Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
The (quit) smoking thread

I thought I make another thread regarding smoking or quitting..

I have not had much success, even with the hypnosis recording, although I did give up for 36 hours.. The cigarettes I had left were burning a hole in my bag... If I hadn't had them available I probably wouldn't have started again...

The thing that got me, though, was the smell of my house, so I made a few changes, and I'm now smoking less than 20 cigarettes per day (19.. )

I had an awful habit of smoking at night... 3 cigs while I was reading, before going to sleep... Waking up at least 3 times a night just to have a smoke, and nearly falling asleep in the process... At least 2 smokes, before I got out of bed... It was a dangerous habit, and I had smoke detectors installed just for that reason...

Smoking in the bedroom is now out, and I haven't smoked in there since listening to that recording.

No smoking in the car - same thing - not since the recording..

If I need a smoke, while watching TV, I go outside or into my office, the only 2 places I'm now allowed (by myself) to smoke...

Obviously Mr Kirsten's suggestions was very much worth listening to, as I don't think I could have made or even followed these rules all by myself.

When my daughter was visiting today, she had 3 smokes to my 1... it's normally the other way around.

I'm not too disappointed, I couldn't give it away completely.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you need to make yourself ONLY smoke outside, not even the office to help cut down. and don't give yourself a chair or any other comfort factors
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I thought I make another thread regarding smoking or quitting..
Great!

Quote:
If I need a smoke, while watching TV, I go outside or into my office, the only 2 places I'm now allowed (by myself) to smoke...
Very smart to have an escape route and a shelter.

Quote:
I'm not too disappointed, I couldn't give it away completely.
In this game you count the battles you win, not the losses.

Because of LD, we do not allow ourself to smoke anywhere in the house, except in my bathroom, where there is one of those cheap electrostatic air filters running all the time.

Keep it up. In your old thread I suggested a trick for reducing. You might reread it.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Smoking is an extremely difficult habit to break. It usually requires an entire lifestyle change in order to do so successfully and remain healthy.

Diet and exercise and meditation helped me through it.

Good luck.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
do not smoke in bed

beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You did.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=smoking
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
To be honest, It wasn't hard for me to quit smoking at all. I got this book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Alan Carr and suffice to say it actually worked! I can't tell u a thing of what was in the book, lol, but I smoked for 12 years and I stoppped without moodiness, sleeplessness-none of it. U can do it!!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
To be honest, It wasn't hard for me to quit smoking at all. I got this book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Alan Carr and suffice to say it actually worked! I can't tell u a thing of what was in the book, lol, but I smoked for 12 years and I stoppped without moodiness, sleeplessness-none of it. U can do it!!
I'll have a look at it...

I'm sticking to all my rules, and smoking less than 20 per day... compared to the usual 50+
Old 06-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hope you are still not lighting up.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
It's weird, cuz I have talked to a bunch of people that are trying to quit smoking and they all say it's so hard to do but it's actually quit simple. I'm telling you, this book is awesome! If you think about it, there are no actual physical withdrawal symptoms from smoking-it's all in your mind. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Just stay away from people that still smoke-it really sucks when ur trying to quit, lol
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned

How has the nonsmoking been going?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
How has the nonsmoking been going?
It hasn't... but I have successfully cut down to less than half, what I used to smoke.... and I regard that as a positive.

I'm sticking to all my rules, and 'no smoking in bed' is probably the best one... I always was so afraid of waking up dead..
Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
It hasn't... but I have successfully cut down to less than half, what I used to smoke.... and I regard that as a positive.

I'm sticking to all my rules, and 'no smoking in bed' is probably the best one... I always was so afraid of waking up dead..
or lightly crisped?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
happy_terd
Banned

Cutting down is a very good thing to do.

Congrats!!!