Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
jomaweb
Connoisseur
jomaweb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
STARTUP TIME, WORKING TIME

Hi

My calibre takes more than 3 minutes to start. I know my library is big (10.000 books) but my pc is not bad (Core2duo 4 GB Ram), however every operation on my library is sloooooow

how can i speed up things?

thanks in advance
jomaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is only slightly slower than My Hyper-threaded P4-3.2G 1.5G RAM with 700 books

Calibre is not normally RAM hungry.

<canceled section>
6.40 Popped the Tray Icon in 20 seconds and populated the main window in another 15 seconds. (somthing got optimized )

Last edited by theducks; 02-13-2010 at 11:53 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
On my 2.4GHS Core 2/Quad (Q6600) w/ 6GB ram, Win 64bit.... I've got a fair # of of items - and it' takes 3-10 seconds / book when adding a new item now.

I don't usually see a ram problem, but I will see 8-9 concurrent processes in the background when it's updating author names etc (in bulk), and all the CPU usage goes up quite a bit.

I do get frustrated when I try to update a tag, or a series name, or a title - and it takes 3-10 seconds for the cursor to become visible in the box chosen (I type ahead now, finding I can type blindly in 3-4 boxes before I see the change in the first one)...

Any suggestions on how to speed this baby up?

I'm wondering if moving toward a non-relational database is appropriate (though my knowledge of those is minimal)...XML-based? etc?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote