Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #121
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Any chance this sticky will be pared to mini reviews and recommendations with a separate linked but not sticky discussion thread?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #122
jswinden
Nameless Being

Coolreader can be viewed in two-page landscape mode. It reads ePubs and is a decent reader app with loads of formatting options. I know some will not care for two-page landscape mode, but some of us like it. It also does portrait and one-page landscape. See attached image.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolreader.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	79293  
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #123
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Coolreader can be viewed in two-page landscape mode. It reads ePubs and is a decent reader app with loads of formatting options. I know some will not care for two-page landscape mode, but some of us like it. It also does portrait and one-page landscape. See attached image.

I use it on my phone. How does it render on a tablet? It had some rendering issues on my phone which was fixed in one version then broken in the next.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #124
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use it on my phone. How does it render on a tablet? It had some rendering issues on my phone which was fixed in one version then broken in the next.
I copied the apk from my phone. It is version 3.0.51-40. It does a good job with the supplied fonts. It does okay with many sideloaded fonts but it messes up the Amasis we use. The photo shows an included font PMN Caecilia LT with the Embolden option turned on. I think it just updated on my phone a couple days ago so I might actually have a newer version. (I just checked and v. 3.0.52-40 is on my phone so I'll copy it over and check it out.)

EDIT: I installed v. 3.0.52-40 but don't see any differences. I haven't taken the time to see what changes they made to it.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-23-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #125
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:

It looks nice on a tablet. You can download it straight from the source:

http://www.coolreader.org/e-index.htm

FBReader is also pretty nice:

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #126
jswinden
Nameless Being

Cool Reader does have a weird habit of starting new chapters with only a couple lines per page, but after a page or two it correctly displays the pages.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #127
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
That makes no sense, if that was true why is Pandora and Netflix allowed to have apps on it? Maybe the Opera Mini Browser doesn't work very well with it.
I'm just reading this now, several days later, but this is my take -
Amazon discourages you from installing alternative browsers in particular so that you use Silk, the stock browser. Silk supposedly does some rendering in the cloud, which allows Amazon to monitor your browsing, and ultimately market to you based on your browsing habits.

At this point, my experience with Silk reminds me of AOL dial-up circa 1996. It's slow as hell. I installed Opera Mini; it's not full-featured, but it's the fastest Android browser I know of. When I need flash or other features, I use the stock browser.

I've been using that same setup on my Android phones for the last year and a half: Opera Mini for general surfing and the stock browser for anything else. I've never been all that impressed with the Dolphin browser - used it for awhile and found it not much faster than stock Android. I'm sure it's faster than Silk, but Opera Mini has it beat for speed.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #128
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've switched to Opera Mobile from Opera Mini I find I like it much better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #129
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
I've been using that same setup on my Android phones for the last year and a half: Opera Mini for general surfing and the stock browser for anything else. I've never been all that impressed with the Dolphin browser - used it for awhile and found it not much faster than stock Android. I'm sure it's faster than Silk, but Opera Mini has it beat for speed.

Any time you have a full featured browser it will be a little slower than a Lite version like Opera. Dolphin offers a Mini Browser as well. Most browsers including the Stock Browser on the Fire have an option to change the User Agent. For example in the Stock Browser you can change the browser from Desktop to Mobile which will speed up performance. Plus, you still have all the benefits of Flash support etc.

Optimize for Mobile View option is located in Menu --> Settings --> Desktop or Mobile View.

Turning off the acceleration setting in the Stock Browser also helps.

Also, if you check post # 20 in this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157520&page=2) I have links to some other browsers you may want to try. There are many alternative browsers out there including Firefox. Miren is also a nice browser if you are looking for a full featured browser with nice performance that will allow you to toggle full screen with a simple double tap of the screen.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #130
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Its a big improvement IMO
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #131
MarkY
MarkY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
I'm currently using Opera Mini. Why is it that you prefer Opera Mobile? Any differences you can point out?
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #132
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
I'm currently using Opera Mini. Why is it that you prefer Opera Mobile? Any differences you can point out?
I was just going.to.ask this.

@Blossom. Did you uninstall opera mini first?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #133
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY View Post

Opera Mini was designed more for cellphones and Opera Mobile was built specifically for tablets.

In Opera Mini, the browser engine is running on Opera's servers. Web pages are transcoded and compressed up to 90% before being downloaded to the device, making Opera Mini lightning fast and also much cheaper if you are paying per megabyte. Of course, this isn't something you need to worry about with the Fire.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #134
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Opera Mini was designed more for cellphones and Opera Mobile was built specifically for tablets.

In Opera Mini, the browser engine is running on Opera's servers. Web pages are transcoded and compressed up to 90% before being downloaded to the device, making Opera Mini lightning fast and also much cheaper if you are paying per megabyte. Of course, this isn't something you need to worry about with the Fire.
Should we uninstall mini before installing the mobile version

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #135
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Should we uninstall mini before installing the mobile version

Carol

It's not necessary as these are two completely different Apps. In fact, you may want to compare features between the two before deciding which one you want to keep and which one you want to uninstall. However, you will have two different Opera icons.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 02:42 PM.