Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
fargo
Virtual Books Reader :)
fargo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Kindle DX, iPhone
Converting PDFs to Images

Before getting myself an extra expensive iRex iLiad, I'd like to know if it is possible to convert PDFs files to a series of images and conveniently read them on the device.

The reason I ask this is that I have lots of PDFs in non-Latin languages and as I know, iLiad does not support Unicode fonts yet.
fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I may be wrong, but if the fonts are embedded into the PDF, it should work.

Also, you can add your own fonts to the device if you have a bit of Linux knowledge.

If you have an example PDF to post, I'm sure people would be glad to test and see if it loads on the iLiad.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
fargo

Thank you Adam.

Two PDF files are attached to this post as samples and I'd be thankful to see screenshots for them while being displayed on iLiad.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf aLinuxRef.pdf (1.43 MB, 5731 views)
File Type: pdf SaheehB.pdf (82.9 KB, 453 views)
Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
The files show up fine without any conversion or font installation on my iLiad.

Excuse the bad quality of the images, my mobile phone was the only photo camera around. Maybe someone else can take better pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00123.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	12528   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00124.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	12529   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00125.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	12530  
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
fargo

Oh, thank you very much Thomas

I added the iLiad in the Cart and am just waiting clearer shots to click on Checkout button
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Here's a screenshot. It is a little deceptive because this makes the background look a little whiter than it really is, but it shows you that it is rendered pretty nicely. Thomas' photos are probably closer to reality in terms of the colour of the background, or perhaps a little darker, but the screenshot is closer in terms of how clearly the text is rendered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_080501_201348.png
Views:	446
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	12533  

Last edited by daudi; 05-01-2008 at 03:24 PM.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
fargo

Thank you daudi

I just placed the order
Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
fargo

I forgot to ask you guys about loading and page turn times!

I wish for quick replies as I have few more hours to cancel the order
Old 05-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Loading and page turns are exactly the same as for any of the things I have read on the iliad. E-ink in general is noticeably slower than LCD but as I think someone said here recently turning the page of a paper book is no faster.

And regarding your concern about cancelling the order, I think you have 7 days after receiving it to cancel and send it back, at least in some countries (all of Europe?). It might depend on which country you are ordering from.

BTW, I have to say that this PDF looks beautiful to me. I have no idea what it says (it could be instructions on how to get more than 6 items in the iliad contentlister for all I know), but for some reason it seems more pleasing than the a,b,c etc. in most fonts I have seen.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
fargo

It is good to know that the load and page turn timing is the same

The shop I’m dealing with gives customers few hours to cancel orders before processing their credit cards. The 7 days are still there if anyone wants to return what is purchased, but then, the buyer needs to wait for refund.

The ebook you opened is just a sample I compiled for testing iRex iLiad. It consists of few random pages from an old Arabic book written 1162 years ago!