Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
When Amazon makes something free ...

How long does it stay free for? I always thought they would stay free as long as there was somewhere else (non-pirate) where you could get them for free, but I just noticed The Facebook Killer part 1 is back up to full price again.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it's probably a few days to a week that they have things as free, though I don't know for sure. sort of like a coupon period where from date to date the book is reduced or free.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My novel has been free since may, so dunno how to answer that. Maybe for as long as they know its free somewhere?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
they can do anything they want. There is no set formula for it, apparently.
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's no set anything at Amazon. I've been trying for over a month to get them to list my book Evoguia as free, sending them links to the Smashwords page in which it is free, and even changing my book description to specify the book is free. Not only have they not changed the price, but they won't update the description.

I've finally unpublished the book from their store, out of frustration.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
There's no set anything at Amazon. I've been trying for over a month to get them to list my book Evoguia as free, sending them links to the Smashwords page in which it is free, and even changing my book description to specify the book is free. Not only have they not changed the price, but they won't update the description.

I've finally unpublished the book from their store, out of frustration.
Maybe it's because you are reporting it yourself? Or maybe they just don't discount on things that are only on Smashwords. I don't see the point pulling it though, you might as well leave it up for anyone who wants to buy it. I sold a few before they made it free. I felt a bit guilty about that, but it was their choice to pay for it.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine was on a dozen ebook stores for free for a months till Az made it free. Impossible to guess when/what they will do, but I agree with Ploopy... leave it up.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would leave it up, but since the edits I made to the description should've gone up in a few days... and it's been over a week... something funny is going on. I may have to abandon the old publishing cycle, and publish the book again, to solve the problem.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
It depends. Most of my freebies have gone back to full price within two weeks.

Hexes and Tooth Decay, however, got picked up as a freebie by Kobo Books and went on a second freebie cycle. Rather annoying, since the book was selling about 5 copies per day at the time. It's still free, and I have no idea when (or if) Kobo will put the price back.

(I hope the two sites aren't price-matching each other. Otherwise I could be out of income from that story for a long while.)
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Maybe it's because you are reporting it yourself? Or maybe they just don't discount on things that are only on Smashwords.
My impression has been that Amazon will price-match Barnes & Noble, but not Smashwords. Additionally, Amazon.co.uk will NOT match B&N, but WILL match Kobo.

I also suspect there's a real live person in the mix somewhere, looking at cover art and making sure there aren't too many freebies in any given category at a time -- but I have no evidence of that.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
My impression has been that Amazon will price-match Barnes & Noble, but not Smashwords. Additionally, Amazon.co.uk will NOT match B&N, but WILL match Kobo.
B&N's PubIt! store won't let you designate a book as free... so Amazon can't be getting its price references for free books from B&N. (B&N also has no formal mechanism for alerting them to a lower price.)

Amazon also wouldn't take price cues from my site. It's like they locked my book down from further changes of any kind. That's why I unpublished it, pending a way to make changes. I'll probably try to make changes while unpublished, and see if republishing it "frees up" the changes.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
B&N's PubIt! store won't let you designate a book as free... so Amazon can't be getting its price references for free books from B&N.
My typical approach to getting a book free on Amazon goes like this:

1) Make book free on Smashwords. Submit it for premium distribution to B&N and other outlets.

2) Wait 1-2 weeks for Smashwords to send B&N the latest update. B&N then makes the book free.

3) Wait 1-2 more weeks for Amazon's web crawlers to notice the free book on B&N.

4) Book goes free on Amazon.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

I'm guessing that B&N is price-matching Smashwords, although I can't say for sure. All I know is that the approach works.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My typical approach to getting a book free on Amazon goes like this:

1) Make book free on Smashwords. Submit it for premium distribution to B&N and other outlets.

2) Wait 1-2 weeks for Smashwords to send B&N the latest update. B&N then makes the book free.

3) Wait 1-2 more weeks for Amazon's web crawlers to notice the free book on B&N.

4) Book goes free on Amazon.
Well... long and drawn-out, but it's a method I haven't tried...
Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
I'm guessing that B&N is price-matching Smashwords, although I can't say for sure. All I know is that the approach works.
B&N honors what ever price you set in Smashwords when Smashwords ships it to them.