Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
1.4 Softroot - for me, more trouble than it was worth

It has been an interesting three days. After a first, failed attempt at installing the Nookdevs new softroot (which left my Nook completely useless) I was finally able to reboot to a factory default and daringly tried again.

The Nookdevs firmware is truly impressive. I love their versions of icons, and how the collection of buttons can be user modified. The apps are a bit cludgy, but nice. My problem comes from the fact that I softrooted for the sole purpose of accessing my Calibre library.

Awesome 1: The combined library. I do prefer the look/feel of the stock coverflow, but having both libraries integrated is very nice.

Problem 1: The softroot swaps the order of drives. There is a some reason that changing the drive letters doesn't help. When connected to Calibre, things that should go to the internal card to to the external, and vice versa.

Problem 2: Calibre has updated the online catalog file to better meet standards. This breaks Nookdevs / Calibre compatibility. I was able to hack Calibre such that it worked, but I don't like taking steps backwards in order to move forward.

Problem 3: The Nookdevs software responsibly accesses only WiFi (not the B&N Network) but has some sort of trouble staying connected. There is a tool to separately address this, but it is just an extra step I'd rather no deal with. (Yes, I am that lazy.)

Bleh 1: Other than the merged libraires, the additional apps were not particularly handy for me. I've always got a PC or a netbook close by which can better manage files. For those who don't, I can see the immense value the Nookdevs package could provide.

Bleh 2: One of the cool things I'd hoped I would be able to do with the Softroot was play Pandora Radio. But this is still a bit of a hack and is not (yet) smoothly intetgrated.

The latest softroot is close but no cigar. I was adequately impressed such that I'll give the next version a shot, as I am sure the problems I encountered will be big issues for many users, and will likely be addressed in the near future.

Its a really cool package, including some well-thought out tools which add quite a bit for the power user. I'll miss the cool icons. But the niggling problems degraded my user experience more than they improved it.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
Problem 2: Calibre has updated the online catalog file to better meet standards. This breaks Nookdevs / Calibre compatibility. I was able to hack Calibre such that it worked, but I don't like taking steps backwards in order to move forward.
If you're talking about Trook, there's an update that fixes that. In Trook, select nookDevs and install nookMarket. In nookMarket find "Trook craftycoder". Tap and hold to uninstall Trook. Find it again, and install it.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
It's great that you tried softrooting (twice) - apps are in the early stages and free, but I'm sure that the apps will improve...

I may be able to address a few of your issues:

"Problem 1: The softroot swaps the order of drives."

This doesn't happen on a Mac, and for Windows, there's a pretty straightforward drive letter re-assignment that seems to work (here).

"Problem 2: Calibre has updated the online catalog file to better meet standards."

Sorry - I haven't experienced this, but hacking is what Nookdevs is about - that's half the fun!

"Problem 3: The Nookdevs software responsibly accesses only WiFi (not the B&N Network) but has some sort of trouble staying connected."

Nookdevs WiFi disconnects when the WiFi isn't being used - I haven't had disconnects when accessing the B&N store, or the Web. The "stay connected" helper app is when you access your Nook via VNC as the underlying VNC server doesn't keep the WiFi connected.

"Bleh 1: Other than the merged libraires, the additional apps were not particularly handy for me."

I know what you mean, although I like the PDF viewer for rotation and zoom. I'm also having fun with Android sources and am currently modifying an Andriod z-machine for playing interactive fiction (Twisty).

"Bleh 2: Pandora Radio...is still a bit of a hack"

Agreed.

Maybe it work be worthwhile to try again in a couple of months to see how things have progressed. With so many Andriod apps, it shouldn't be too long before a significant number are modified to run on the Nook.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
If you have a decently large collection of material in My Documents, the nookdev My Library is awesome. Be kind of cool if they ever add in drop down menu for series name like how they handled authors.
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
Bleh 2: One of the cool things I'd hoped I would be able to do with the Softroot was play Pandora Radio. But this is still a bit of a hack and is not (yet) smoothly intetgrated.
To be fair, the Pandora app wasn't developed by the nookdevs guys. It was made by Pandora for release to the Android market (for use on smartphones). That's why it seems like a kludge...it is. Having said that, once it is set up, it does work well.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I have been running my Nook for a while and upgraded to the new softroot when it was released. It has been just plugging away without problems for me. I leave my nook in airplane mode almost all the time so obviously we have different ideas how networking should work on a ereader.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I softrooted just to get the combined library and search features. An added bonus for me was being able to remove all the buttons except for my library and settings. I just want to read on my reader.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I pretty much agree with you, I was also underwhelmed with the softroot, but I'm keeping it because I want the combined library, AND I really really love the original solid matte icons that came with the earliest nook firmware. Gloss icons, blah. This isn't an iPhone.
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
BTW, don't try to softroot a Nook WiFi running the 1.4.1 firmware, it will brick your Nook.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #10
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
BTW, don't try to softroot a Nook WiFi running the 1.4.1 firmware, it will brick your Nook.
I feel as though there should be a sticky of this, its very important....
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Should read "Don't try to softroot any Nook running 1.4.1 firmware"

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 08-15-2010 at 09:39 AM.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I feel as to something is wrong here, I just installed Softroot and my battery has went down from 92 to 85 in 15 mins.....
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote