Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
marcus5372
marcus5372 began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
ebooks from overdrive on ipod touch? Help!

So...I've done hours of fruitless research and I'm DESPERATE for any information....

I have an ipod touch 4g (and a 3g, but not the point). Is there any way at all to download overdrive (yes, from the library) ebooks on the ipod touch 4g at this point. I know, I know, they are supposed to come out with an app but have not as of yet. I know others have managed to find a way to do it now. Can anyone help?

P.S.- I am still a novice, so step by step instructions would not be underappreciated, if you have them!

You have no idea how appreciative I will be for any info...I have been searching for soooo long! If you would rather contact me off-list (post too long?, whatever), just let me know here :-)

Thanks in advance
marcus5372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi Marcus

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to get Overdrive books onto an iphone. The app of course downloads audio books. Hopefully Overdrive will update their app soon!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only app that does Adobe DRM is Txtr, but unless they've updated it it won't work with timed Adept DRM that is used for library books.

Overdrive announced months ago that they were coming out with their own reading apps, but no one has heard anything since the initial press release.

The only way to do it right now would be to strip the DRM and use an ePub reader (like iBooks) and then delete the book when you're done with it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Cockeye
Cockeye began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
This has been discussed numerous times on here. I have emailed Overdrive and they have told me that it is up to Apple to support the timed DRM not them. As Apple are highly unlikely to do so I would suggest it is unlikely to ever happen

Which is making me consider ditching my ipad as a reader....
Cockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
marcus5372
marcus5372 began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Lokks like I'm back to using (gasp!) actual paper books!
marcus5372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
SeaReader
SeaReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, NookColor, NookClassic, iPad, Droid2
Overdrive's website has a pretty long list of compatible e-readers that can be used for library ebook downloads. Listed major exceptions include the iPad and Kindle. Presumably the iPods are in the same boat with the iPad.

I got the Nook to fill the library void and it works great. Much easier than attempting to learn all about drm removal and conversions.
SeaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Overdrive and iTouch/iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus5372 View Post
So...I've done hours of fruitless research and I'm DESPERATE for any information....

I have an ipod touch 4g (and a 3g, but not the point). Is there any way at all to download overdrive (yes, from the library) ebooks on the ipod touch 4g at this point. I know, I know, they are supposed to come out with an app but have not as of yet. I know others have managed to find a way to do it now. Can anyone help?

P.S.- I am still a novice, so step by step instructions would not be underappreciated, if you have them!

You have no idea how appreciative I will be for any info...I have been searching for soooo long! If you would rather contact me off-list (post too long?, whatever), just let me know here :-)

Thanks in advance

Yes you can get library ebooks on your iTouch or iPhone. It is not a direct application however. You will need to download the ebook first to your computer, remove the drm and then put the ebook into Calibre. Once you have done that, Calibre will work with iTunes and iBook sothat you can put the book on your iTouch or iPhone and read it. An alternative is to install the Stanza ebook app on your iTouch or iPhone and set it up to access your Calibre library directly.

Both options work well, but take a bit of work to set up.

cheers

Last edited by Leep; 09-25-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Cockeye
Cockeye began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
I keep seeing people saying this, but literally months of googling has shown no way of doing it. I presume that it can't be discussed on here.
Cockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #9
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye View Post
I keep seeing people saying this, but literally months of googling has shown no way of doing it. I presume that it can't be discussed on here.
And on that note, I love cabbages.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye View Post
This has been discussed numerous times on here. I have emailed Overdrive and they have told me that it is up to Apple to support the timed DRM not them. As Apple are highly unlikely to do so I would suggest it is unlikely to ever happen

Which is making me consider ditching my ipad as a reader....
It's too bad that Overdrive is taking such a backwards attitude considering the number of iOS devices on the market.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
It's too bad that Overdrive is taking such a backwards attitude considering the number of iOS devices on the market.
I wouldn't trust what their customer service reps are saying. They may not be in tune with what their developers are working on.

Take a look at a comment from an Overdrive rep on one of their blog entries. The comment was made September 24, so it's pretty recent.

http://overdriveblogs.com/library/20...l/#comment-787

Quote:
Currently the iPad is compatible with OverDrive WMA and MP3 audiobooks that are transferred from a Windows PC. Mac users are able to transfer MP3 audiobooks to their iPad. We are developing an eBook app for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch however we do not have a release date to share at this time. When it’s available, we’ll definitely post the information on the blog.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A couple of links about this:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/p...s,1306638.html

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...Reader+blog%29
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Scurzuzu
Scurzuzu doesn't litterScurzuzu doesn't litter

Device: Kindle / iPhone / iPad
looks like the Bluefire app (free) can authorize OverDrive files

Just saw this via Teleread this morning. Looks like it will do the job until Overdrive's app comes out (maybe in December?).

http://mobiputing.com/2010/11/how-to...-on-an-iphone/

http://blog.libraryjournal.com/ljins...sync-required/

The first link is the original. The second link shows an alternative way of just emailing yourself the acsm file so that you don't have to rely on iTunes or bother with syncing.
Scurzuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
Hopefully, by now, you've found Bluefire.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote