Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
New OpenInkpot Snapshot

The folks over at OpenInkpot have released a "snapshot" of their firmware. They describe it as:

Quote:
We are publishing snapshots between major releases. You can install it if you are looking for bugfixes and bleeding edge improvements.
You can run it as a "live" install from your SD card (which preserves your existing firmware) or you can flash it to replace your existing firmware.

I'm flashing it now.

Note: This is intended for Hanlin V3 and rebrands.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 11-29-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
So I got it up and running on the Cybook.

But, as I don't have all the key mappings, it got stuck on a menu within an ebook. Here's a photo.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4363.jpg
Views:	1732
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	18468  
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm surprised that you got it up and running on the Cybook. My understanding was that it was for Hanlin V3 and rebrands only. I've added a note to my original post to that effect.

It seems to me that I've read a discussion about key mappings for the Cybook somewhere, but I can't find it now. Perhaps dottedmag or Lunohod or Ondra could let you know what is the Cybook key mapping?
Old 11-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I'm surprised that you got it up and running on the Cybook. My understanding was that it was for Hanlin V3 and rebrands only. I've added a note to my original post to that effect.

It seems to me that I've read a discussion about key mappings for the Cybook somewhere, but I can't find it now. Perhaps dottedmag or Lunohod or Ondra could let you know what is the Cybook key mapping?
Ondra was nice enough to post a recent compilation under the Netronix page at OI. And the mapping may have changed.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
It's nice to see it running on the cybook. The dialog box is in the wrong "nav" mode. There's a little a value that needs to be set in the FBReader software to make it work for cybook - ask Lunohod to set it up. It's something as simple as:
nav_mode=1;
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

The OI site has instructions on Madshelf config here, including the entry for nav_mode.

But Derek's screen cap is from FBReader. Does the same nav_mode config apply there?
Old 11-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
Yup, it also applies to FBReader. Actually, I swiped the code from madshelf when I made the options dialog widget used in FBReader, so it uses the same little "nav_mode" switch. LunohoD hasn't moved it to a config file yet, though, so it'll have to be set in the code for now.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Derek

Are you running it from a SD card? If so how does it initiate?
(have downloaded what looks to be the zip file with all the files, and, per example, it has no exe file in it, so...)

I’m very curious to test OpenInkpot in my Cybook, but of course I’m not going to change the original OS in this moment.

BTW: any other tips?

Best regards,
Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi Derek

Are you running it from a SD card? If so how does it initiate?
(have downloaded what looks to be the zip file with all the files, and, per example, it has no exe file in it, so...)

I’m very curious to test OpenInkpot in my Cybook, but of course I’m not going to change the original OS in this moment.

BTW: any other tips?

Best regards,
Well,

First thing is that, as-zipped, the FBReader and MadShelf use the Jinke V3/BeBook key-mapping and another file must be loaded in at run-time to make the D-Pad (navigation pad) act properly.

Second, I *am* running from the SD card so the original firmware is still in place for me to use. Booting is a two-step process. One must first insert the SD card containing the OI software (in the 'root' level - not in a sub-folder) and boot into it. Instructions are included. Then, when it gets to the 'blank' screen showing it's done, one must then press the power-on switch another time which will finish the loading.

It's *SLOW* because the Cybook only has 16MB of RAM and FBReader is *NOT* optimized at this point for such a small memory. There *is* a pad for a second memory chip but no one's actually experimented with soldering one into place - that requires the possibl sacrifice of the Cybook being modified. However, if that works, the Cybook would then have as much RAM as most other e-ink readers and speed would increase.

I'll post more later.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Thanks!

I will try it as soon as I can.