Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Moto demoes Android-powered E Ink display

Over at Engadget you can have a look at the "Android-powered E-Ink display" proof of concept by MOTO Development Group (originally from here).

Quote:
The cats at the MOTO Development Group have written a custom driver to create what they claim is the first instance of Android running on an E-Ink display. Unfortunately, there's plenty of that annoying white / black E-Ink flicker as the display refreshes.
Still a long way to go ...

Related: Znet suggests Kindroid (Android on Kindle)
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Android is a very promising technology. I'd love to see it used in a commercially available e-ink gadget.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See also Android on E-Ink, which is Android running directly on the AM300 prototyping kit. This gives direct access to the Epson controler, but the kit does not come with much memory or with a powerful processor.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
jayakumar
jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: E-Ink
Hi there. I saw the Moto labs video on vimeo day before yesterday and tried contacting them to see if they were interested in collaborating. I tried leaving a comment on their blog site but it looks like they've deleted the link to my video and my article when I checked just now. No idea why. Their architecture is odd in the sense that you've got an OMAP cpu on the beagle running android but then the xscale cpu with 64MB of ram on the E-Ink kit doing nothing! but receiving image files over USB? Odd implementation that may not really be viable methinks. I think the broadsheetfb architecture which I've been pushing is much simpler. Just a typical framebuffer driver. No USB, no external host needed. Just run it on the kit itself. So you don't need 2 CPUs to run Android. One cpu, one display, one touchscreen is enough! Yeah, the xscale is a wee slugish but as you can see from the video of android on e-ink and fennec on e-ink that Wallcraft linked to (thx btw), it does the job fine for most circumstances. A bit more time and optimization work (which I'm doing on my weekends) and we should be good to go. :-)
jayakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
jayakumar
jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

i forgot to mention, it is odd that the Moto guy in the video blames the flashing on the E-Ink display itself. That's a driver issue and not a hardware issue. You'll notice in my videos, I've got flashing down to quite a minimum, for example, this one where I draw on the kit, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mLKQXcsgY , there is little to no flashing at all.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
it is odd that the Moto guy in the video blames the flashing on the E-Ink display itself. That's a driver issue and not a hardware issue.
Yes, that's what I thought. (But what do I know - not being a developer myself )

Really fine job you did there, jayakumar.
Looking forward to hear more from you
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumar View Post
i forgot to mention, it is odd that the Moto guy in the video blames the flashing on the E-Ink display itself. That's a driver issue and not a hardware issue. You'll notice in my videos, I've got flashing down to quite a minimum, for example, this one where I draw on the kit, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mLKQXcsgY , there is little to no flashing at all.
Impressive demo. I've seen the SONY 700 updated without having to flash the screen. What I like about your deom is the fact that you've got a touchscreen that repaints fairly well.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I did not know that demoeing is the hip thing to do. I just spent money to have my reader moooed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cow.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	23478  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
mikea
mikea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumar View Post
I tried leaving a comment on their blog site but it looks like they've deleted the link to my video and my article when I checked just now. No idea why.
Hey Jaya ... please don't think we've deleted your post, honestly! We actually just had a few logistical issues - turns out our CMS required someone to approve the comment before it get's posted. Anyhow, now that we know we have to approve comments, we are!

You're absolutely right in most of your comments, it's just a proof of concept. In fact, we considered porting Android to Gumstix (we're glad we didn't since you are already there with it!) but we chose the BeagleBoard path simply because it's a more up-to-date development environment and is more capable than the PXA device on the Gumstix. One of our interests here is exposing E-Ink to creative developers - people that are more apt to programming in Java rather than C.

The driver is definitely not optimized by any means. But just to clarify, the flashing is needed in every scenario that I've seen in which quality grayscale is required - otherwise you'll get ghosting (many of you have probably seen this before). Going black-to-white can be more responsive, as you've shown.

BTW I really like the eyes in your last video there ;-)
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
jayakumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
Hey Jaya ... please don't think we've deleted your post, honestly! We actually just had a few logistical issues - turns out our CMS required someone to approve the comment before it get's posted. Anyhow, now that we know we have to approve comments, we are!
Ah, whew! Ok, that is good to hear. I was feeling a bit hurt about that. But I'm okay now. Glad to hear from you and nice to meet you. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
But just to clarify, the flashing is needed in every scenario that I've seen in which quality grayscale is required - otherwise you'll get ghosting (many of you have probably seen this before). Going black-to-white can be more responsive, as you've shown.
BTW I really like the eyes in your last video there ;-)
Thanks. Yes, I agree but only partially. Flashing is required to get rid of buildup, fully agreed. But I believe quality grayscale is achievable without flashing as I show in this Fennec on E-Ink video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4WBdagDgSg ) The driver and/or the frontend application can both make a runtime determination whether to use a full flashing update mode or a non-flashing mode. In the demos that I've been doing, I've found that buildup is minimal, so a full flash after every 200 iterations of activity (would be better if I was doing flash based on every 200 iterations of significant content change) is sufficient to achieve good 16-level grayscale.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Question: Is it possible to only flash only the parts of the display that have actually changed?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I did not know that demoeing is the hip thing to do. I just spent money to have my reader moooed.
These trends go in circles, much like haggis. You'll be hip again soon
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
jayakumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Question: Is it possible to only flash only the parts of the display that have actually changed?
Certainly. Partial update with and without flashing is supported by the hardware and the broadsheetfb driver as well.