Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Bookmarks and Multiple Devices - How Does it Work???

Hi - I'd like to hear from anyone that may have more than one Kobo device. I am having trouble with my bookmarks updating between my Vox and my Kobo WiFi. No one on the Vox forum seems to know the answer to this, so I am hoping to get an answer here before checking with support.

I was to understand that if I read on one device, all I had to do was turn on WiFi to ensure that the book in my 'account' had the most updated bookmark - then when I read on the second device, turn on WiFi - the most recent bookmark would be applied to the book on that device from my 'account'.

So, in a real-life scenario:

1. I read the first three chapters of a book on my Vox. I update my library and it gives me a message that my library is synched and my bookmarks are updated.

2. I turn on my Kobo Wi-Fi, turn on wireless and update library. I get a message that my library is synched and my bookmarks are updated.

So, I expect to open that same book on my Kobo Wi-Fi and be at Chapter 4 - BUT....on my Kobo Wi-Fi, the book still goes to the beginning (the bookmark that was supposedly updated from my Vox to my account is not updating to my WiFi).

Some people were saying that synching must be done via the desktop (with the device connected to your PC) and cannot be done wirelessly. I can't see how this would make a difference.

Can ANYONE explain how this works PLEASE!!!!!???? Does bookmark synching only go 'one way' (from device to desktop) or does it go 'both ways' (where is establishes the 'latest' bookmark and downloads this to any device that may have an 'earlier' (or NO) bookmark????
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It works only for books purchased from Kobo, not for sideloaded books.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
I cannot speak to Touch <> Vox <> Desktop, not my real area of knowledge. However I can speak to how iOS <> Desktop <> Touch works, which one would like to think working on the same principle.

I have a Touch, and iPhone, iPad and the Desktop software.
If I go into a book on iPad and turn to a new page in a new chapter and exit the book (return to Library / Home, or suspend the app via the home button on the device, or fully quit the application) then what we term as a cloud bookmark request is sent to our servers. This request contains the location of bookmark.

If that fails for any reason the new bookmark will not be sent to the server, however, if you open the book on the iPad, you would still be on the correct page of that book as it stores the location locally as well. If you were to go to any other device, say a touch or iPhone then you won't be on the "correct" page.

I read mainly on my Touch and if I am in range of a wireless network and hit the sync option it will attempt to sync the bookmark up to the server. If it is successful then when I refresh the library on my iPhone, iPad it will obtain the new bookmark and when I open the book I will be on the correct page.

Bottom line, the cloud bookmark should be going both ways.

One other thing, there are what we call "Dog-ears", which are created if you tap the top right corner of a page. If you are using Touch and Desktop then I believe these dog-ears are synced. However, at present, the other platforms do not sync dog-ears. My point being that if you are talking about dog-ears instead of a cloud bookmark then this could explain why they are not being synced.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I cannot speak to Touch <> Vox <> Desktop, not my real area of knowledge. However I can speak to how iOS <> Desktop <> Touch works, which one would like to think working on the same principle.

I have a Touch, and iPhone, iPad and the Desktop software.
If I go into a book on iPad and turn to a new page in a new chapter and exit the book (return to Library / Home, or suspend the app via the home button on the device, or fully quit the application) then what we term as a cloud bookmark request is sent to our servers. This request contains the location of bookmark.

If that fails for any reason the new bookmark will not be sent to the server, however, if you open the book on the iPad, you would still be on the correct page of that book as it stores the location locally as well. If you were to go to any other device, say a touch or iPhone then you won't be on the "correct" page.

I read mainly on my Touch and if I am in range of a wireless network and hit the sync option it will attempt to sync the bookmark up to the server. If it is successful then when I refresh the library on my iPhone, iPad it will obtain the new bookmark and when I open the book I will be on the correct page.

Bottom line, the cloud bookmark should be going both ways.

One other thing, there are what we call "Dog-ears", which are created if you tap the top right corner of a page. If you are using Touch and Desktop then I believe these dog-ears are synced. However, at present, the other platforms do not sync dog-ears. My point being that if you are talking about dog-ears instead of a cloud bookmark then this could explain why they are not being synced.
Thanks - this is EXACTLY how I expect the Kobo bookmarking via multiple devices to work with their ePubs. Except it's NOT! And I cannot find ANYTHING documented that talks about how to share bookmarks amongst multiple devices. (We can't do dog-ears on Kobo devices - at least not to my knowledge - LOL!).

I get all the messages saying 'library synched' and 'bookmarks updated', but something tells me that the synch is not working properly for the Vox, maybe? I haven't tried between my two WiFis, since I've got one loaned out at the moment, but I was hoping that someone with more than one Kobo device can confirm if this is bugged somehow or if maybe I am missing something?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Touch does have dog-ears but since you're using the Kobo Wifi that's why you don't have the option. Does the older Wifi actually support cross platform syncing or did only come along with the Touch?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Thanks - this is EXACTLY how I expect the Kobo bookmarking via multiple devices to work with their ePubs. Except it's NOT! And I cannot find ANYTHING documented that talks about how to share bookmarks amongst multiple devices. (We can't do dog-ears on Kobo devices - at least not to my knowledge - LOL!).

I get all the messages saying 'library synched' and 'bookmarks updated', but something tells me that the synch is not working properly for the Vox, maybe? I haven't tried between my two WiFis, since I've got one loaned out at the moment, but I was hoping that someone with more than one Kobo device can confirm if this is bugged somehow or if maybe I am missing something?
I've never had the bookmarking work properly, I thought that it might be because I changed my email address.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Do you have Kobo Desktop software installed ?

If so, does this go to the correct location after updating library on you Vox?
Does this go to the right location after syncing with your WiFi ?

Should be able to see which device is not sending the info to the server

I have used a Vox, iOS App and Desktop App and the syncing is working fine, sometimes there is a delay and it is not immediate

Try this

Read something on your Vox
Sync the library
Wait 5 mins
Try Desktop App and Kobo WiFi to see what happens

Just to confirm though, we are talking about Kobo ePubs bought from their store, not sideloaded books or adobe drm books downloaded from store
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post

If you have network connectivity on your device and you close a book you are reading, it should automatically send up the cloud bookmark request. I believe Touch (not sure about Original and WiFi - I don't have them to hand at the moment) will also send up the request when you sleep the device. In other words you, as a user, should not need to manually do anything.

I checked dog-ears, it seems desktop app doesn't do them, but Touch does (latest firmware). iOS doesn't support dog-ear sync at present (hopefully in the future) but it does allow you to make dog-ears, though I'll admit with multiple devices it is not much use unless they are synced.

I would be shocked if Vox didn't sync bookmarks, but perhaps there is some kind of issue there.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote