Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It hasn't changed my life, though it did make some parts of it a bit easier.

For example: I always had a book in my pocket or bag. I still always have a book in my pocket or bag. Except that book is now more portable. I've always read from a lot of authors I had never heard about, and I still do that, but again, it's become easier.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Because I write and edit fiction and spend most of my reading time in editor mode, I'd lost the ability to immerse myself in fiction for pleasure. But with Kindle, which is different than reading on paper, that joy is coming back.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Yes it has -- that was the whole point of getting it.

I couldn't read as much or as often as I wanted to, and buying the reader enabled me to be able to get more books (without having to fuss over where to store or stack them), for less money (I used to spend $10 - 15 per paperback, $15 - $25 for hardcover), and much more portable and accessible.

I'm still not reading as much as I would like, but I'm reading a lot more than I was before!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Uh, no. It's a tool. I had a life before I got one, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Storage space is a premium when commuting on a motorcycle. Having an ebook reader means not having to sacrifice reading a specific book because of physical size.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Oui

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has owning a reader changed your life in any way?
Well, yes. Whether we choose to look at it directly or indirectly, the device (or in my case, devices) and the medium have attracted many readers to Mobileread. For tools, advice, ebooks, and so forth. But it's the members who make this forum most interesting, and for that, we should be grateful. May the higher powers bless Patricia, now deceased, and all the other volunteers and contributors to this site. You folks have changed my life.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I've always been a reader. But like you, Jon (please don't faint), I find myself drawn to more varied subject matter now. I read a lot more "novels" than I used to, before I stuck fairly closely to my favorite genre-within-a-genre, cozy mysteries. (If you don't know what that is, go to http://www.cozy-mystery.com , they explain it bettter than I do.)

However, as much as I adore my reader (past and present devices included), I don't think it's solely the reading device that has changed my habits. A lot of it has to do with the fact that information on authors and books and new releases is so much more readily available now than it was even ten years ago. For example, I have an extensive list of authors on my Facebook page, so I'm always up to date with their latest projects. Back when I got hooked on mysteries (thanks to my mother), we found out about new stuff by bookstore bulletins, or by sheer chance, or if we were really lucky, getting on an author's snail mail newsletter list. We had limited information, and therefore, limited opportunity.
Getting free eBooks helps a lot. We didn't get free paperback books so, trying an author or book we may or may not like was a lot more risky. With getting free eBooks, if we don't like something, we won't feel bad not finishing it or not continuing with the series/author.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Well, just because you had a life before your PADD doesn't mean the acquisition of your PADD doesn't mean life cannot change.

And for those who do not know, PADD was the first name for a hand held standalone smallish device for reading with. The name came from Star Trek: TNG.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One thing I've noticed and this is a very good thing is that nobody's life has changed for the worse due to having a PADD.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #25
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
So did I. E-books and e-book readers have simplified that life.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #26
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
It's been harder to find the time to read now that i have children. Reading on an LCD smartphone made it possible to read again in small quantities. Reading on an e-Ink device makes it possible to read 2-3 books a week, a level I haven't maintained since I worked in my library/bookstore/publishing career (over 10 years ago).

I've read 110 books in 8 months, compared to 60 all last year.

So e-Ink has been a HUGE life changer for me. I'm a lot saner and happier when I can read, so it makes me a better person (to be around).
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #27
gilag
gilag is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Nexus One, EeePC 900, Sony PRS-300
It has very much changed my life. I went from reading the occasional book, maybe every six months or so, to reading a book a week. Strange how I find it much easier to read on a screen than I do on paper.
gilag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #28
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
LOL, no. I was an addict before and now the nook just makes it easier to carry around my stash.
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #29
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And for those who do not know, PADD was the first name for a hand held standalone smallish device for reading with. The name came from Star Trek: TNG.
Thanks for that interesting tidbit.
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #30
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
No, unless you call putting off things I SHOULD be doing changing my life, but this forum is more to blame than my 300.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote