Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #376
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The most obvious reason being that tagging allows the same book to appear on multiple Shelves, but a folder system doesn't (unless you duplicate, of course).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #377
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or add symbolic links :P

/me runs and hides
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #378
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Different strokes for different folks. I don't have the need at all to have the same book in multiple folders/collections. And if perchance I do, I may copy/paste it indeed. Takes less time than putting tags on it I guess. And not that it takes a lot of space either. To each his own I got used to folders when I bought Cybook back in 2010 and it's fine by me.

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 10-27-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #379
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Or add symbolic links :P

/me runs and hides
That's not silly. It works well.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #380
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Bookripper; maybe you had to buy it sight unseen, but I think that if you had take time to research more fully, even by reading posts here, you woiuld have seen that, for what you wanted, the Kobo series of readers was not at all applicable.
If you go to the kobo website, they are clearly bragging about 1000 books on the internal memory and 32.000 books on the sd card. in reality, you cant even organize 5% of that amount on this piece of cr@p... (sorry but I really feel this way about the Glo). Their own vendors dont even know how the kobo works, so how should I?? And its not like there are many topics regarding my issues here.
they also advertise themselves as the kind of company that allows total freedom with whatever you do on their device. they are clearly lying and I got the proof for it.

I bought the kobo through a vendor, so i contacted the vendor with some questions, who in his turn contacted kobo (because, of course, he didnt knew anything about the working of the device). Kobo, by accident, also sent ME a copy of the reply to the vendor. here is where the truth gets out:
I quote: " Dear H...This type of customer is not our type of customer. we can fix most problems with books bought in the kobo store, but the device is not meant to hold 2000+ books. If the client is persistent you could offer him a refund to be rid of him, he probably wont be buying any books from us anyway. Regards, M... "

so I just spent 130 euros on a kindle in disguise... I'm not even a "real customer"!! sure, 130 euros is lunch money....
Needless to say I replied Kobo with lots of passion
Anyway, I returned it, its gone. I wont be missing it. It froze, the lettering wasnt black enough, my zoom didnt work, pdf reading was terrible, after 1 hour my battery was down 17% (with the wifi on) and above mentioned problems of course. please dont quote me any more, I quit following this topc. good luck with it!

Ripper
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #381
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Thanks for sharing.

I guess this means you won't need this forum any longer?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #382
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
If you go to the kobo website, they are clearly bragging about 1000 books on the internal memory and 32.000 books on the sd card. in reality, you cant even organize 5% of that amount on this piece of cr@p...
5% of 1000 books ...

I guess no one should tell my new Glo that the 518 books I just organized on it shouldn't work.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #383
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sounds to me like Bookripper is one of those technophobic people. First if you are going to count on the salesman at the store to tell you how your Kobo works you are in for a big disappointment. Those people wouldn't know a reader if it hits them in the face. A few days before the Glo was released here, I asked one of those about when exactly it would be available and after checking in his computer the guy told me that the Kobos were already there and after walking with me to the e-readers aisle he pointed me towards a Kobo TOUCH ...

As for the Memory of the Glo it truly can hold over 1000 books and much more if you use an SD card. Now there are things to keep in mind when using the external memory to store books, even I who don't use that memory, have heard about that. But I bet Bookripper must have crammed unceremoniously a whole bunch of poorly formatted, css flawed rips and mixed them with books in the internal memory, thus creating issues.

About his battery being at 17% after an hour. Dude after a week mine is at 60% But maybe you did not read the notice that says to charge it a bit the first time before using it. It's no secret that the Wifi is quite energy consuming so what business did he have to leave it on permanently ? Once your reader is updated and you have checked whatever books you needed at the online bookstore you turn-off the Wifi, obviously.

As for the PDF's how are they not working ? they work fine, granted I did not test those much as PDF's are not what I need in a reader but for me it went well.

So I guess the bottom line is: Sure there can be issues with technology and in some cases bad ones but some people seem to attract them by mistreating or manhandling their devices. Like when you are done charging your reader you must disconnect your reader from the computer before actually unplugging it. If you don't then don't complain if someday there can be damaged files.

Last edited by Quexos; 10-27-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #384
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
So I want to know how the screen is holding up, or rather how the diffusion layer is holding up. Does it seem more durable than the Nook GlowLight?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #385
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I guess this means you won't need this forum any longer?
Why should Bookripper's insistence on the validity of a bad experience with the Kobo Glo compel you to imply that Bookripper is no longer welcome on this forum? Why, for that matter, should anyone who insists on the validity of their experience be called a technophobe and other names, and have their character assassinated over a disagreement about mere product assessment? The Kobo Glo can't feel the sting of what's said about it, but a human being surely can.

There's plenty of room here for divergent opinions and no one who finds themselves in a minority among the vocal should be pressured to go silent.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #386
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

His posts were far removed from "divergent opinions". People come here precisely for divergent opinions to help them decide whether or not to purchase the item. It was this forum that helped me decide to order the Glo and I am a long standing Kobo hater.

The guy was just unpleasant and responses reflect that.

Last edited by wrenn1; 10-28-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #387
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
His posts were far removed from "divergent opinions". He was antagonistic to the forum members. . . . The guy was just unpleasant and responses reflect that.
You know, I actually bothered to sift through BR's posts before posting about them. He's said annoying things about Apple users, but so have lots of others here -- I didn't notice he was especially awful about it.

But where exactly has he been antagonistic to other members? I've seen no evidence of that.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #388
wrenn1
Addict

OK. ^^^
Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #389
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As far as I'm concerned, Bookripper and most anyone else are perfectly welcome here. But there is such a thing as constructively criticizing something, whether an e-reader, a movie, a relationship or anything else, and it is another to bash it down in a totally subjective way.
He called this reader "a piece of crap". Well I tend to think this reader is worth a little more than crap. And I just pointed that out. If some can't take it then too bad for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Why should Bookripper's insistence on the validity of a bad experience with the Kobo Glo compel you to imply that Bookripper is no longer welcome on this forum? Why, for that matter, should anyone who insists on the validity of their experience be called a technophobe and other names, and have their character assassinated over a disagreement about mere product assessment? The Kobo Glo can't feel the sting of what's said about it, but a human being surely can.

There's plenty of room here for divergent opinions and no one who finds themselves in a minority among the vocal should be pressured to go silent.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #390
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
[T]here is such a thing as constructively criticizing something, whether an e-reader, a movie, a relationship or anything else, and it is another to bash it down in a totally subjective way.
He called this reader "a piece of crap". Well I tend to think this reader is worth a little more than crap. And I just pointed that out. If some can't take it then too bad for them.
What angry consumer hasn't called a purchase which they felt failed them "a piece of crap"? I didn't take that as an insult to people who were satisfied with the Glo. I took it as a familiar expression of helpless frustration.

But enough about Bookripper. Here's the part that matters most:

Wanting to put a large number of books on a device is a legitimate concern, as is wanting direct-device access to the file directory. If we were talking about a Nook, Kindle or Sony Reader, those specific concerns would be addressed by MR's and XDA's developer communities.

One of the main reasons the Sony Reader series was a near-perfect solution for many over the past few years is because the pre-Android firmware had dedicated alternative developers. Glo users could only benefit from the availability of custom hacks and firmware. But to reach a consensus of interest that could help to foster a community of developers, we would first have to acknowledge the need -- which is always the need to bypass, repair or rethink the limitations of official firmware.

I like everything about Kobo and the Kobo Glo except for (1) the software bugs, instability and limitations I've read about and (2) the complications that could arise for non-Canadian customer service until the Glo is actually made available on the Kobo site's international links.

Given the nasty non-exemptions recently leveled at Americans who jailbreak e-readers, Canada seems the perfect base for alternative e-book firmware. (Words can't express how much I've always loved that country.)

To me, the Glo seems like a glorious target for building initial interest.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-28-2012 at 10:12 AM.