Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #106
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Let's try this again. What you get when you open a KESO is a prompt window with two options: a link that takes you to a web page with your Special Offers and a " Continue Reading" option. There is no splash page with ads.
OK. No splash screen.

But I can GUARANTEE you that "optional ads that consumers have to choose to see" are NOT something most advertisers are going to want to pay for.

Heck, Amazon isn't even paying for that. They're slightly cutting into their Kindle profit margin. Not the same thing.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #107
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Given the success of the KSO , you would be wrong about that. Remember, no one actually has to even look at the scree savers or go to the Special Offers
home page. They want to, because they like the offers. And I'm sure that the advertisers don't get to put those ads on the screen savers and so home page for free.

Last edited by stonetools; 05-27-2011 at 11:12 AM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #108
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Given the success of the KSO , you would be wrong about that. Remember, no one actually has to even look at the scree savers or go to the Special Offers home page. They want to, because they like the offers. And I'm sure that the advertisers don't get to put those ads on the screen savers and so home page for free.
The KSO is a one-time $25 discount, leveraged against hundreds of advertisements over the life of the product. Each advertiser's cost is pennies per Kindle, or potentially, as much as few dollars per month for being on the screensaver rotation. Are you seriously claiming that advertisers will pay $5 or more PER BOOK for ads that the customer can skip past with the click of a button?

Find me these advertisers; I need startup capital for a business project.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #109
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Given the success of the KSO , you would be wrong about that. Remember, no one actually has to even look at the scree savers or go to the Special Offers
home page. They want to, because they like the offers. And I'm sure that the advertisers don't get to put those ads on the screen savers and so home page for free.
No, I'm not wrong, because I very clearly stated that an advertiser would not pay money for optional ads and that Amazon is not paying money for their optional ads. They are cutting very slightly into their profit margin of what is essentially a "loss leader" item designed to saturate the market and lock in brand loyalty as much as possible.

That is a very different type of ad strategy than what most advertisers are able to pursue.

Quote:
And I'm sure that the advertisers don't get to put those ads on the screen savers and so home page for free.
Unless I misunderstand, the ONLY advertisers on the KSO at the moment is Amazon and Amazon-owned subsidiaries (Audible, etc.). No one is paying money to be on the KSO at the moment, afaik.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #110
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The KSO is a one-time $25 discount, leveraged against hundreds of advertisements over the life of the product. Each advertiser's cost is pennies per Kindle, or potentially, as much as few dollars per month for being on the screensaver rotation. Are you seriously claiming that advertisers will pay $5 or more PER BOOK for ads that the customer can skip past with the click of a button?

Find me these advertisers; I need startup capital for a business project.
Except that the people the ads are presented to are motivated to seek out the ads. That's a big difference from your run-of-the mill customer. That makes it more likely that advertisers will pay for such ads. Seriously, re-read the post of every KSO owner who posted on this thread. They are not you.

Well, we have moved from "it's impossible to present ads across all platforms" to "Its impossible to present useful ads" to "OK, the subsidy from the ads CAN'T be $5 per ebook". Progress.

The point is that there is a technically possible model for ads in ebooks. Advertisers who pay for ads in the KSO will pay SOMETHING for ads in a KESO. If Amazon aggregates enough of those advertisers, then its a financially sustainable model.
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #111
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Unless I misunderstand, the ONLY advertisers on the KSO at the moment is Amazon and Amazon-owned subsidiaries (Audible, etc.). No one is paying money to be on the KSO at the moment, afaik.
You may have not read my post up-thread which linked to an article that stated that GM and Proctor & Gamble were among the original advertisers. These are among the biggest advertisers globally.
It is true that Amazon initially provided the majority of the offers on the KSO. However, outside advertisers have always participated in the KSO program and Amazon is recruiting more advertisers. Their share of the Kindle Special Offers program will only grow.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #112
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Sometimes I buy a magazine just to get the ads. I know my grandmother looked at the newspaper just to see the ads and I suspect my mother did. If the headline said, "Mayor murdered in love nest," they might have missed it heading to an ad for spring dresses.

Ads I hate are the ones designed to, supposedly, force you to look at them. First on my hate list are the plethora of cards that cascade to the floor when I open a magazine. So, I always open my magazine and riffle the pages in the newstand. Second, at the ads on cards stuck in the magazine where you need to tear them out before you can read the article. Aaargh!

The ads, as described, on the Kindles wouldn't bother me in the least.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #113
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Well, we have moved from "it's impossible to present ads across all platforms" to "Its impossible to present useful ads" to "OK, the subsidy from the ads CAN'T be $5 per ebook". Progress.
I for one am annoyed that you keep claiming that goalposts are being moved in this thread. If you would actually pay attention to the beginning of the thread, you will see that people have been making several similar points all along. Elfwreck brought up the price issue in zie's first post in this thread, and again in the second, and again elsewhere. So, no, the argument hasn't "moved" anywhere.

I for one am getting really tired of you trying to turn an interesting discussion into some kind of moral crusade where the nasty people on the other side of the fence keep moving the argument every time you supposedly lay down a gotcha. It's so tiresome.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Did you ever meet one those people who've never been wrong (or changed their mind) about one single thing in their lives... ever?

It rarely goes well. Because the topic of conversation is irrelevant... hell, the conversation is irrelevant. The only thing relevant seems to be; "hear me speak, oh ye who are not me!"
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #115
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did you ever meet one those people who've never been wrong (or changed their mind) about one single thing in their lives... ever?

It rarely goes well. Because the topic of conversation is irrelevant... hell, the conversation is irrelevant. The only thing relevant seems to be; "hear me speak, oh ye who are not me!"
With subcategories between people who want to "educate" everyone to be initiated into their One True Way point of view and the people who want to "win" an argument, so every discussion gets warped into some kind of weird "them vs. the world" so that they can tilt windmills?

At least it's interesting to read for awhile.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #116
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I for one am annoyed that you keep claiming that goalposts are being moved in this thread. If you would actually pay attention to the beginning of the thread, you will see that people have been making several similar points all along. Elfwreck brought up the price issue in zie's first post in this thread, and again in the second, and again elsewhere. So, no, the argument hasn't "moved" anywhere.

I for one am getting really tired of you trying to turn an interesting discussion into some kind of moral crusade where the nasty people on the other side of the fence keep moving the argument every time you supposedly lay down a gotcha. It's so tiresome.
I have been the only one on this thread who has actually admitted it when I was wrong . No one else has been willing do so, even when they were proven wrong.
When I pointed out politely that anamardoll made a mistake, he didn't admit it but responded by accusing me of being self-righteous . Seems like case of projection to me.

Possibly Diapdialer should have considered that, before jumping in with his me too post at 1.27 PM. Now DD should apologize for that, but frankly I am not holding my breath
Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #117
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Possibly Diapdialer should have considered that, before jumping in with his me too post at 1.27 PM. Now DD should apologize for that, but frankly I am not holding my breath
Funny you would automatically assume my post was about you. I'm sorry you feel that I need to apologize for anything... but I always double-check before I hit the "post" button to avoid mistakes. Also to make sure that I've said exactly what I intended to say. Apologies are for when you accidentally bump into someone--otherwise... if you don't mean it, don't say it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote