Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Screen crash. Damn

Now there is a new user with a totally crashed screen.

I just took the iLiad out of its bag and what do I see? looks like a window where a car has driven over...

I could cry. This is too hard. It has happend in the official iRex bag.

Shit. Damn.

Sorry. Had to write this.

Olivier
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Ow! I feel for you.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I´m sorry for you.
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
That sucks big time. I just broke my CyBook screen. I can feel your pain.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks for your compassion.

Now I want a case for the iLiad where a Brontosaurus can stand on. Do you know anything like this?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Hey, Gogolo. I'm sorry for you. A nightmare came true. What a bad beat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo
It has happend in the official iRex bag.
So it's a official "not secure" iRex bag.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

This makes me very angry, because I know what iRex will say: This is not covered by warranty...

You like to see scary things? Well, look at this picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0228.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	10901  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Oh no! There is no way to ignore the damage.
Without investing 2xx € you can't use your iLiad anymore.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
So it's a official "not secure" iRex bag.
Just because it has a good front plate, doesnt mean you are absolutely safe with it. A strong bump to a corner can still cause to break the screen. My Cybook dropped in its protective cover and it looks almost like Gogolos iLiad.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Lazycat
Enthusiast
Lazycat began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
It's too bad!

Have you reached iRex's customer service? I think you should ask for a replacement.
Lazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Gogolo
Addict

Repair box is on the way.

But I suppose I will have to pay badly for this...

If only they would build a vizplex in.

Greetings
Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac

If vizplex would have an advantage over the eink used in the iLiad, i would agree, but i have seen quite a few iLiads next to quite a few vizplex screens, and the iLiad is sharper, the black is blacker. Just the screen refresh rate is slower.

So i hope for an improved device with the next gen flexible display. Those do not need a glas layer for eink anymore. Although the wacom might need one still.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course, we hear of more horrific accidents and the device screen comes out fine. It's not fair really. So are you going to speak with iRex and see what they can do for you?

Tribble, what are you going to do?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I feel pain for the original poster, but from the state of the screen you can see that it's had a hell of a bump from something! That couldn't happen spontaneously - could it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Tribble, what are you going to do?
Uhm, what should i do? I dont really understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I feel pain for the original poster, but from the state of the screen you can see that it's had a hell of a bump from something! That couldn't happen spontaneously - could it?
I agree that this is very unlikely to happen by just lying around. What i have seen is that a device gets a bump and looks fine, because the crack in the glass layer is only minimal. Unfortunately by normal handling this crack then grows and results in large screendamage. E.g. from a tiny crack you can barely see to a larger one, can be done by a temperature change alone. That way it seems like it has just appeared.

If things like this would happen spontaneously, it would be very bad. As i said, of all the devices we sold, only 1 had screen damage. And not spontaneously. I can not rule out, that it actually happens to someone, but it is definately not a general problem with the iLiad. And i dont handle my iLiad like a raw egg all the time. But i didnt drop it yet like my CyBook either