Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PW
Is there a way to rebuild the cover cache?

Hi, I'm having some issues with my PW2. I've removed (but I still have the backup) some of the covers from the thumbnails folder along with the linked books. Then through calibre I've added again the same books (this time with a different cover) but the cover won't show up in my kindle.

Is there a way to rebuilt the cover cache?
thanks.
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Belenos-
First, be sure to do a reconversion in Calibre after changing the cover of the book to make it 'stick'. After reloading the book, do a restart of your kindle. If that doesn't clear the cache, remove the book, do a restart of your kindle then re-add the book. Cheers!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If it is an official Amazon file, containing a mobi-asin and was never converted (it won't have the "personal" banner) the thumbnail MUST be sent to it! calibre will do this automatically.

I have noticed if this file is a .mobi, the Kindle won't recognize a change until you delete and re-add the book. I keep a rsync backup so it is easy to restore everything.

For anything that will have the personal banner, your Kindle will autogenerate a cover when it sees there isn't one already.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@Belenos-
First, be sure to do a reconversion in Calibre after changing the cover of the book to make it 'stick'. After reloading the book, do a restart of your kindle. If that doesn't clear the cache, remove the book, do a restart of your kindle then re-add the book. Cheers!
In my experience, this is only necessary for .mobi, with the proviso that restarts do nothing.

Although usually that is a great way to fix problems, not here.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
In my experience, this is only necessary for .mobi, with the proviso that restarts do nothing.

Although usually that is a great way to fix problems, not here.
Curious..I never had this issue with my K2, but have had it several times with my PW1...a persistant cover cache. The only way I was able to clear it so the new cover would show was by doing a restart. (Both with mobi and AZW3)
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Curious..I never had this issue with my K2, but have had it several times with my PW1...a persistant cover cache. The only way I was able to clear it so the new cover would show was by doing a restart. (Both with mobi and AZW3)
And mine is a Kindle Touch. It seems to cache the .mobi covers only. So who knows what the PW2 will do?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And mine is a Kindle Touch. It seems to cache the .mobi covers only. So who knows what the PW2 will do?
Whatever the PW2 does, I'm sure Amazon will call it a 'feature'!!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
@Belenos-
Thanks, so I should reconvert from mobi to mobi through Calibre?
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Thanks, so I should reconvert from mobi to mobi through Calibre?
After changing the book cover, yes. (there are some newer features in Calibre like 'polish book' that allow you to change metadata without doing a reconversion, but I can't recall if book covers is included....I know that doing a reconversion mobi-to-mobi works)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
After changing the book cover, yes. (there are some newer features in Calibre like 'polish book' that allow you to change metadata without doing a reconversion, but I can't recall if book covers is included....I know that doing a reconversion mobi-to-mobi works)
"Polish" only works with ePub and AZW3, not Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Although metadata updating does work when sending/saving to disk. However, it cannot replace the cover image in a .mobi, only update the meta fields.

.azw3 supports polish AND update-on-send for everything.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
When I was testing the thumbnails thingy, I found that removing a book *from the Kindle UI*, then triggering a catalog rescan (be it via a framework restart or a switch from USBMS to Framework) after re-adding the book usually did the job to get rid of the persnickety caching...

If the delete happens from an USBMS session, add another catalog scan. (delete, scan, re-add, scan).

EDIT: I'm clear as mud.

1/ Delete book from the Kindle UI.
2/ Switch to USBMS
3/ Add book
4/ Unplug

OR

1/ Switch to USBMS
2/ Delete
2/ Unplug
3/ Switch to USBMS
4/ Add book
5/ Unplug

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-10-2014 at 11:56 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 AM   #13
Belenos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
When I was testing the thumbnails thingy, I found that removing a book *from the Kindle UI*, then triggering a catalog rescan (be it via a framework restart or a switch from USBMS to Framework) after re-adding the book usually did the job to get rid of the persnickety caching...

If the delete happens from an USBMS session, add another catalog scan. (delete, scan, re-add, scan).

EDIT: I'm clear as mud.

1/ Delete book from the Kindle UI.
2/ Switch to USBMS
3/ Add book
4/ Unplug

OR

1/ Switch to USBMS
2/ Delete
2/ Unplug
3/ Switch to USBMS
4/ Add book
5/ Unplug