Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
cbeth
cbeth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle Screen Issues and Customer Service

I just plugged my Kindle 2 into my laptop to add a book and when I unplugged it (correctly) the screen became very dark with white lines running through it. I've restarted it and charged it, and it's only gotten worse. I can't get it to reset to factory defaults. At this point, I'm assuming the screen is broken.

I've read that people have had this or a similar problem and Amazon just sent them a replacement Kindle. I have the screensaver hack installed, and it was dropped once. Will Amazon be able to tell, and if they can, will they not send me a new Kindle? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance. This is really stressing me out!
cbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A broken screen is not generally covered by warranty. Warranty covers manufacturing faults, not "self-inflicted damage" by the user.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
cbeth

Right, I understand that "self-inflicted damage" wouldn't be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. But it was only dropped once, quite a while ago. I've had absolutely no problems with it until last night. The screen just stopped working when I plugged it into my laptop, as I've done countless times before with no issue.

I'm just worried about the customer service process. Will they refuse to replace it because of the drop or the screensaver hack? I've read that a lot of people had the same or a similar issue and had theirs replaced without a problem, but those reports were a year old and I'm concerned that they're stricter now.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The only way you'll find out is to go ahead and call customer service. They might say flat-out "no," but they might send you a new Kindle or give you a discount on the purchase of a new one. I personally wouldn't mention the drop or the screen saver issue, as neither is material to whats going on now as the drop occurred a while ago, but that's up to you.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
cbeth

Thanks, carld. I wasn't going to tell them about the screen saver hack or the drop, I was just afraid they'd somehow be able to tell. I'll be calling on my lunch break in a few hours.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I just had 2 Kindles replaced in less than two weeks (my K2 and original DX) and CS will ask if your Kindle has been dropped or if there has been excessive pressure on the screen. Neither applied to my Kindles. The K2 had the sun fading issue and the DX will not charge.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
cbeth

Thanks, Tallmomof2. That's all, they just asked? They didn't have to verify it or anything? Seems too simple!