Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Audible - First in the Series Sale

Hello All

Audible are having a sale where the first book in selected series are only $4.95, I suspect that this may be the US store only but I'm not sure.
I spotted quite a few I'd like to try
http://www.audible.com/guestauthor/020712SeriesSale
I already have some books in my library to listen to but I think I'll probably pick a few of these anyway.
There are 55 to choose from.

Mel

Last edited by melmac; 02-07-2012 at 11:37 PM.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Actually, there are 272 to choose from. The 55 total you stated is for the Editors' Pick category.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh no you just made the decision even harder!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Oh no you just made the decision even harder!
Not really
  • 272 x $4.95 = $1,346.40
When's payday?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
darn you - i wasn't going to get any more books from audible! (i mean, thanks for the heads-up)

btw, the guy narrating the dresden files sounds just like harry does in my head, so storm front was one i picked up on sale.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Ack, I just added 19 of those to my wishlist. Now I have to go through them and decide which ones I can't live without.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
I just got 7 for 4.95 and paid 34.65 and saved 131.40. 5 were from my wish list. I am so happy. Now if I could just win the Lottery I would get a lot more...
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I need recommendations. I have a free credit and some money. I already got One for the Money. Any more series that fall along the lines of Stephanie Plum? I also like Urban Fantasy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
Kacetwo
Connoisseur
Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
btw, the guy narrating the dresden files sounds just like harry does in my head, so storm front was one i picked up on sale.
The way James Masters (Spike from Buffy) reads these stories is excellent. The extra little mannerisms during his narration really adds to the telling. I agree you really feel like Harry is telling you his story.
Kacetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I need recommendations. I have a free credit and some money. I already got One for the Money. Any more series that fall along the lines of Stephanie Plum? I also like Urban Fantasy.
Depends, do you like Stephanie Plum for the mystery or the romance? You can sort the list of sale books into Romance or SciFi/Fantasy, that might help you narrow down the choices.

Dead Witch Walking might appeal to you.
Storm Front: The Dresden Files, Book 1 if you haven't already read it.
Wicked:The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West was one I bought, I've seen the musical and it was fun.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
that was exactly the feeling i got from the sample, and what sold me on storm front. and i'll bet it sells me on all the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacetwo View Post
The way James Masters (Spike from Buffy) reads these stories is excellent. The extra little mannerisms during his narration really adds to the telling. I agree you really feel like Harry is telling you his story.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
melmac
Wizard

I think it's rather clever making the first book cheap so as to try and hook us into the rest of the series. I'd like to see more ebooks marketed this way too you do ocasionally see it but not enough imho.

I ended up with
Storm Front: The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 1 - Kevin Hearne
Split Second - David Baldacci
Open Season: A Joe Pickett Novel - C. J. Box

The first two are not my usual genre but I've heard such good things that I decided to spread my wings There where a few others I nearly got but ended up discounting due to not liking the sample narration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Perhaps Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers #1) by Heather Graham I haven't read this paticular one before but I have read Heather before and she's pretty good this one is supposed to have mystery with a bit of romance and a twist of supernatural.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Depends, do you like Stephanie Plum for the mystery or the romance? You can sort the list of sale books into Romance or SciFi/Fantasy, that might help you narrow down the choices.
Thank you. I love Plum because of it's over the top plots and chaos. I like the mystery part too. I like the comedy in most of the book. Some were a bit too much but it's like watching your favorite sitcom everyday.
Plum doesn't have what I call romance in it. Is has a love triangle but I wouldn't call that romance. She uses two men to get her job done. I love Ranger in the series not for love triangle part but I've always been a gal into superheroes and vigilantes like Batman and X-men comics. You know the tortured hero.

Two I have my eye on is the Dresden Files one and maybe J.D. Robb but was hoping for more recommendations. It doesn't have to be on sale as I have a free credit and then I was going to buy one that is on sale before my membership expires.

I'm new to this area of fiction. I always read romance but to me romance isn't something you want to hear on a audiobook. I listen to one of the Kitty Norville series on audiobook while back that was okay. I like Cormac in that series. So I am trying to broaden my horizons. Romantic elements are nice but not necessary.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

The Dresden Files sure have a lot of books in the series (13 so far). My libraries seem to have most of them in both ebook and audiobook formats. Contemporary fantasy/mystery is not my style, so I'll pass.

I took advantage of a Kindle Special Offer to stock up on the Dune series. Ended up with 11 of the 17 available. It's the only series I plan on owning. For everything else, I'll just use the library or do without. Audiobooks are way to expensive for my liking.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Another option is to check your library to see if any of these titles are available.