Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Weird signs in Sigil's menu

Hello people,

I'm using Sigil 0.2.4 in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (aka 10.4). I've been experiencing lately a strange issue with Sigil, concerning the fonts used in the program. For some reason, some Webdings-like font is used instead of, well, a humanly readable one. I was going to write a ticket in the project's page, but then I found it was not merely appearing in Sigil: it appeared in another program, the VLC media player. Thus, I assume it's something wider.

I'm attaching a picture to show the problem.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SigilWeird.png
Views:	359
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	57020  
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Both Sigil and VLC use the Qt Framework, so they query your system for fonts the same way. There's either a bug in Qt, or there's a problem with your system (I'd say it's you system).

There's nothing I can do either way.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
They're both QT4 apps, I think... Try typing qtconfig in a terminal and checking the settings for QT.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks I'll try fixing Qt. I suspected it had something to do with a framework. Now I notice calibre is complaining about Qt too, though no weird signs appear.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa

Well, I can give an update. OpenOffice was affected by the "pox" as well, and what worked was disabling the use of system fonts for the user interface. Could something similar be done in Sigil as well?
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Have you tried qtconfig? Have you reinstalled qt? What have you done?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa

Qtconfig, after a second proper reinstallation of Qt, worked correctly Thanks a tad!

It seems to have an issue with the usual font, DejaVu Sans, which gets it converted into Webdings. Other fonts don't have such an issue.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
capidamonte

Glad to help.