Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #106
Marauder
Marauder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
With iPhone 4 coming out today, I'm going to be busy!
iPhone 4...

USB\VID_05AC&PID_1297&REV_0001
USB\VID_05AC&PID_1297&REV_0001&MI_00
Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #107
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
iPhone 4...

USB\VID_05AC&PID_1297&REV_0001
USB\VID_05AC&PID_1297&REV_0001&MI_00
Thanks, the iPhone 4 is added to the 0.7.5 release.

G
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #108
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a quick summary of the iDevice-related improvements in 0.7.5, now available for download:

New in 0.7.5
  • PDF support. PDFs uploads to iTunes/iBooks is now supported.
  • iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, iPod Touch 2G, 3G added as supported devices. I don't have the hardware to test these devices, but they should just work. Like that ever happens.
  • Added a user preference to use Series name instead of tag as the Category in iTunes/iBooks. Click Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins|Apple device interface, then click Customize plugin to specify.
  • iBooks 1.1 enables the dictionary only if an epub's <dc:language> metadata value matches your iDevice's native language. Calibre dynamically updates <dc:language> to match your interface language as specified in Preferences|General|Choose language when sending epubs to iTunes/iBooks.
  • If you have both epub and PDF versions of a book in calibre, you can specify which version to upload. Click Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins|Apple device interface, then click Customize plugin. Adjust your preferred order of formats to upload. The first matching format in the list will be uploaded. If you want to send a specific format, use Send to device↓Send specific format.
  • Periodical content downloaded via calibre recipes is now optimized for iPad touchscreen. See 'iPad + Recipes: New optimizations in 0.7.5' for details.
  • New feature 'Connect to iTunes' in Send to device menu. Start calibre without an attached iDevice, select Send to device↓Connect to iTunes. Calibre will upload books to iTunes without syncing to your iDevice. You sync iTunes with your iDevice whenever/however you choose. This is an experimental feature in 0.7.5.

See the first post in this thread for an revised overview of using calibre with iDevices.

G
Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #109
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Here's a quick summary of the iDevice-related improvements in 0.7.5, now available for download:

New in 0.7.5
  • New feature 'Connect to iTunes' in Send to device menu. Start calibre without an attached iDevice, select Send to device↓Connect to iTunes. Calibre will upload books to iTunes without syncing to your iDevice. You sync iTunes with your iDevice whenever/however you choose. This is an experimental feature in 0.7.5.
Thanks for all the the improvements, but especially for this. It will be great to only do one sync after loading all my books.

Should it be showing audiobooks, though?

Last edited by tlrowley; 06-25-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #110
chrisix
Enthusiast
chrisix began at the beginning.

0.7.5 start does abort with this error?

Python function terminated unexpectedly
cannot import name ITUNES_ASYNC (Error Code:1)

chris
Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #111
GRiker

You need to remove the modified driver.py that you patched from
Code:
Program Files/Calibre2/Lib/site-packages/calibre/src/devices/apple
If you still have the problem, uninstall, delete the Calibre2 directory, reinstall.

It's a side-effect of doing a manual driver patch under Windows in the previous version.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-26-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #112
chrisix
Enthusiast
chrisix began at the beginning.

Quote:
You need to remove the modified driver.py that you patched from
Code:
Program Files/Calibre2/Lib/site-packages/calibre/src/devices/apple
If you still have the problem, uninstall, delete the Calibre2 directory, reinstall.

It's a side-effect of doing a manual driver patch under Windows.

G
just deleted the .py, thx
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #113
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Thanks for the update!

So, the easiest thing to do to update my library is to:
1) Select all
2) (Re-)Convert to ePub
3) (Re-)Send to Device
And all the books in iTunes will be updated? Or should I delete all the books from iTunes first, before sending them?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #114
GRiker

Is this in reference to the dictionary working in iBooks? If so, you only need to resend them, not reconvert. I'd suggest deleting them in iTunes, syncing the iPad, then re-sending from calibre.

G
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #115
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Is this in reference to the dictionary working in iBooks? If so, you only need to resend them, not reconvert. I'd suggest deleting them in iTunes, syncing the iPad, then re-sending from calibre.

G
It is, thanks! I'll give that a try!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #116
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I am trying to send to my iphone from calibre. Calibre can see it and tells me there are 4.7gb available, but I get:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147024809), None)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 65, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 308, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 881, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 2198, in _remove_existing_copy
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 2283, in _remove_from_iTunes
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1586, in _find_library_book
File "<COMObject <unknown>>", line 3, in Search
com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147024809), None)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by foghat; 06-26-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #117
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I am trying to send to my iphone from calibre. Calibre can see it and tells me there are 4.7gb available, but I get:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147024809), None)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 65, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 308, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 881, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 2198, in _remove_existing_copy
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 2283, in _remove_from_iTunes
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1586, in _find_library_book
File "<COMObject <unknown>>", line 3, in Search
com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147024809), None)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Do you have iBooks installed on the iPhone? If not, install it and try again.

If iBooks is installed, try running in 'Connect to iTunes' mode as described in the first post in this thread.

G
Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #118
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
First off, thank you for all of the work! Every step forward has been great!

In fact so great, that I decided to delete what I had done manually and start fresh by importing everything again onto my iPad. I have gotten all of the ebooks deleted out of iTunes and off the device (the only one remaining on my iPad is Pooh). I have then connected the device and it when it is detected by calibre, it is showing as books on the device all of the audiobooks installed. I have both digital and audio copies of many of my books; some of which have the same name and author, others have part numbers or series included in the title. The ones that are the same, appear with the "on device" or "in library" box checked. This doesn't seem right and concerns me. I am not sure whether this has been the case before the latest version or not as I installed 0.7.5 this morning. And likely wouldn't have noticed a few audiobooks in the midst of hundreds of ebooks.

I am also having difficulty in sending books to the device, but am going through it again step by step to see if I have something set wrong or made a mistake.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #119
GRiker

@kathyfitz, The driver ignores one type of audiobook, but you may have a different type, so this is a new condition to deal with. Please create a ticket describing the problem, and attach a debug trace (see instructions in the first post) so I can see the file types for the audio books.

I'm assuming that you'd prefer to have calibre ignore audio books?

Also, you might try using the 'Connect to iTunes' method to see if that works better for you.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-27-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #120
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Quote:
@kathyfitz, The driver ignores one type of audiobook, but you may have a different type, so this is a new condition to deal with. Please create a ticket describing the problem, and attach a debug trace (see instructions in the first post) so I can see the file types for the audio books.

I'm assuming that you'd prefer to have calibre ignore audio books?

Also, you might try using the 'Connect to iTunes' method to see if that works better for you.

G
OK, I will try to do that. I'm not very quick about these things, but I should be able to figure that out.

As far as calibre ignoring the audiobooks, unless calibre is where I was managing the audiobooks (which could possibly be awesome!) I think would prefer calibre ignore them.

I have tried uploading both ways, but got errors and only a handful of books transferred. I will let you know if I still have problems. Would you recommend a limit of books to transfer at a time?
Closed Thread