Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #31
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You don't need much to run OverDrive, Audible, and Calibre.
Yup, and iTunes for the WAV audiobooks...that's pretty much why I bought my Dell Venue 8 Pro for ca. $160 last November. I added a 64 GB card to house my audio and ebooks, and use a RAV Power WiFi filehub with an external HDD attached to back up everything from Win, Android and iOS.

Last edited by xendula; 10-01-2014 at 07:34 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No DUH!! (Leaving aside the issue of internal HDD speed vs. external HDD speed.)

If you are using an external hard drive, then it is disingenuous to also say "You don't need much to run OverDrive, Audible, and Calibre."
Storage is a separate issue and not the same as day-to-day use. I don't need access to my entire downloaded catalog in order to listen to audiobooks stored in the cloud. I need just enough free storage to download files that will then be transferred to an MP3 player.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good question. I've got a Lenovo Yoga 2 11 with much better specs (Pentium, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, etc.) and it barely puts along on Windows 8.1. And every week or so you turn it on to see the dreaded, "You've got 9,347,824 updates ready to install. Would you like to install now and hopefully live long enough for Windows to finish?" I'm thinking those Streams will be slow-motion machines!
Before deciding on getting one, I'll wait for some real world reviews. The only reason I'd get one is to run several programs I can't run on my Chromebook.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
My Acer Chromebook has a 320GB hard drive.
Mine has a 16GB SSD. So far, plenty of room to run things.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Yup, and iTunes for the WAV audiobooks...that's pretty much why I bought my Dell Venue 8 Pro for ca. $160 last November. I added a 64 GB card to house my audio and ebooks, and use a RAV Power WiFi filehub with an external HDD attached to back up everything from Win, Android and iOS.
I don't store much on my Chromebook. It's a web and media device that mostly consumes content from the cloud. If on the off chance that I took it with me on a trip to watch videos, a couple of USB sticks would solve any storage needs I'd have.
Advert
Old 10-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #36
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have the regular SD card version of the RAV Power. The first time you end up in a situation where the wifi is terrible, is when you realize that relying on cloud storage isn't so great.

I am going to install the Technical Preview after dinner on my Dell, I'll let you all know how that goes with 2GB of RAM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #37
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Microsoft wont be able to kill chromebook anymore. Majority of people use the internet to use Google search, Facebook, Email, Youtube.
Most people that I know that are the main tech support for their families have started recommending chromebooks not just because of the ease of use but also fewer support headaches for themselves. Not having to install an antivirus\antimalware and run it every month or remove the 10-15 toolbars/useless software every few month is great incentive to promote chromebooks.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You don't need much to run OverDrive, Audible, and Calibre.
As they expand the Android apps that will run on Chrome hopefully two out of those three will be able to run on your Chromebook.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #39
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I can't really see much use in a 32GB Windows computer. Nearly half of that space would be used up by the OS.
not so. with Win 8.1 "WIMBoot" the os takes only 3GB http://hothardware.com/News/Microsof...Of-Disk-Space/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
As they expand the Android apps that will run on Chrome hopefully two out of those three will be able to run on your Chromebook.
Hopefully, Android versions of Audible and OverDrive will allow downloading the files to a Chromebook, and then to an MP3 player. Unfortunately, OD WMA audiobooks will still be unsupported. That format absolutely requires a Windows PC to download. Even though OverDrive announced last January that they planned to ditch WMA and switch to MP3 only for audiobooks, it still hasn't happened.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:18 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
not so. with Win 8.1 "WIMBoot" the os takes only 3GB http://hothardware.com/News/Microsof...Of-Disk-Space/
Well, I hadn't seen WIMBoot before (I'm firmly in the Linux world now), but I see it uses compressed files and pointers to these compressed files in the uncompressed section of the drive. So, you're right, it takes up less space ... but it also has the potential 1) to be slower (compression/decompression over and over again) and 2) for serious corruption. If the pointers get corrupted I can see the whole thing crashing.

And, with Windows, along with the OS, you need to add anti-virus, which adds to the overhead.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #42
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I wonder how much these will be in Europe. But even if they flipped $ with €, they would still be inexpensive for a Windows machine.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #43
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Tried out 10 today. Ran like a turtle on my Core 2 Duo Dell, but ran fine under Boot Camp on my 2011 MacBook Pro.

I did a 32GB partition on my Mac BTW, and it didn't make a fuss about it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #44
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Tried out 10 today. Ran like a turtle on my Core 2 Duo Dell, but ran fine under Boot Camp on my 2011 MacBook Pro.

I did a 32GB partition on my Mac BTW, and it didn't make a fuss about it.
How do you like the interface in comparison to 8.1?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Then it should be a speed demon on these new Celeron Winbooks