Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Searching questions?

1. Is there a way to search for the series_index, as well as the series?
  2. Same question, but for custom columns that are series-like. This is what i really want to do - I have a series-like column called "Award" where the name of the award is the series ("Pulitzer," "Hugo," "Hugo nominated," etc.) and the series number is the year of the award.
  3. Regex searches seem to be forced to lower case. Can I force them to be case sensitive? (I need to find some titles that were screwed up during early fetches before I fixed the overwriting of titles by default)
  4. Can I adjust the delay of "search as you type" I have trouble when doing several similar searches, so I have to turn it off.
  5. If I can't adjust delay time, when I turn it off, I can't search for news. Hitting "Enter" closes the window. Any tips from anyone?

Thanks!
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Any tips from anyone?
I'm sorry, I have no insight into this problem. Most of the time you seem to be the go to person for search info.

Bumping this back to the top.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
chaley's the search man, you'll have to wait for him.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I had asked question 1 earlier and did not open a ticket because I figured out another way to do what I wanted, but doubt it would do what you want

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=series_index
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
[*]Is there a way to search for the series_index, as well as the series?
No. I could add a series_index search term easily (just did it). Indices for custom series columns will take a bit more thinking, which I will do.
Quote:
[*]Same question, but for custom columns that are series-like. This is what i really want to do - I have a series-like column called "Award" where the name of the award is the series ("Pulitzer," "Hugo," "Hugo nominated," etc.) and the series number is the year of the award.
Answered above.
Quote:
[*]Regex searches seem to be forced to lower case. Can I force them to be case sensitive? (I need to find some titles that were screwed up during early fetches before I fixed the overwriting of titles by default)
No. The problem is that several places in calibre use case-insensitive matching, and the regexp searches must match the same things. Another problem is search history -- it uses case-insensitive matching to select which search from history you just used.
Quote:
[*]Can I adjust the delay of "search as you type" I have trouble when doing several similar searches, so I have to turn it off.
No. Well, of course you can by changing the value in the code, but I don't think that is what you were talking about.

Would a tweak be of use?
Quote:
[*]If I can't adjust delay time, when I turn it off, I can't search for news. Hitting "Enter" closes the window. Any tips from anyone?
Sorry, don't understand. What are you doing, and what window is being closed? I type 'news' into my search bar and hit return, and I get news.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I had asked question 1 earlier and did not open a ticket because I figured out another way to do what I wanted, but doubt it would do what you want

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=series_index
Thanks for the link. At least it confirms what I suspected - there's currently no way to search for series_index.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Apparently chaley just added it to next release
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have submitted code to Kovid to handle searching on custom field series indices. If you have a custom field '#myseries', then you can search for '#myseries_index'. You can use all the numeric relational expressions.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I have submitted code to Kovid to handle searching on custom field series indices. If you have a custom field '#myseries', then you can search for '#myseries_index'. You can use all the numeric relational expressions.
Many thanks! It's really useful for remote access via the content server (which does not show custom fields). Do any of the relational operators work? As in:

#myseries_index>5
Old 08-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do any of the relational operators work? As in:

#myseries_index>5
You have all 6: >, <, =, >=. <=, and !=. These should work on all numeric fields.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
You have all 6: >, <, =, >=. <=, and !=. These should work on all numeric fields.
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@starson17: Kovid has merged the series index code into the trunk version. If you get a chance, could you see if it works for you as expected? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
@starson17: Kovid has merged the series index code into the trunk version. If you get a chance, could you see if it works for you as expected? Thanks!
Every local test I could think of passed with flying colors. Thanks!

I can find the books that won a certain award in a certain year, or all the books that won that award in any year, etc.

I still have some tests I'd like to do to verify that it works via the content server, but they'll have to wait until I update the source for the machine that acts as my content server.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can find the books that won a certain award in a certain year, or all the books that won that award in any year, etc.
This sounds like an interesting use of series-type fields, one that I hadn't thought of. It sounds like you made a series column called (say) Awards. You then create a series for an award, say Nebula, and apply that series to books winning the Nebula. The series index is the year the book won the award, so some book might have Nebula [1993]. Do I have this right? If not, what are you doing?

If I am right, then what do you do when a book wins two awards?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
This sounds like an interesting use of series-type fields, one that I hadn't thought of. It sounds like you made a series column called (say) Awards. You then create a series for an award, say Nebula, and apply that series to books winning the Nebula. The series index is the year the book won the award, so some book might have Nebula [1993]. Do I have this right?
You have it exactly right. I started with Calibre in order to organize my books. Then I found it was no trivial task to get them all into Calibre, and I began to write code to solve minor problems with the adding process (Merge books, autosorting for similar author/title, etc.).

At last I'm at the stage where I'm actually trying to label books in ways that let me find what I want. Genre tags are what I mostly use, but recently I decided to identify books that have won an award or been nominated for one ("Hugo Nominated" and "Hugo" in #award, etc.).

Quote:
If I am right, then what do you do when a book wins two awards?
You're always causing trouble aren't you

1) Currently I pick the award I like best, put the other into comments and tags. All awards are also in the tags.
2) I may decide I need an #award2 and an #award3 column for overlaps. It would complexify searching, however.
3) I've considered a separate date-type column for each award, rather than my current system.

I've only added a few awards, and they haven't overlapped. I have overlapped some nominations in one year, with a win for the award the next year - I just use the actual year it wins.

As an aside, your custom columns are incredibly useful, even where I also have the data in tags.