Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Kobo Touch?
Yep, I'm happy with my purchase. 128 79.50%
No way! I want another eReader. 3 1.86%
I will be with the right firmware update(s). 30 18.63%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #91
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
I used to be fairly happy until 1.9.11, but now since it's pretty well borked(not seeing new content), it's pretty much made my KT useless.
It kind of sucks, but this can be fixed. Back up your books, factory reset. Update the version you want. I would suggest going with 1.9.11 and trying to identify the book that fails to load and therefore causes you this grief.. But hey, if you really want to install 1.9.10, go for it, (the downside being you can't sync Kobo drm books.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #92
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It kind of sucks, but this can be fixed. Back up your books, factory reset. Update the version you want. I would suggest going with 1.9.11 and trying to identify the book that fails to load and therefore causes you this grief.. But hey, if you really want to install 1.9.10, go for it, (the downside being you can't sync Kobo drm books.)
You're missing my point it's EVERY book that I try which are openable with various Android epub readers, e.g. Cool Reader on my Nook Color running CM7. (I even went so far as trying MULTIPLE ways of loading content before I gave up and just used the NC for last night, wifi, manual via cli, etc.)

But, yes, I was going to go through the hassle of yet again factory resetting and let it go to 1.9.11 again and see if the fscked the filesystem yet again. (I had to factory reset before going to 1.9.10 as I was one of the MANY that got hit with their last filesystem corruption. Someone needs to get busy doing some serious code quality/correctness reviewing at Kobo IMNHO.)

(Also plan to see if anyone has Kindle Touch demo units today as well as I seriously doubt that Amazon has these sorts of problems.)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #93
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I am very satisfied.

The only major problems that I've had was related to data loss, which has been fixed; and my stupidity, because I was playing with the hacks.

For the people who seem to have trouble with various firmware versions, my advice is to avoid upgrading until others have offered feedback and to keep a backup of the last working firmware version on your computer (just in case).
Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #94
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
I simply cannot recommend the KT until the fw stabilizes in a useable state.

I ended up with the widespread db corruption problem prior to 1.9.10 and somehow going to 1.9.11 something got silently corrupted which required a factory reset, and re-upgrade, so I just cannot recommend Kobo products to anyone like grandma, i.e. low/no technical skills and low tolerance for defects. As it is I'm not even happy with the situation, as these types of problems should be squashed before a fw ships, if this were a more expensive item it'd've long since gone back.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote