Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #31
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur
Xaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1
As far as I recall, you cannot violate the DMCA by breaking the DRM yourself. If you tell others how you did it though, you might get in trouble, and developing+distributing tools which can break it is generally most frowned upon.

That said, I completely encourage people to bypass such idiocies. You buy a kindle, you buy some books, then you move to another reader and what... you can't read them anymore?

archangel9999 has the right idea. Outbursts of "morality" as by palex481 are uncalled for. If I want to buy kindle books and read them on a SONY, I still pay amazon money. When I hear "if you are going to go to this much trouble to violate the DMCA, you might as well just download illegal versions off the net" and "The legality would be the same" I start wishing for a negative karma contribution. If you do not support someone's stance, then say so. Or just ignore their question. Butting in with an "X IS WRONG!" statement in a "how do I do X" discussion is generally ... pointless.

I for one am grateful for the a refresher in the ability to read kindle books on sony, so thank you!

Edit: you know what? Inspired by this thread, if I can get Kindle for PC running under Wine I might just go buy myself the next Culture novel by Iain Banks that's coming out in October.

Last edited by Xaphiosis; 09-07-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Xaphiosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #32
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaphiosis View Post
archangel9999 has the right idea. Outbursts of "morality" as by palex481 are uncalled for.
palex481 stated this opinion about 2 years prior to you joining this forum. While I share your sentiment replying to people about statements made in a thread over 2 years ago is ... pointless.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #33
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur
Xaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
palex481 stated this opinion about 2 years prior to you joining this forum. While I share your sentiment replying to people about statements made in a thread over 2 years ago is ... pointless.
Oh. This is embarrassing. I stupidly assumed the thread was relatively new. You are completely right and I apologise for my necro-post.
Xaphiosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #34
nieperdragon
nieperdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadecasa View Post
Thanks to someones post, I was able to easily convert my MS Reader files to read on my New Sony 505.

Is there a converter that I can use to buy and read Kindle books on my Sony 505?

Thanks!
d
There are many views on DRM etc. I don't believe in stealing, but I remove DRM from everything I buy. I have ended up in the past with DRM protected content that I can no longer use because of a transfer to a new PC long after the password is forgotten or the licence file corrupted.

As far as the the Kindle is concerned. You can buy Kindle books to read in the free Kindle PC app.

If you wish to keep your copies safe or read on another device you need to google "skindle" and "calibre".

Good luck.
nieperdragon is offline   Reply With Quote