Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #241
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
How is that in any way relevant to the vast majority of books publishing, which is fiction for recreational reading? Do you propose some system by which you can force someone to do "mandatory excercises" when they buy a trashy romance novel? If not, then maybe you could try to come up with something relevant to the real world.
If you read more carefully you see that is was an answer to a specific question. Maybe you try to read better to come up with more relevant posts.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #242
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:

Says the guy who was ingorant of the historical example of what happens when you do away with coypright.
Lucky then that I did not argue from ignorance. Did you really miss that or did you just ignore it to make an ad hominen attack?

Try to write towards the arguments instead of attacking persons. You know according to the rules for the site.
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #243
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
Well, Taustin, old mate, you have finally convinced me, from now on I will drop to my knees twice daily and give thanks to the copyright gods.
It's good to know I've accomplished something worthwhile.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #244
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Vast majority? On MobileRead I think, but not generally.

I'm having a hard time finding good statistics on this, but the following gives some idea:

[Bestselling books of 2011: the top 100 listed

Certainly fiction for recreational reading is the biggest single category, but when you add up all the small categories, they come to more. Here is a link on that, found in my last link:

http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data...s/type-of-book
Which is to say, I was largely correct, in that "mandatory excercises" for textbooks are not, in any way, relevant to the vast majority of publishing.

Good of you to agree.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #245
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If you read more carefully you see that is was an answer to a specific question. Maybe you try to read better to come up with more relevant posts.
Maybe you should try to participate in the same conversation as everybody else.
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #246
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Lucky then that I did not argue from ignorance. Did you really miss that or did you just ignore it to make an ad hominen attack?

Try to write towards the arguments instead of attacking persons. You know according to the rules for the site.
When I see agruments, and not "I don't wanna pay for what I take!" whining, perhaps I will.

In the meantime, the very title of this thread precludes the possibility of reasoned argument.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #247
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
When I see agruments, and not "I don't wanna pay for what I take!" whining, perhaps I will.

In the meantime, the very title of this thread precludes the possibility of reasoned argument.
I seem to recall that this was mostly about format shifting with the possibility of lending that shifted format to another while precluding access to any and all formats made from the original copy from yourself.

This sounds reasonable, no need to argue about it.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #248
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
It's good to know I've accomplished something worthwhile.
My cup runneth over.

1. Hawthorn lost the Grand Final.
2. Approbation from my new guru.
3. Another couple of "taustin specials" for use in polite, calm rational debate on the issues, without things like sarcasm and name-calling:
try to participate in the same conversation as everybody else
"I don't wanna pay for what I take!" whining
the very title of this thread precludes the possibility of reasoned argument

(not too sure about that last one though, taustin old buddy; it could be read by some as a double-edged sword applying to posts on both sides of the argument, if you get my drift).

God's in His Heaven, All's Right With the World
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #249
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I seem to recall that this was mostly about format shifting with the possibility of lending that shifted format to another while precluding access to any and all formats made from the original copy from yourself.

This sounds reasonable, no need to argue about it.
That sounds illegal, no need to whine about it unless your intent is to do something illegal.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #250
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
God's in His Heaven, All's Right With the World
Indeed, it is, when you listen to your betters.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #251
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Indeed, it is, when you listen to your betters.
Thank you, thank you guru, if you could just let me know who my betters are I'll make sure I always listen to them from now on, I definitely wouldn't want to be the one responsible for God not being in his Heaven.

(PS, it looks like the ungodly missed your admission to tompe in post #246 that you found it impossible to engage in reasoned argument on this topic. I think we've got away with it so far, so just remember, don't mention the war, ).
Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #252
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF

The original topic of this thread has been covered and additional posting has not added to the discussion.

A few members need to review our Posting Guidelines, specifically 1. Discuss Things Politely and the part about the "ignore" function.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Tags
drm, ebooks, ethics, piracy, price