Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
jamesh446
Manga King
jamesh446 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Questions About Manga On iPad

In a few days i'm getting an iPad i've never had any kind of apple device before and have no experience using apps. I also read a lot of manga scans and I was hoping someone would be able to answer a few questions for me.

1. Can you transfer manga from the pc to the iPad and if so how?

2. Can the iPad read JPG or PNG files and if not can you tell me if there is a program that can convert them to the right format and can you post a link?

I have searched the forum before posting but I couldn't find any answers.

I'm sorry if these questions sound stupid to you but I have never had an iPad before so I don't know much about them.
jamesh446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I use an application called Comiczeal to read my comics.
It can read comics in .cbr and .cbz format (and does not really care if there are PNG or JPG inside).
To transfer the comics I use iTunes.

There is also a free application available called Cloudreader. I tried it and I like Comiczeal better.

iPad was meant to read comics in my opinion
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
jamesh446
Manga King
jamesh446 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
I use an application called Comiczeal to read my comics.
It can read comics in .cbr and .cbz format (and does not really care if there are PNG or JPG inside).
To transfer the comics I use iTunes.

There is also a free application available called Cloudreader. I tried it and I like Comiczeal better.

iPad was meant to read comics in my opinion
Thanks

jamesh446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
stxopher
Nameless Being

Also a ComicZeal user. Nice enough plus you don't have to use iTunes to transfer if you are using Wifi at home. It will transfer whatever you drag onto the program itself (started up from the desktop) and send it to you iPad once converted.

One I'm using more often lately is Comicglass. The main differences between it and ComicZeal are server interfaces and loading for offline reading. Comicglass uses MediaServer which lets you browse files, pix and archives directly off of your PC and streams/loads from there. You can chose any image in the archive itself to act as the cover (it has a clone of iBooks for a display if you want a more graphic look), uses subfolders (locking subfolders if you wish). It also has the option to automatically breaks double page images into single pages.

Honestly, both are cheap enough you can't go wrong with either.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
There are also quite a few Manga apps that scrape the popular Manga scanlation sites. I'm using one that downloads stuff from Mangafox as you read.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
DJ3riple
DJ3riple began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, iPad, iPhone 4
I second the use of Comic Zeal for ipad, it's totally awesome. It works really easy and makes reading manga pleasant.

One cool feature of Comic Zeal that I really like is that it allows you to switch to "Manga mode" where you're able to read from right to left...this isn't the default option because most people that download it are going to be getting american comics.

Have fun with your new ipad
DJ3riple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Okkoto86
Okkoto86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & iPad
Comic zeal does look like a great app, but I didn't feel like spending $8 on it since I don't read comics all that often, so I gave a free app called Bookman a try. It reads PDF, cbz, and cbr files and works quite well. It supports "manga" mode and dual page mode if you rotate the iPad to landscape. Iv been using it for magazine PDFs and the occasional graphic novel and haven't felt the need to upgrade to a paid app.
Okkoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
iComic works great. I've been using it in iPhone for many months.

View in itunes
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
gigades
gigades began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I'm using Manga Storm to read manga from websites. It's easy and cool.
gigades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I use Bookman. I just download from iTunes App section and point it in the direction on my Mac. You can also load via email or via iCab. One of my favorite sites is the Digital Comic Museum where you can download Public Domain comics for free right on to the iPad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bookman.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	69523  

Last edited by pagansoul; 04-05-2011 at 08:03 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I like Bookman as well, although I generally use the FTP functionality to load it. I find it more convenient to be able to make the folders (collections) from the FTP client. I'll have to check out the digital museum.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I use Bookman. I just download from iTunes App section and point it in the direction on my Mac. You can also load via email or via iCab. One of my favorite sites is the Digital Comic Museum where you can download Public Domain comics for free right on to the iPad.
I've used Bookman as well. Thanks for mentioning Digital Comic Museum. I'll check that one out.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote