Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which ψ-φ book will we read in November?
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell 18 35.29%
Ubik by Philip K. Dick 6 11.76%
Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress 6 11.76%
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham 11 21.57%
Armageddon 2419 AD by Philip Francis Nowlan 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Wow, this is a strong pool! Want to read them all!

... But the PKD just sounds too cool.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I voted for Ubik since it's a PKD book I haven't read. I'm not sure that I'll have time for Cloud Atlas if it wins, though it is one I would like to read eventually and I will certainly give it a try.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 11-02-2012 at 03:25 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Honestly, I'll read any of them. They all look to be interesting and I haven't read any of them. I chose Cloud Atlas solely because the movie is coming out (or is out) and I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm excited to read Cloud Atlas. My reading challenge is so tight as the year closes that I probably wouldn't have been able to read it this year without it winning here (part of my challenge is reading all the winners this year).

And I respect that 500 pages is a bit long, but for me, after just finishing Anna Karenina at 1070 pages, and just now starting a few days ago on the second Kingkiller chronicle The Wise Man's Fear which is about 1100 pages, 500 pages after that will feel like a breeze!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
And the winner is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm excited to read Cloud Atlas. My reading challenge is so tight as the year closes that I probably wouldn't have been able to read it this year without it winning here (part of my challenge is reading all the winners this year).

And I respect that 500 pages is a bit long, but for me, after just finishing Anna Karenina at 1070 pages, and just now starting a few days ago on the second Kingkiller chronicle The Wise Man's Fear which is about 1100 pages, 500 pages after that will feel like a breeze!
Ha! I expect you, Bookworm_Girl, Crowl, fbrII, GeneS, Hamlet53, holymadness, issybird, jemc, Jillbee, jsmack65, kimberlyp, Latinandgreek, peanut78, Quake1028, Synamon, Tarana, and voodoo_pepperweb—to have that massive tome read and to be ready to discuss it by the 20th of November. I'll be watching, and points will be taken off for tardiness!

And the rest of you, do as you can. I've already started, but I'm not yet past the first massive chapter!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #21
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Sigh. I knew I should have voted for the Triffids.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I had a feeling the vote would end up looking similar to this. Happy reading!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And the winner is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Ha! I expect you, Bookworm_Girl, Crowl, fbrII, GeneS, Hamlet53, holymadness, issybird, jemc, Jillbee, jsmack65, kimberlyp, Latinandgreek, peanut78, Quake1028, Synamon, Tarana, and voodoo_pepperweb—to have that massive tome read and to be ready to discuss it by the 20th of November. I'll be watching, and points will be taken off for tardiness!

And the rest of you, do as you can. I've already started, but I'm not yet past the first massive chapter!
On it! Probably earlier then necessary, but wanted to be sure I did not come up short.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #24
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
First thoughts: I almost abandoned Cloud Atlas before completing the first story, because the Victorian literary style (not to mention attitudes) are roundly unappealing to me. I stuck with it, because it's the club selection, and the second story is proving to be humorous.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote