Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
Aarony
Aarony began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 "Special offers" edition Screensaver hack help

Just got my Kindle 3 in the mail. Applied the latest 0.7 jailbreak, followed by the 0.22 screensaver hack 'successfully' without bricking the device, but the hacks are not taking effect on the Kindle 3.2 "Special offers" edition version.

Ads are still showing on the bottom of the home menu, and all screensaver cycles.

Appreciate help!
Aarony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You've bought it at a discount in exchange for displaying ads, haven't you? Aren't you trying to cheat the system in now trying to get rid of the ads?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
This is probably why Amazon is only selling it for $25 less....
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You're apparently the guinea pig for the screensavers hack on 3.2. Everyone will appreciate the results of your experiment.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
metr0man
metr0man is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi
Wondering the same thing. I got mine as a gift by someone who didn't know the diff between wifi versions. I'm ok with the home screen ad banner but the screensaver is hard to take.

SS hack didn't work at all...
metr0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I got "rid" of the screensavers on my KSO without a hack. Here's how:
  1. when done reading, close cover
  2. slide power switch off
  3. when ready to read, slide power switch on
  4. open cover and start reading where you left off
At no point in this process are the screensavers visible to you. Enjoy
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metr0man View Post
Wondering the same thing. I got mine as a gift by someone who didn't know the diff between wifi versions. I'm ok with the home screen ad banner but the screensaver is hard to take.

SS hack didn't work at all...
Could you not ask the person who was kind enough to get it for you to return it, and pay them the $25 extra for the normal Kindle? You have 30 days in which to return it.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I got "rid" of the screensavers on my KSO without a hack. Here's how:
  1. when done reading, close cover
  2. slide power switch off
  3. when ready to read, slide power switch on
  4. open cover and start reading where you left off
At no point in this process are the screensavers visible to you. Enjoy
Excellent solution
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
metr0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you not ask the person who was kind enough to get it for you to return it, and pay them the $25 extra for the normal Kindle? You have 30 days in which to return it.
I don't want to seem ungrateful. I think it would be awkward. Plus it's opened and used, I think Best Buy only will take back opened hardware if its defective. I don't know, I might stick with it (I hear there's an "1 mp3 album for $1" offer floating around that might show up at some point,), or just sell it on craigslist for a slight discount and get the wi-fi or maybe just go ahead and go 3G) then.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
You've bought it at a discount in exchange for displaying ads, haven't you? Aren't you trying to cheat the system in now trying to get rid of the ads?
Are you being funny?

Ads are poisonous to the mind, it is everyone's natural right to disable them.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Are you being funny?

Not if you've taken the conscious decision to accept ads in exchange for the lower price. That's a contract that you've entered into willingly and freely.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #12
luckily7
luckily7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Will the font hack work? I dont mind seeing ads in screen but I do need change the fonts. I ordered the KSO and am waiting for it. I wonder anyone tried the fonts hack.
luckily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Not if you've taken the conscious decision to accept ads in exchange for the lower price. That's a contract that you've entered into willingly and freely.
Have to agree with HarryT on this one. A discount was accepted on the product with the understanding that it will show ads. If it is okay to circumvent this contract, then is it okay for Amazon to place ads on non-discounted Kindles?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Are you being funny?

I'm no fan of ads, but I agree with Harry's position in this case. The proper way to disable ads on this model is to purchase the ad-free model for $25 more.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
metr0man

If anyone cares I have figured out how to replace the ad screensavers. At least temporarily. It's also a cumbersome manual process.

However, since I saw a special offer today that I liked and took advantage of (10 dollars off 20 dollar amazon gift card) i've made the decision to keep the ads. If i'm actually going to use this system I shouldn't circumvent it.

That's purely an ethical choice though. I'm a firm believer in the whole "you buy it you own it" principle of hardware. If you buy a piece of hardware you should be free to do whatever you want with it PERIOD as long as you're not breaking any laws. The ads are just GIF files sitting there on your hardware. It's your hardware, you should be able to mess with GIF files on your own hardware. It's your device. Just like a PC, or iPhone.

Of course if you break Amazon's TOS (not a law btw, and applies only to their 'service', not the hardware itself) they also have the right to, say, block you from their online Kindle store, you may own your hardware but you don't own the Kindle Store, I believe that as well. Those are the conditions they set down when giving you access to their online store.

I also have no idea what happens when wi-fi is on, and Amazon makes the decision to update the ads in the future. There must be some connection or mechanism for "switching on" certain ads (like aforementioned gift card ad which just appeared today despite sitting on the Kindle since day one). Will they detect that you've tinkered with the ads, and do something? I have no clue.

So the faint of heart or overly anxious should probably not try it.

Purely on research front, I tested it out by replacing an Oil of Olay ad with one of my own and it worked (I've since put the Olay ad back in it's original place). Long story short, you enable viewing hidden files in your Folder View options (PC), go into the system folder on your kindle and in an assets subfolders are number-string folders, each ad has it's own folder with GIF assets. It's literally just an image replace.

It's cumbersome because you would have to replace each one individually. Putting aside the ethical thoughts elaborated on above, it's just way too much effort for me. Curious that it's so publicly available and easily accessible. It's definitely a risk tinkering with them since Amazon could do any number of things if they found out.

Last edited by metr0man; 05-01-2011 at 02:12 PM.