Nooks with no problems. I have a new (six months old) Nook HD Tablet that I have yet to get hook up to Calibre. Calibre can’t see it, although the Nook shows up on the Finder.

I have rebooted both the Mac and the Nook several times…no luck. I have down loaded Calibre (1.6) to a new file to get a clean copy installed…no luck. And I have just “Erased & Deregistered Device” and re-registered the Nook…still no luck.

I have look through the “forms” here but cannot find a definitive answer. (I’m new to the “Mobile read form” though).

Any help?
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
However, after some time spent figuring it out (and help from the MR Calibre forum), I am now happily using Calibre Companion on the HD; sideloading books wirelessly is so much faster than with a USB connection.
I agree CC is a great app.

Quote:
One thing to note; you have to change a setting on the HD to use CC. Under Settings, Storage Management, USB Connectivity, choose Camera (PTP) when you want to sideload wirelessly via CC.
Why? How does changing this USB setting affect wireless transfers?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure why it works, but I learned the tip from the B&N forums when I couldn't get CC to "see" my HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I agree CC is a great app.

Why? How does changing this USB setting affect wireless transfers?
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:

One thing to note; you have to change a setting on the HD to use CC. Under Settings, Storage Management, USB Connectivity, choose Camera (PTP) when you want to sideload wirelessly via CC. Switch back to Media Device (MTP) when you want to use USB to "see" your HD on the Mac desktop and drag over pictures, movies, etc.

Hope this helps!
On Windows XP at least, you do not have to switch the settings. I keep my Nook HD on the MTP setting permanently, and CC connects wirelessly with Calibre just fine. There is also no problem browsing through the Nook's files and folders from Windows XP via USB cable.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe

Maybe it's just a Mac thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
On Windows XP at least, you do not have to switch the settings. I keep my Nook HD on the MTP setting permanently, and CC connects wirelessly with Calibre just fine. There is also no problem browsing through the Nook's files and folders from Windows XP via USB cable.

--Pat
Old 11-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
rabbitmail
rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.rabbitmail is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: nook
Thanks for the help.

I installed the CC and it works. I like the wireless option.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. I was out of the country and I needed to do the download at home.

I have not had time to explore all the functions of CC yet but I notice it did not pick up the SD card in my Nook, when I loaded the other book on the main memory. Did I miss something?

I also did not have to choose Camera (PTP) when I wanted to sideload wirelessly via CC. I have a Nook HD Tablet, just to be clear, in case that makes a different.

Thanks for all the help!
rabbitmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitmail View Post
I have not had time to explore all the functions of CC yet but I notice it did not pick up the SD card in my Nook, when I loaded the other book on the main memory. Did I miss something?
You won't see any option for the SD card. In CC settings you choose where various book formats go and when you send books they will automatically go where you setup in CC. For specific instruction check out the FAQ thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook