Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Red face Jetbook and DRM

This may be a stupid question, but I'm just confused about DRM and I am not tech savvy. Although I have a Sony 505 and 700, I was really intrigued by the jetbook. After reading the reviews and seeing the supported formats I ordered one, which I now await with bated breath. Now, I have been reading that it does not support DRM protected material. It supports epub and mobi pocket among others however. From what I understand, the books I down load onto my Sony devices from the Sony store cannot be down loaded onto another device like a kindle, ebw, or whatever and that this is because of the DRM protection of the bbeb format on the Sony. But there are other sites I go to which offer books in other formats which are also accepted on the Sony. With this in mind, are the books at the other sites such as Diesle and eBooks.com DRM'd as well, even though they can be down loaded to any device which supports the formats they offer such as epub or Adobe pdf? And, even though the jetbook supports these formats it will not display their books even though they are in one of the formats it supports? And, what is the chance of ECTACO upgrading its firmware to support DRM'd material?

If it doesn't, I still have classical authors such as H. Rider Haggard, Robert E. Howard, Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, etc. which it can display.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As you say, Sony's own LRX ebooks are locked to their devices only. The Sony PRS-505 and 700 also support PDF and ePub with (and without) Adobe DRM. Most ePubs and PDFs you download from ebook stores include Adobe DRM, but their are exceptions. It is possible to circumvent Adobe DRM, search for ADEPT in a thread's title for more information including a discussion of when this is legal. Once an ebook is DRM free, you can also format shift it to the best format for the device (e.g. with Calibre). So if you don't like the jetBook's ePub, try its FB2 (say).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
some companies publish new books in DRM free format. For example
17 full books in ePub format available for free from
Harlequin website
I downloaded all these books and it look nice on jetBook screen.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Buying DRM-free ePub for sources of DRM-free ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
some companies publish new books in DRM free format. For example
17 full books in ePub format available for free from
Harlequin website
I downloaded all these books and it look nice on jetBook screen.
The 17 are give-aways. Normally they do have DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
So, let me ask this. If a sight offers books in the same formats supported by the jetbook, would I be able to download thems?
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I hope this helps.. From the MR Wiki....

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JetBook

# The ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader supports TXT, PDF, FB2, ePUB, MOBI/PRC, RTF file formats
# DRM formats: None

In my understanding... If a file must use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) then the file has DRM [members please comment if this is not correct]

If a format says secured then it has DRM.

So for the jetbook...

Sony Store ebooks (lrx)..... NO
Harlequin ebooks use ADE..... NO
[give-away page..... YES
but the freebies use ADE..... NO

Any ADE ePub or ADE pdf ..... NO

***There are ways around this but it requires some tech knowledge and scrips that MR doesn't give instructions for or links to***
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
The ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader supports TXT, PDF, FB2, ePUB, MOBI/PRC, RTF file formats
# DRM formats: None
Have patience
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote