Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #271
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Alone in the Universe by John Gribben. In this non fiction work, he addresses some very interesting facts about the universe and especially our galaxy and solar system.

And he argues very convincingly about the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe (likely) and intelligent life (unlikely) elsewhere.

A nice (and very interesting) quick read.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #272
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Did anyone already read, or have a look at A Universe from Nothing from Lawrence Krauss?

I read some positive reviews, and he has a slick YouTube promotion video.

It's a bit pricey, but I'll probably cave unless a couple of people are willing to post bad reviews here
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #273
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
Did anyone already read, or have a look at A Universe from Nothing from Lawrence Krauss? )
Haven't read it but, if you do, please let us know what you think
Old 02-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #274
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That sounds like a really good one. I wish I didn't have so much else on my plate at the moment. Or were a faster reader. *Sigh* Maybe someday.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #275
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Krauss was on the January 13th Science Friday on NPR. The book is on my virtual nightstand waiting to be read.

You can listen online or download an mp3 here:
http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201201132
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #276
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

And I did read The Physics of Star Trek and it was very interesting. Based just on that, I'm putting A Universe from Nothing on my TBR
Old 02-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #277
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Krauss is interviewed on the latest Point of Inquiry as well. Sounds like a good book. It's on my to read list (which is getting terribly long).
http://www.pointofinquiry.org/lawren..._from_nothing/
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #278
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished reading How the Hippies Saved Physics: Science, Counterculture, and the Quantum Revival by David Kaiser. This is a strange one, but well-researched. Almost half the book consists of footnotes, bibliography, and index, but the index is well-nigh useless, because it contains neither page numbers, locations, or hyperlinks. The book centers on the personalities and activities of the Fundamental Fysiks Group and their sometimes drug/eastern religion/new age-induced efforts to come to grips with the philosophical ramifications of modern quantum theory, and how some of their results have entered the mainstream and altered science forever.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #279
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Just finished How I killed Pluto and Why it Had it Coming by Mike Brown. Very interesting and readable account of Pluto getting demoted. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #280
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Haven't read it but, if you do, please let us know what you think
I read it, and liked it quite a bit. Will post a more in depth review later.

One warning though, both my purchases ePub and the Kindle edition I got from the darknet to check, had their illustrations messed up. Annoying, but I could live with it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #281
Soldim
Not so important

As heads up for those interested in science books, there's a (relatively) new site/blog with pretty good science ebooks reviews:

http://www.downloadtheuniverse.com/

I found quite a few interesting suggestions
Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #282
androm
androm began at the beginning.

Device: none
http://ubreader.com/product/india-s-...tegory_science
androm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #283
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Carl Zimmer's A planet of viruses is the free e-bok of the month at University of Chicago Press. And in ePub format too (with DRM).
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #284
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Woo-Hoo! I've been wanting to buy that one but have put it off ... good thing!

I love Zimmer's work!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #285
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Woo-Hoo! I've been wanting to buy that one but have put it off ... good thing!

I love Zimmer's work!
We agree! He does great work.

I'm currently reading it, and so far it's good.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote