Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
antwone
antwone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition
Is it worth to upgrade from 900 to 950

Pearl screen looks really nice... thinking about selling my 900 and get a new 950, is anybody doing the same thing?
antwone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
screaminglemon
screaminglemon doesn't litterscreaminglemon doesn't litter

Device: Sony prs-900, prs-950, Nook Touch GL, Kindle Paperwhite
I did just that. I was also worried that it wouldnt be worth it to upgrade until i had them both in hand and was able to directly compare the two. Let me tell you, it is VERY worth the upgrade. the two screens are like night and day and the new touchscreen is actually more responsive and easier to use. and the zoom lock for pdfs is by itself worth the cost although i dont see why sony couldnt have upgraded the firmware in the 900 to include that feature. oh well. i have no regrets about upgrading to the 950.
screaminglemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Though I sold my 900 and haven't purchased a new Sony (yet), I say it's definitely worth upgrading. If the NOOKcolor didn't arrive on the scene as the same time as the 950 (at the same price depending upon when purchased) I would have bought one. The weight of the 950, or lack thereof, is another plus when compared to the 900.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
I can only compare 950 to 600 and it's like night and day indeed. It's not only that it has better screen (I'd tip for 10-20% higher contrast (I know amazon claims it's much more, but my eyes do not agree) compared to 300s, which is much much better than 600) but also removed touchscreen layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminglemon View Post
...and the zoom lock for pdfs is by itself worth the cost...
I agree that 950 is a nice reader, but this particular feature puzzles me. Pressing "next" jumps to the next page, instead of the next part of the page and this renders "zoom lock" useless to me.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
antwone
antwone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition
Quote:
I did just that. I was also worried that it wouldnt be worth it to upgrade until i had them both in hand and was able to directly compare the two. Let me tell you, it is VERY worth the upgrade. the two screens are like night and day and the new touchscreen is actually more responsive and easier to use. and the zoom lock for pdfs is by itself worth the cost although i dont see why sony couldnt have upgraded the firmware in the 900 to include that feature. oh well. i have no regrets about upgrading to the 950.
hmm... I just bought my 900 6 months, mobile reader market changing so fast, almost cannot afford the upgrade
antwone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwone View Post
hmm... I just bought my 900 6 months, mobile reader market changing so fast, almost cannot afford the upgrade
I understand where you're coming from. I paid $400 for mine in January and sold it a couple of weeks ago for $90. Can't compete with the price of the new eReaders.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
screaminglemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I agree that 950 is a nice reader, but this particular feature puzzles me. Pressing "next" jumps to the next page, instead of the next part of the page and this renders "zoom lock" useless to me.
i have several books in pdf format where the default view is too small, but if i crop the image by zooming in, it becomes readable. basically just removing oversized margins. i agree this would be more useful for more situations if there was an option to jump to the next part instead of the next page.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
screaminglemon did an excellent job of summing up my thoughts too. Lots of people have upgraded their 900 to the 950. I also like the speediness of Wi-fi compared to 3G, wikipedia integration and the improved multi-column view mode for PDF's.

However, if you like your 900 and you don't really need any of the improved features, then maybe it would be better to wait a few months until the price drops more if you don't want to part with your money now. Your profile doesn't say where you are located. In the US, Sony has a trade-in program going through the end of the year. You can get a $75 discount if you swap your 900 for the 950.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I did the same and those are my thoughts as well. Worth the upgrade, if nothing else for the better contrast (the background is brighter and the characters are darker).

But there is one thing that I liked on the 900 better, and that is the feel of the stylus. That additional touchscreen made the stylus 'glide' better on the page.

Otherwise, the device is much lighter, wifi and browser are nice additions (but I don't use them... I have an iPad and I like that better for web browsing...), the touchscreen has a much better response time... one unexpected improvement is the cover with light - which is much, much better for the 950 (brighter light).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think it's worth the upgrade just for the new screen.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
It was worth it for me for the reasons given above. I still use my 900 around work because it looks more professional in my opinion...and I paid $400 dollars for it not all that long ago!!!
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
screaminglemon

the only thing that really bothers me about the 950 is that the stylus rattles when stowed in it's silo. The 900 never did that, but it's not a huge gripe.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have neither 900 nor 950.
However, if the difference in screen quality is as big as between 600 vs 650, then Triple Yes.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I have neither 900 nor 950.
However, if the difference in screen quality is as big as between 600 vs 650, then Triple Yes.
The 900 screen was slightly better than the 600. It had the same glare issues, but Sony made the contrast darker so the text was more legible.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

I had a 900 for quite a while. The screen was pretty hard on my eyes and I would get headaches if I read too long and/or I would have trouble focusing my eyes on the TV afterwards. So I finally got rid of it. I have the 950 now and it is a dream. No eyestrain or headaches. The only downsides compared to the 900 are that the 950 isn't built as well as the 900, and the infrared touch sensor causes the screen to be recessed into the case so far that reading outside in sunlight causes some significant shadows to be cast. But that can be overcome by changing positions. The 950 is definitely my all time favorite eInk reader. I do wish Sony would rethink ePub landscape mode and treat it the same way Amazon does on the Kindles, but the 900 has that issue too.