Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
walt526
Edge User

Borders eReader App for Android Now Available

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ew_ereaderapps

For those who need yet another outlet for purchasing ebooks, Borders eReader app for Android is now available. Not exactly sure yet what--if any--advantages they have over the other ebook stores. They use the ePub format, so it will run on the eInk side (unlike Amazon, which only displays on LCD).

EDIT: Just saw, it requires Android 2.x or higher, so no running it on the eDGe for the time being.

Last edited by walt526; 07-07-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
OncTech
Edge User

"2.x or higher"? Pffffft, it works fine on the eDGe. http://www.mediafire.com/?ij4qimmomid

Except the search utility for some reason (nothing happens when you hit go). But browse works and reading a book inside the App itself works basically just like the Kindle app: LCD only, flip pages by touching one side or the other. Except in my opinion it runs better than the kindle app; more smooth (go figure since it claims 2.x or higher).

EDIT: Downloading a book from inside the app appears to add some files to a folder called "BordersUS" and while there is a folder within called "epubs" the data for the book is not in epub format, but rather a series of html and xml files.

Now that said, if you just go to Borders.com in the browser, you can download pdf or epub and they work fine too without the app, and they run on the eReader side. Though in some browsers, the download file may show as "index.php" but if you rename it to *.epub, it will open normally on the eInk side as its true epub self.

Last edited by OncTech; 07-07-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
This also suggests that the Borders app would be a way to read enTourage eBooks (and other Adobe Reader PDFs/ePubs) on the LCD side. Anyone care to try that out and post the results? (Don't export an existing PDF from your Library, though, as that's then just an unprotected PDF of images of pages...)
Doesn't appear to work. Obtaining epubs and pdfs can only be done with the browser and not the app far as I can tell. The app also does not seem to have any way to open files that are not listed in your Borders account, only find books and download them in an unknown proprietary format. In essence it seems like a clone of the Kindle android app.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
MichaelV
Edge User

you can use these to convert pdf to epub. http://www.epub2go.com/Web/Convert/GetPdfFromUser.aspx . I prefer the epub format to pdf, magnifying is working better on epub.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
That's why you can open Borders ebooks on the eInk side
But I can't open them on the eInk side if I download them through the android app. Those only work on the LCD

Old 07-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
fibrou
Edge User

Has anyone noticed price differences for eBooks at the large book stores and eDGe's Store? Is it just me?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
fibrou
Edge User

Hmmm... I've noticed some are cheaper on eDGe, but others are cheaper at the other stores. I wonder what would cause the price difference.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
walt526
Edge User

Based purely on anecdotal observation, I've found Amazon to generally be cheaper than enTourage as is Barnes and Noble. Sony is usually more expensive than enTourage. But there do seem to be cases when each of them is at least tied for least expensive. And often the difference is not significant (although Sony sometimes charges several dollars more than the others--haven't noticed that degree of higher prices from the other ebook stores).

Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
fibrou
Edge User

What I meant to type was:

I suppose the invisible hand works in invisible ways. The pricing plot thickens! Maybe a "priceline" - like service will spring-up for eBooks. I think the eBook train is on its way out of the station.

All good.

Last edited by fibrou; 07-08-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
MichaelV
Edge User

amazon has the largest selection and better pricing, at least for me. I love SciFi

Old 07-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #11
jonnickell
Edge User

Amazon prices may seem less....but you can't write on a Kindle.....and the Kindle doesn't have two screens....one to keep the table of contents open on and allows you to skip through the book quite easily ( which is incredibly useful ). I bought Windows 7 Secrets from Entourage for that very reason and also because it was actually about the same price ( maybe even a little cheaper ) because I live in the State Of Amazon and have to pay taxes on my online purchases from them.. Though I still buy books for my Kindle mainly to read on my ipod when waiting somewhere and it was not conveniant to bring the actual Kindle.