Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Does Kobo Touch change orientation?

Sorry if this is a dim question but I can't find anywhere if I can change to landscape. This orientation would suit my case better as it then becomes a stand.
Thank you.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
PDFs can be read in landscape mode but not ePubs.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks so kuch for the info RareBird Are the books from the Kobo store epubs?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
The simple answer is yes. The more involved answer is that the direct downloads from Kobo to Kobo devices or apps (ie: when you sync said devices or apps) is known as a Kobo epub (kepub) specific to them. However, it is also possible to download an Adobe DRM ePub as well from their website.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Orn8one
Groupie

Ahh thanks. But neither will open in landscape, shame.
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Maybe it can be suggested as a new feature.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Not for Epubs, but you can with PDF's. Though I wouldn't recommend reading books in PDF.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Can you read your paperback book in landscape format?

You could use Calibre to convert your epub to pdf in two different layouts, landscape and portrait. Try reading both ways, see which way you like. Not as good as real-time rotation, but if you just want to experiment...
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Orn8one
Groupie

Many of the cases (especially the coloured leather) are book style so landscape would be useful as the front would then act as a stand. I shall carry on my search for a flip one. At the moment I use my prs650 one which is fine but I'd prefer it back on the 650!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
dlcmdrx
dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Does the kobo touch have a landscape web browser??
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nope !
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
"Does Kobo Touch change orientation?"

Absolutely not. Despite frequent and prolonged intensive contact with my Kobo Touch I remain a raging heterosexual... however, spending so much time reading has possibly affected my ability to prove it, hopefully only in the short term.

Ok, now I'm worried...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #13
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
"Does Kobo Touch change orientation?"

Absolutely not. Despite frequent and prolonged intensive contact with my Kobo Touch I remain a raging heterosexual... however, spending so much time reading has possibly affected my ability to prove it, hopefully only in the short term.

Ok, now I'm worried...
I may have to disagree with you. Since I got a Glo, it and my Touch have been spending a lot of time together...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I may have to disagree with you. Since I got a Glo, it and my Touch have been spending a lot of time together...
Hoping to breed a Mini?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
kepub.epub with epub 3.0
Edit: I just found that the KT does not care whether it is epub 2.0 or 3.0. The important part is in the css
Code:
html {-epub-writing-mode: vertical-rl}
And, of course, the extension kepub.epub.
Be aware that kepub.epub has some side effects (as no highlights or annotations without further manipulation of the html files).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape_test.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	97684  

Last edited by tshering; 12-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote