Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 02-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Article: Converting a DVD for PDA Viewing

There is an excellent article by Lance Wehrung at 1src which is all about converting a DVD to be viewed on a Palm or Pocket PC. I haven't tried it myself, but it provides step-by-step screenshots of the entire process with lots of supplementary information.

The article appears to be in response to the following question
Quote:
Lance: I have been in search of the simplest and easiest way to take a DVD and make a video that is viewable on a portable device, such as a Palm OS5 device or a Pocket PC device. So far in my search, I have come across a very simple way to take a DVD and make a video that is viewable on a handheld that only requires approximately 242 MB.
All the required software is indicated and is freeware except for the MMPlayer that you can get for $14.95 for Palm. Of course the freeware authors would appreciate your support if you decide to use the software.

My current approach is to use the commercial product DVD Studio, which has a version for both Palm and PPC, and when you register you get licenses for both versions. But I've had some problems with gaps in the audio track, so I'm working with the support team to resolve. It's a great program if I can get things to work as advertised.

Give us your thoughts about any method you use to watch DVDs on your PDA.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Hmm I never heard of "FairUse Wizard LE" before, but I will give it a try after having read the review.

This part of the review is definitely wrong:
Quote:
Now, just copy the AVI file to your external memory card. I recommend using a card reader, but there are other options. For a Pocket PC device, you can do this via ActiveSync.
Did the reviewer actually try moving a 494,352 KB (from the review) file via ActiveSync? It wouldn't work. Why? Because even if you copy your files to an SD card, ActiveSync has to first copy the files to the PDA's internal RAM and then move it from there to the SD card. Now show me a PDA with 494 MB of free RAM...

There are only two options: 1) use WiFi (if your PDA has WiFi) to copy the file from a mounted Windows drive; 2) use an external card-reader (as originally recommended by the reviewer).
Old 02-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've used this method with FairUse Wizard now and I can say it's very nice. My best option so far. Don't think it will have any audio buffer and gap issues because it has a separate audio pass. The volume levels are better than the PocketDVD Studio defaults also. Still takes as long to convert, but it's easy and the audio comes out fine for me now. Funny thing... the default settings leave the subtitles. But I think I like that!

The audio was a problem for me in Pocket DVD Studio (which I already purchased before I learned that). I submitted a question to them for help and they asked me for a log and to try the latest version which was just released, but the version made no difference and I haven't heard back from them again yet after reporting the results. So I don't know if they gave up or are working on it. I discovered on some discussion boards what seems to be the reason, but to be honest, I already forgot what it was. Must have been more technical than my memory could handle! But I'd like for it to work because it's a slick interface.

Another cheaper commercial alternative is Pocket DVD. I tried a conversion, but haven't watched the resulting file yet. I asked for 225meg size, and got about 180meg. So far so good, and very simple. I think the output I'm using is DivX instead of Xvid, but BetaPlayer seems to be happy with it. Xvid is supposed to be better, but hey, if it works I'm not picky. They also have options for one pass or two passes, and the one pass did the whole conversion of a 1hr37min movie for me in about an hour, so it was quicker than the alternatives I've tried so far. We'll see what the results look like when I have time to watch it all the way through.

Also, I should point out that the article was correct about using ActiveSync (sometimes referred to as "ActiveStink!") I have Win Mobile SE, and was able to copy a 180meg file with Active Sync and did not have to use a card reader. Maybe they fixed that copy process recently, but if they are using main memory, they must only move portions into memory for the copy process. Card readers are still preferred as they are faster.

Also another method has also popped up at Palm Addicts.
Check out the following about ViritualDubMod with a VB graphical front end...
http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...ideo_conv.html
http://unlogic.no-ip.biz/umc/
I don't know anything about this one, and haven't even heard of it until today, so proceed with caution. (You never know where spyware lives.)