Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #1
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Go-Fish from bsdgames

Son wanted it, so here it is! Not fancy but works, OLD school style

Needs kterm as it's command line. KUAL extension.

As a side note, I couldn't get more of the bsd games to work as they mostly need ncurses?? and they don't seem to work in kterm that way? Oh well. Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: zip go-fish.zip (7.1 KB, 105 views)
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I can well understand that they would need ncurses, since that is a de-facto standard for fancy (cough!) console interfaces. However, I don't see why that wouldn't work with kterm. At least when the TERM environment variable is properly set.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I can well understand that they would need ncurses, since that is a de-facto standard for fancy (cough!) console interfaces. However, I don't see why that wouldn't work with kterm. At least when the TERM environment variable is properly set.
Ah - maybe that was it - the TERM env. Maybe I can get that fancy boggle to work...
Old 11-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Also note that the Kindle bundles ncurses, but not ncursesw, which might be a problem for some apps.

You might also need to bundle a proper terminfo file for xterm, and forcibly use it: the terminfo db bundled on the Kindle sucks.

(cf. htop in USBNetwork for an example of doing just that).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-03-2014 at 10:53 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Also note that the Kindle bundles ncurse, but not ncursew, which might be a problem for some apps.
Duh....
But its a UTF-8 system and device!

Lab126 karma: (another) -10
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Also note that the Kindle bundles ncurses, but not ncursesw, which might be a problem for some apps.

You might also need to bundle a proper terminfo file for xterm, and forcibly use it: the terminfo db bundled on the Kindle sucks.

(cf. htop in USBNetwork for an example of doing just that).
The more I read, the worse this looks.
I don't understand the relationship between all these files - the terminfo directory/files and all the libraries? how can I know what I need or what to call? Should I just compile ncurses and use those libs and should I make a new terminfo file?

I don't see where htop calls or uses the terminfo file. TERM is set to xterm, is there a better one?

So much to learn here! Any help, please?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:54 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post

- - - -

I don't see where htop calls or uses the terminfo file. TERM is set to xterm, is there a better one?

So much to learn here! Any help, please?
Ah, a true case of hidden magic.
If the software is using it, it may well be 'hidden' from view (linked in statically).

Apps that recognize 'TERM' are using that setting as an index into the terminfo file (which is a sort of database).

That 'tells' the application what character sequences your terminal (or terminal emulator) 'speaks'.
I think KTerm defaults to 'xterm' and htop needs to send those character sequences.

Very, very "old school" - it has been around nearly as long as *nix.
So old, that I may have some of the above details wrong.
But the above is the general sense of what is happening.

- - - - -

'xterm' is probably correct, but there may be a 'linux' index also - you might try that.
(I think they are the same, or nearly so.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, I patched htop to set the TERMINFO env var to the directory shipped with USBNet (which happens to only contains the xterm file from a recent ncurses distrib, because that's what TERM defaults to over SSH).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
brianinmaine
Evangelist

I thought from reading stuff on the net that I could maybe set HOME and use ~/.terminfo as the directory? I'm really just playing/learning about this - it's not really worth it exect as an exercise. I'm not even sure how to tell whats wrong.

This is what happens:
I'm using the boggle binary from debian. I made a script to start it with some variables and use kterm. When I call the program from ssh, it starts the kterm window fine then just hangs - no errors or anything, just waits for something? Maybe I have to bind mount the wordlist file to the right place (I'm still struggling with that part also). Maybe it's the ncurses part.

Not really worth struggling with, I guess. Thanks anyway!