Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Thumbs down eBook library 3.0 crashing

I've used eBook library 2.x quite intensively with Sony readers 505 and 700 without any problems.
Then I've updated to eBook library 3.0 and, for a short period, did use it with Sony 505, again without any problems.
2 days ago I've received my Sony 300. When connecting to eBook library, I can scroll my books without any problems, I even can add or change collections. But as soon as I try to copy books from my library (PC) to Sony 300, eBook library crashes. Every time.
Any ideas?

Update:
For me, it's working now https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=1

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-13-2009 at 03:51 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Any ideas?
Are you copying them by dragging them to the reader or syncing? Maybe try whichever method you're not using.

Does it work to add books other ways. Drag & Drop in explorer, Calibre? Just to make sure it's the Sony software (which it probably is) and not the 300 itself somehow.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Are you copying them by dragging them to the reader or syncing? Maybe try whichever method you're not using.

Does it work to add books other ways. Drag & Drop in explorer, Calibre? Just to make sure it's the Sony software (which it probably is) and not the 300 itself somehow.
I've tried to copy them by dragging them to the reader. Syncing crashed eBook library as well.

Copying via Windows explorer works fine. I even set my PC's clock accordingly, so the books on my reader show the date of original purchase, not of upload.
Drag and drop within Adobe Digital Editions works fine as well. So it's obviously the library software, not the reader itself.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-05-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
i have the prs-300 also and i can confirm that there are crash issues with the 3.0 software. both with drag and drop and with syncing. it's less of a problem with drag and drop. syncing in this version (with both my old prs-505 and prs-300) seems to be completely broken, it keeps crashing and i have to remove the kinoma directory to get the software to even launch again with a reader connected.
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Have you tried copying to the 505 or 700 using the Sony software?

Have you been using Calibre to load books onto your 300? You can only use one at a time for loading books onto the Reader.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
Have you tried copying to the 505 or 700 using the Sony software?

Have you been using Calibre to load books onto your 300? You can only use one at a time for loading books onto the Reader.
AFTER the Sony software PERMANENTLY has been crashing, I've tried calibre AND Adobe Digital Editions. Both have been working flawlessly. Sony 505 and Sony 700 are working with the Sony software, only Sony 300 makes it crash.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Mine kept crashing as well. After three different "help"desk chats each telling me to try something different I gave up. I deleted the "new & improved" version and reloaded 2.5; haven't had problem one since I reverted to the older version.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Thumbs down eBook library 3.0 and Sony 600

....crashes as well when copying or syncing eBooks...
Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
now, that is ironic.. Sony releases a new version for the launch of the 600 and 300, and it is exactly with those 2 models that it does not work.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
now, that is ironic.. Sony releases a new version for the launch of the 600 and 300, and it is exactly with those 2 models that it does not work.
Well, usually irony makes me smile and not whine.
I've already reinstalled.
And instead of manually downloading, I've tried the installation via its separate drive. Same result.
Always, so at least I can reproduce the fault
Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
After 4 installs and 1 complete uninstall / install, I pulled ALL of the books out of my library. As I re-added, I discovered some that apparently didn't work. All were PDFs.

Try pulling your PDFs out of the library ...
If it improves, add them back in one at a time until you find which ones are causing the problem.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Aubbie View Post
After 4 installs and 1 complete uninstall / install, I pulled ALL of the books out of my library. As I re-added, I discovered some that apparently didn't work. All were PDFs.

If it improves, add them back in one at a time until you find which ones are causing the problem.
So, this means, now you can drag and drop from eBook library 3.0 onto your Sony 600? Syncing as well?
Mine now permanently crashes, even with Sony 505.
I'll try your tip with 1 single ePUB, sitting lonely in my library.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Thumbs down eBook library 3.0 and Sony 505

...now it even crashes with Sony 505.
I've tried it only twice before. Either I've been lucky before or adding Sony 300/600 has caused some damage.
As suggested, I'll delete the entire library and only add a single ePUB for testing.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Aubbie View Post

Unfortunately, still crashes.
Either via drag and drop or sync.
With Sony 300 and Sony 505 as well.
I've deleted the entire library and then only added a single BBeB, purchased from Sony.
Adobe Digital Editions and calibre are working without any problems. Really strange...
Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
moespook
moespook began at the beginning.

Device: bebook; sony 600
don't know if this helps

I too had problems with ebl 3.0 It crashed every time I hooked up the 600. After reading through a lot of threads here on MR and trying out different suggestions I found a solution which worked for me (don't remember where exactly on MR though ). It entails shutting off DEP (Data execution prevention). I'm not exactly a computer whizz, but I realise that by doing this I lower the safety of my pc. In this setting DEP only works for essential Window components. The wiki has a good page on DEP.

My ebl 3.0 works faultlessly now (I had no trouble with ADE at any time, but this still works as well). So perhaps it's worth trying. It's a bit of a hassle to have to shut off DEP every time I want to hook up the reader as it requires a windows reboot, and having to change the setting again after I'm finished, but I got it working again. You could always choose to do without ebl and just use Calibre for instance.
moespook is offline   Reply With Quote