Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2024, 06:27 PM   #1
cboscari
cboscari began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Oasis
Kindle Scribe - Test email inside Calibre failing, help?

I own a Kindle Scribe, and it seems epub and mobi files will only allow handwritten notes if they are mailed to my Kindle. OK. but when I test my setup to mail from inside Calibre, I get this -
raceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/wizard/send_email.py", line 223, in test_email_settings
File "calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 181, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 750, in login
File "smtplib.py", line 739, in login
File "smtplib.py", line 662, in auth
smtplib.SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, b'Authentication credentials invalid')

Log:
connect: to ('mail.gmx.com', 587) None
reply: b'220 gmx.net (mrgmx004) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'gmx.net (mrgmx004) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready'
connect: b'gmx.net (mrgmx004) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready'
send: 'ehlo localhost.localdomain\r\n'
reply: b'250-gmx.net Hello localhost.localdomain [47.148.46.100]\r\n'
reply: b'250-8BITMIME\r\n'
reply: b'250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: b'250 STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.net Hello localhost.localdomain [47.148.46.100]\n8BITMIME\nSIZE 69920427\nSTARTTLS'
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: b'220 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'OK'
send: 'ehlo localhost.localdomain\r\n'
reply: b'250-gmx.net Hello localhost.localdomain [47.148.46.100]\r\n'
reply: b'250-8BITMIME\r\n'
reply: b'250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: b'250 SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.net Hello localhost.localdomain [47.148.46.100]\n8BITMIME\nAUTH LOGIN PLAIN\nSIZE 69920427'
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: b'535 Authentication credentials invalid\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: b'Authentication credentials invalid'
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: b'334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6\r\n'
reply: retcode (334); Msg: b'UGFzc3dvcmQ6'
send: 'RHJ1bWJhbmQ2OTA=\r\n'
reply: b'535 Authentication credentials invalid\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: b'Authentication credentials invalid'

This is from a gmx account. I have verified that the id is the complete email address ("EliteTrickster@gmx.us") and the password is correct. I can email my regular email account from within the gmx account. Any ideas on what this might be? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Chris

Last edited by cboscari; 02-21-2024 at 06:29 PM.
cboscari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:02 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You do not need to email books. The send to kindle website is more reliable, allows you to set the title and author correctly, and shows clearly whether a book converts successfully or is rejected.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:39 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Authentication credentials invalid means gmx thinks your username and/or password are invalid. If you are sure they are correct make sure you have enabled SMTP sending in the GMX account preferences as descibed in the FAQ https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-using-calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:30 AM   #4
cboscari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You do not need to email books. The send to kindle website is more reliable, allows you to set the title and author correctly, and shows clearly whether a book converts successfully or is rejected.
Thanks, I'm aware of how to do this from Amazon's website, but I like having Calibre to organize everything. Right now, I have to open the book folder in Calibre and send it through the web or with the Kindle app on my phone, which is a major pain. Thanks again though.
Chris
Old 02-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #5
cboscari

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Authentication credentials invalid means gmx thinks your username and/or password are invalid. If you are sure they are correct make sure you have enabled SMTP sending in the GMX account preferences as descibed in the FAQ https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-using-calibre
Part of the problem I think may be that GMX can't seem to text my phone an authentication code to verify my phone and I guess set up the account. I've emailed them about this, and verified it's the correct #, but no luck. They are very slow to reply at each step.

Is there a link to instructions that explain setup in a more general way? The only ones I've seen are specific to gmx and gmail. That way I could try with a different email service.
Chris
Old 02-24-2024, 08:47 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Setup an SMTP server and enter its details in there, server name port, username, password what kind fo encryption it uses.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote