Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #61
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Thanks for the direct link, I was going to start looking over there today for the right one. And thanks for being so patient with such a techno-newbie (in reality, it's the "oldness" of myself which is the barrier - I'm in my 50's) But I like learning this stuff so I'll keep trying.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #62
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Catsknit, I'm in my mid-50's too, and had no clue about these things until a year ago (or less). I was terrified by the mere thought of messing with my Nook Color's internals and it took me until a few months ago to install a ROM internally instead of running it from sd.
So don't worry! We're here for you, and I bet I'm not the only one who took baby steps into this.
(Now I'm hooked and can't stop messing around, but don't feel like you have to get that crazy! )
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #63
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm 45. I'm also a computer programming teacher for high school students and adults.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #64
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Ha, well good to know I'm not too old for this stuff, but you Kevinp, at least have the technical background for it!

Haven't had a chance to re-do the card yet but I did download everything last night. I went to bed leaving the Nook with 100% charge, booted into Android (after several random reboots in the evening again) but wifi off, and this morning it was so dead even plugging it in didn't revive it right away - took 15 min charge to even turn on. I guess it kept trying to reboot over night and that might be what drained it b/c when I'd previously left it in Nook mode with wifi off the battery seemed OK. If not, I'll get it exchanged soon, but first I want to try the CM10.

thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #65
catsknit
Addict

OK, I downloaded the correct CM10 and gapps files. I started over on your instructions, with writing the cwm image to the card (same card I used before) - Nook won't boot from the card. I then used Windows to reformat the card, downloaded new copy of cwm (using the sdcard-cwm-hummingbirdv3.img) and repeated, still no boot. Windows only shows 117 mb for the card; I assume it's b/c it can't read all the partitions? or have I now formatted it to be that tiny, and how do I fix it?

Nook will still boot into stock but with sd card in, doesn't even power up. thanks.
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #66
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Is it possible the card is not compatible with Nooks?
My Nook Color would not read one of my cards. I switched brands and it read that one fine.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #67
catsknit
Addict

No, I was using it before in the Nook just fine. Good thought, though.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #68
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
OK, I downloaded the correct CM10 and gapps files. I started over on your instructions, with writing the cwm image to the card (same card I used before) - Nook won't boot from the card. I then used Windows to reformat the card, downloaded new copy of cwm (using the sdcard-cwm-hummingbirdv3.img) and repeated, still no boot. Windows only shows 117 mb for the card; I assume it's b/c it can't read all the partitions? or have I now formatted it to be that tiny, and how do I fix it?

Nook will still boot into stock but with sd card in, doesn't even power up. thanks.
Somewhere in my process you should've installed MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition. Put your SD card in your computer and open the program. You should be able to see all the partitions on your SD cards (although you can only do things mostly with the first partition). My first partition, called "BOOT" is the same size as yours.

I had the problem with the Nook not booting from the SD card. It was because the BOOT partition was not set as "active". You can check this in MiniTool P.W. The bottom half of the screen shows your drives. Look at the one that is your SD card (of course) and it should have four partitions on it. The first one labeled "boot" should be FAT32 and should say "Active". Like in my picture. The self-formatter script should really have set all this up. It's possible your SD card could be corrupt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SD_card.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	99645  
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #69
catsknit
Addict

Thanks, I just checked it and it is set to active already. Funny thing is, last night, after I'd posted, it did finally boot up from the card, but I was getting ready to go to bed and just shut it down. Now today, again it's not booting from the card!
Shouldn't formatting and re-imaging the card fix any corrupt files? I already did that once, but will try it again, but I also wonder if the card is just a problem, or my Nook itself is. I don't think I'll be able to get another card to try quickly; last time I had to order online b/c I couldn't find any of the "good" ones locally in the correct size (I"m using a Sandisk Class 4, 32 gb b/c the n2a forums had a list of the ones they knew worked and ones that don't, at least for the HD+)
thanks for all the help; I'll keep trying while I look for another card, and I may go ahead and get the Nook exchanged this week too.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #70
kevinp
Fanatic

I started having more problems than it was worth--random reboots, corrupt SD card, battery dying overnight, etc. That's why I gave up on CM10 for now. It's not quite ready yet.

I rooted my HD+ and installed Google Play. I have the stability of running on the stock ROM and I can install almost anything from the Google Play store. You might consider doing the same, but wait until after you exchange your HD.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #71
catsknit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I started having more problems than it was worth--random reboots, corrupt SD card, battery dying overnight, etc. That's why I gave up on CM10 for now. It's not quite ready yet.
That sounds exactly like the problems I've been having with CM10.1. I was hoping the CM10 would be more stable but doesn't sound like it.

I was just trying to copy over the correct CM and gapps files to the card, now that it had finally booted in the Nook again, and even though I had formatted the card (in Windows) - it's still showing the old zip files on it when I use Ubuntu, and it won't let me delete them OR add the new files, says that partition is read-only and won't let me change that. So I wonder if it has corrupted my card. I think I'll stick with the stock Nook for a few days and see whether I'm going to need to exchange or not (not sure if the battery issue is native or from the sd card reboots, etc.) before trying any further.
If I root like you have (which would be another set of instructions I'd need ) that would then void the warranty, correct? That's what I'm trying to avoid at the moment.
I saw these instructions on another forum; is this like what you are doing?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #72
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
what is "rooted" as opposed to the "lets make this a decent android tablet" route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post

I rooted my HD+ and installed Google Play. I have the stability of running on the stock ROM and I can install almost anything from the Google Play store. You might consider doing the same, but wait until after you exchange your HD.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #73
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
If I root like you have (which would be another set of instructions I'd need ) that would then void the warranty, correct? That's what I'm trying to avoid at the moment.
I saw these instructions on another forum; is this like what you are doing?
That is the exact link I went to when I rooted. He has a zip that will root and a zip that will unroot. So, if you ever need to trade in your HD or bring it in for work, hopefully you can unroot it.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #74
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
what is "rooted" as opposed to the "lets make this a decent android tablet" route?
Rooting is like having administrator rights on your computer. It allows you to get into the settings of the operating system and change stuff around (if you want).

Not to be confused with replacing the ROM (the operating system). You must root first before you can change the ROM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #75
catsknit
Addict

I finally got it rooted last night. I kept having problems with my sd card, but used the miniTool Partition Wizard to scan it and then wipe it, then formatted it over before writing the CWM image to it and it seems to work better now. I had a bit of a panic, though, at first b/c after I'd copied over the zips I needed and went to reboot, nothing happened. I mean nada, no boot up to Nook at all, no power on, anything. I plugged it in even though I knew it was fully charged, and a few minutes later I was able to boot it up; things went smoothly from there on. But if it hadn't turned on at all, and I went to exchange it, it wouldn't matter that I had backed up the stock before rooting, b/c I wouldn't be able to restore it! Hopefully the power cord thing will continue to work if that happens each time.