Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
rdolmat
rdolmat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Gutenberg file renaming?

Hi folks!

Going to pick up my new PRS-505 this morning!! Who-hoo!

In preparation, I download a few thousand txt files from the Gutenberg FTP! (I know, I'm a little excited!).

But all the file names are something like a322oof.txt, and 9ssuj38.txt etc...

Is there a program that will index and rename all the text files to their real book names? Or a program that will read a first line of the text file and pull the title out?

thanks for helpin a newbie!

cheers
rich
rdolmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take a look in the ebook section here. There are LOTS of PG books formatted for the 500/505. You don't have to do the work on a lot of good books. Just download, load and enjoy.

There is no program to auto-rename your PG FTPed books. You'll have to do it manually.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
rdolmat
rdolmat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow! Fast reply!

Thanks for your help. I'll browse around here for pre-formatted stuff!

cheers
rich
rdolmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
There is Guber (altho I haven't used it), might be worth trying:
"Guber, short for Gutenberg renamer, renames text files provided by the Gutenberg project into the format "Author, Title" by automatically extracting the relavent information from the text file. Guber can do single files or Batch processing of a directory"

http://programs4all.net/programs/Guber.htm
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Seems I missed that one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Oh, man, NOW I find out about that! What a bummer! I've renamed all the ones I was the least bit interested in already!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #7
Fzzt
Enthusiast
Fzzt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Great timing! I was just thinking of how I could batch extract the author, title from those totally generic filenames.

Lotsa karma for posting that link
Fzzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

The only problem is that I can't get it to work. It appears to be working but I get no results!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
The only problem is that I can't get it to work. It appears to be working but I get no results!
I had a play with it on my WinXP PC.

Downloaded and extracted the Guber zip to a new folder.
Copied some GP texts to a separate folder.
Ran guber.bat - which brought up the GUI
Overwrote "Enter a path..." with the path to the folder with the GP texts
Clicked the Rename All Files button
and it ran ok, and output info to the Log window.

It's not 100% - the author claims 90% success.
I tried it with hundreds of texts and it encountered problems with some files (split Human Genome Project texts) that seemed to affect it's efficiency with other files.
If I just do a hundred or so at a time, it seems to work pretty well.

UPDATE
Just had another go and also got no action.
When I removed the first file and reran it, it then worked.
It looks like it can't cope with certain files

Last edited by Sparrow; 01-05-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru

Just my luck to have randomly selected a file it couldn't work with!