Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-28-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Do you want to know a reason to buy an ebook reader?

unsure if you should make the move to get an ebook reader? well, here's one of the many reasons to go for it

it's 1:16 am and i just finished the book i was reading. i didn't feel like going to sleep yet, so i went to booksonboard and bought the next book in the series. within 2 minutes, i was reading it

i can't tell you how wonderful that is

and thanks to all the folks at mobileread for helping me choose a reader (in my case, the cybook) so i stop worrying about which reader to get and could get to the good part - the reading!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
So true. My husband finally got jealous enough that he got his own Kindle. He commutes by train so he loves that if he finishes his book while riding, he can get a new one right away or if he's not in the mood for his current book, he's got a bunch of other ones right there. He doesn't need to lug around several at a time just in case.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
oh yes, a reader is perfect for commuters
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Rather than a dedicated reader, I use a Palm OS PDA, but the same reasons apply.

I can't simply buy and download another book, but I have 3,500 ebooks on the device, so that's not a big deal.

I love having a library in my pocket.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
a library in your pocket ? i thought you were just glad to see me... ( sorry, i really couldn't resist !)

it's completely true though ; i can't just buy and download a new book either, but i do have over 100 on my liseuse right now, and if i can't find something i want to read among them, it must mean i don't actually want to read just then... i love having a library in my pocket as well. (i'm also glad to see you. they're not mutually exclusive.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
a library in your pocket ? i thought you were just glad to see me... ( sorry, i really couldn't resist !)
Oh, that? Check the other pocket...

Quote:
it's completely true though ; i can't just buy and download a new book either, but i do have over 100 on my liseuse right now, and if i can't find something i want to read among them, it must mean i don't actually want to read just then... i love having a library in my pocket as well.
I theoretically could buy and download books from my PDA. I have a Wifi card for it. But for reasons connected with security, it takes a bit of doing.

In any case, I prefer to roll my own ebook editions using Plucker, or get the wonderfully crafted Mobipocket editions the folks here create, and I stick them on my card with a USB reader. I accumulate new ones that way faster than I can read them in any case. (And I'm looking at upgrading to 4GB SD cards because I'm running out of room.)

Quote:
(i'm also glad to see you. they're not mutually exclusive.)
Likewise.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
oh yes, a reader is perfect for commuters
I commute by car and use audiobooks on my iPod (playing through my car's audio system) in exactly the same way. Really makes commuting enjoyable, instead of a "grind".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I commute by car and use audiobooks on my iPod (playing through my car's audio system) in exactly the same way. Really makes commuting enjoyable, instead of a "grind".
When I have to go into the office instead of working at home, I "read" books on CD in the car. I now have a small/tiny Sony MP3 player and I'm beginnning to rip my CDs onto it and organize in a playlist so I won't be attempting to change CDs in the midst of traffic!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I used to not like was if I was going out and was going to be reading say on public transport and the pBook I was reading was almost finished, I'd either have to leave it home and take a different book or take a second book for when I finished the one I was reading. Now I can finish the book I am reading and go on to another right away. Also, I am the try to sometimes have multiple books going at one time. So being able to bounce back and forth without having all the books with me is a good thing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote