Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
[ROM] IQ 212 Repack (Beta 1 - 11/14/11)

Disclaimer: Please understand this is a Beta release and in no way a completed Rom. As with any custom Roms, Use at your own risk! Since it is a custom patch, you run the risk to brick your IQ if you are not careful. Do yourself a favor and get Titanium Backup and always backup yours apps/settings (It is included with the patch). This will also wipe your cache and some of your data so plan accordingly. A factory reset will be needed as well.

Download: IQ Rom Beta 1

Changelog:
1) Rooted and Busybox installed
2) added and removed apps
3) Improved 2d/3d Graphic libs
4) Optimized DVM without JIT compiler
5) custom HOSTS file to block ads and other malicious sites
6) Optimized Sqlite lib.
7) Various tweaks to the build.prop

Known issues:
1) Market won't work. I have merged the Non-Ugly hack in the Framework but it doesn't generate an AndroidID. I am sure the Ugly hack would still work though.

A JIT Rom will follow in the next few days with Flash Lite. This ROM does not have toms of apps but it is more a testbed at this point. As it gets ready, I will add more.

Please PM me comments/suggestions and bugreports.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Will it install on a 2.1.2 setup directly or is going back to 2.0.6 or earlier necessary?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

It will install on top of a 2.1.2 installation.

It will still erase some stuff so make sure to backup in case.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Icewyng
Addict

So... did anyone try it?

I didn't mean to scare everyone with the disclaimer! I just wanted to make sure everyone understand this is a beta release and some things might go wrong. Unless you are very unlucky, you won"t brick the device. Soft-brick, yes... but no hard-brick.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
will report back later. I do like the spinning Android on boot up.

Thanks for all of the hard work.

cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
will report back later. I do like the spinning Android on boot up.

Thanks for all of the hard work.

cheers
Thanks. I am glad I can bring all the experience I have gained to the IQ. After all, this is the device that started it all for me.

Also, I was able to port a Pandigital Novel ROM to the IQ! There is some tweaking to be done but I think that it means their port of Froyo and Gingerbread could theorically work on the IQ. I hope to have some good news on that soon.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A genuine 2.3 ROM would be seriously cool.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A genuine 2.3 ROM would be seriously cool.
If you give me some time to figure it out, I'd say it could happen in the next weeks.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #9
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
OK, so I went ahead with it and flashed the ROM. I already had a backup from a week or so back, so I didn't feel like I needed a new one. I didn't have any new apps installed in between then and now.

Everything went smoothly, though there were a couple of things I lost (like the native email app, calculator, reader and the recently read shelf which I like). I used my backup to re-install the apps, but was unable to install some of them (I got email and calculator back, but not the shelf and reader). How can I get them back?

Also, I cannot connect to the WiFi network at work. It scans for WiFi, and finds the one I use, but cannot connect. Should I go ahead with a factory reset? What data is lost in that case?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
Matula1
Enthusiast
Matula1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360°, IQ
The same by me, tried with factory reset - doesn`t work. Titanium also, so i can`t get back my Apps; "Busybox works but the "su" command does not elevate to root:"whoami" reports "whoami:unknown uid 10025 instead of root/uid 0."
I had also tried like the last time to update su, but it doesn`t help.
Any idea?
I like the bootup also.

Matula
Matula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Icewyng
Addict

@citac: I had that problem before and it has something to do with file permissions. I will look over the init.rc and way the ROM is updating to see if I can improve that and make sure that does not happen.

@Matula: I have the same problem so you are not the only one. It is related to the su file. I am working on it and is on my to-do list.

Anyone interested to run the SH20 ROM from the Novel on their IQ? Been running it for a few days now I love it. It is a keeper for me... until we get GB.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would be great, Icewyng. I took the IQ to our IT dept, and the guy checked the settings but couldn't find anything wrong. I don't have my cable to connect the IQ to the computer and transfer some files I need so I wanted to download them from Dropbox.

And sure, I wouldn't mind trying out the Novel ROM; luckily, after all this time I didn0t have any problems with flashing my IQ so I'm confident it won't happen now. (fingers crossed!)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
If you give me some time to figure it out, I'd say it could happen in the next weeks.
No pressure.
I fully understand miracles don't happen on demand or on schedule.
I'm just surprised and impressed it is even possible to consider given how the official updates are stuck on sdk 5.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
citac
Fanatic

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be a problem with the orientation. It wants to stick to landscape, and turning the IQ in my hands doesn't have any effect. Only when I go into a reading app and switch the orientation manually does it go back to portrait.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
One thing I noticed is that there seems to be a problem with the orientation. It wants to stick to landscape, and turning the IQ in my hands doesn't have any effect. Only when I go into a reading app and switch the orientation manually does it go back to portrait.
Yes, that is something I have noticed too. It is probably because of the drivers I have used for the update. I think I have an idea where the problem is.

To be honest, I think the PDN ROM feels more polished to me. I also like their homescreen as well. The only problems I had were the SDCard & wi-fi and they were easy enough to fix. I will throw something quick and send it online.