Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
sole
sole began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch Stuck at diags

I do need help.
Sorry for my poor English
Here is what i've done and happened to my kindle touch.
I upgraded my kindle from 5.03 to 5.1, but it bricked.
so i downgraded it back to 5.0,and made it to 5.1 successfully.Since I'm a Chinese ,I tried to change the fonts without jailbreak(by using simple_usbnet_1.1,it said that updated successfuly,but still bricked), sadly it failed.
So I thought about upgradeing to 5.03 , unfortunately it bricked again!!!

Then I hoped to downgrade it back to 5.0.
After D)exit ,reboot or Disable Diags--->D)--->Q) ,the kindle stuck at "System diags".
sole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sole View Post

I do need help.
Sorry for my poor English
Here is what i've done and happened to my kindle touch.
I upgraded my kindle from 5.03 to 5.1, but it bricked.
so i downgraded it back to 5.0,and made it to 5.1 successfully.Since I'm a Chinese ,I tried to change the fonts without jailbreak(by using simple_usbnet_1.1,it said that updated successfuly,but still bricked), sadly it failed.
So I thought about upgradeing to 5.03 , unfortunately it bricked again!!!

Then I hoped to downgrade it back to 5.0.
After D)exit ,reboot or Disable Diags--->D)--->Q) ,the kindle stuck at "System diags".
Try to boot main using MfgTool, from the "Select Boot" thread. You should be able to go back to 5.0.0 and start again, but NOT doing the step that bricked it.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
sole

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Try to boot main using MfgTool, from the "Select Boot" thread. You should be able to go back to 5.0.0 and start again, but NOT doing the step that bricked it.
thanks for the help.I opened the mfgtool,but didn't find "select boot ",instead I found there are three options(Kindle fastboot, Kindle diags, kindle main ) under the "profile " .which one should I choose? or any code I need to input?
I hope it could be a bit specific.
PS :this morning I didn't even make it to fastboot,maybe that's because Kindle wasn't fully charged ?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
sole

Quote:
I've tried choose "kindle main" ,but nothing happened except mfgtool showed it had successfully connectted
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
sole

Now I can't even get into fastboot.Right after successfully connect,it just disconnects automatically and shows "Please connect device".

Last edited by sole; 04-30-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
sole

Quote:

Now I can't even get into fastboot.Right after successfully connect,it just disconnects automatically and shows "Please connect device".
I may know the reason for now,I tried "kindle diags",showing charging image..
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bricked kindles drain the battery. Use a wall charger for several hours, then go to fastboot mode and let it charge more, then use fastboot to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh.img and 5.0.0 main kernel. Then use MfgTool to boot diags, open SSH menu N) U) Z) X) then do "dd if=mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K", and "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblkp3 bs=4K count=1024", "idme -d --bootmode main" "reboot"...

This information has been posted MANY TIMES to this forum. You should read it...
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
sole

I recall that I did "idme -d --bootmode main" in diags ssh after kt was stucked at diags.
I hope it would worth mentioning.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
I recall that I did "idme -d --bootmode main" in diags ssh after kt was stucked at diags.
I hope it would worth mentioning.
That changed it so a hard reset will try to boot to main. If you can get to fastboot you can do "fastboot setvar bootmode diags" and then it will reset to diags.

If you have not done so alread, you should install the mmcblk0p2 with SSH preinstalled. You can debrick it in five minutes if you have that. You can install it from fastboot.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
sole

Quote:
That changed it so a hard reset will try to boot to main. If you can get to fastboot you can do "fastboot setvar bootmode diags" and then it will reset to diags.

If you have not done so alread, you should install the mmcblk0p2 with SSH preinstalled. You can debrick it in five minutes if you have that. You can install it from fastboot.
So does it mean I should debrick kt all over again as follows:

1.get into fastboot mode

2.input code
Code:
fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
fastboot.exe setvar bootmode diags
fastboot.exe reboot
3.In diags,choose N>U>Z>X in sequence

4.Open SSH, do
Code:
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K
5.Exit diags,choose D>D>Q in sequence

Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
sole

Quote:
Bricked kindles drain the battery. Use a wall charger for several hours, then go to fastboot mode and let it charge more, then use fastboot to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh.img and 5.0.0 main kernel. Then use MfgTool to boot diags, open SSH menu N) U) Z) X) then do "dd if=mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K", and "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblkp3 bs=4K count=1024", "idme -d --bootmode main" "reboot"...

This information has been posted MANY TIMES to this forum. You should read it...
my fault,I'm new here.I don't know where to start.

Sorry for the troubles.

PS:I dont' own a kindle wall charger. if a moto milestone wall charger will help?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
my fault,I'm new here.I don't know where to start.

Sorry for the troubles.

PS:I dont' own a kindle wall charger. if a moto milestone wall charger will help?
Any USB wall charger that will plug into the kindle should be fine. They are all 5 volts. You do not need to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh if you already did that, but to downgrade from 5.1.0 to 5.0.0 you need to flash main kernel and main partition mmcbl0p1 (after charging the battery). The main partition must be flashed using dd from diags, because it is too large for fastboot (false "success" message if you try).
Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #13
sole

Quote:
Any USB wall charger that will plug into the kindle should be fine. They are all 5 volts. You do not need to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh if you already did that, but to downgrade from 5.1.0 to 5.0.0 you need to flash main kernel and main partition mmcbl0p1 (after charging the battery). The main partition must be flashed using dd from diags, because it is too large for fastboot (false "success" message if you try).

I've saved my kindle ,upgraded to 5.1 and changed fonts.

It looks like a brand new one to me.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
I've saved my kindle ,upgraded to 5.1 and changed fonts.

It looks like a brand new one to me.
I added your successful debricking report to the list in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929